PDA

View Full Version : I am looking for a hike from Texas to do the AT withme.

tomman
06-05-2013, 11:31
I am looking for a older hiker man or woman or even better both to hike the AT with me. I need someone that will start off slow and build up as we get into better shape. The mountains will be tough for me at the start because I have COPD. I would in fact like to find some one else with COPD if possible. If not someone that is willing to hike with me at my pace. The pace will increase as I get into better shape.

I would love to find a hiking partner man or woman or both to hike with here in Texas to get into shape to hike the AT next year. I am located in Garland, TX and have not hiked for a while. I do have most of my equipment and would only replace if I can find something lighter. I wish to hike as light as I can. I would love to hear any suggestions on how to do that. I will need someone to hike with me because I do not feel I can try it alone. If anyone man or woman is interested please get in touch with me and we will see what we can workout. I would love to do some backpacking here in Texas and also in Oklahoma in order into much better shape.

I have wanted to hike the AT for many years. I tried it in 2007 but had to stop because my heart was giving me problems. I came back home and had to have open heart surgery and they done a 4 way by pass. I talked to my doctor a few days ago and he said that if I get into shape there is not reason why I can not hike the trail now. I would take a cell phone with me just to be safe, he recommends that.

So if there is any one out there that would like to do some backpacking here in this area for me to get into backpacking shape please let me know and we will start working on it soon. I went out with a friend but he hiked must to fast for me and would not slow down until I got into better shape so I cannot hike with him. I know it will be hard to find someone that will hike the way I do at the beginning but I have to try.

I want to hike the trail so bad I will do anything to get into shape. I have not been to the gym in sometime but I am headed back. I still have a membership so I need to start again. I would love to hear from anyone man or woman that is willing to help me get into shape. As I said I want to hike the AT very badly. I want to hike the trail with someone else because it is always better if you share thing together. A mountain peak of a outstanding sun rise or sun set is so much better it you share it with someone.

I had a women on here that was going to hike with me but her daughter had a baby so she had to cancel. If she is still on here I would love to hear from her. I would also like to hear from anyone else that would like to try a hike with me. I plan to give it everything I have to complete the trail. I know there will be times I will want to stop but when those times occur I plant to go in to town and get a motel or hotel room for a night or so until I want to get back on the trail. I know I will want to get back because I want to hike the trail so bad.

I would love to hear from anyone who thinks they would like to hike the trail with me. I would prefer someone here in Texas so we can train together but any where is fine. If need be we can meet somewhere and train together there to see if we get along and have about the same hiking style.

Let me hear from you and we can talk together and see what we find out. I can be reached at [email protected]. Let me hear from you man or woman or both.

Tom

Cookerhiker
06-05-2013, 12:25
Tom, you may want to ask the mods to move this thread to the "Hooking Up" forum and to correct the title to read "hiker". Good luck - hope you find someone.

max patch
06-05-2013, 13:11
You might want to try www.meetup.com and see if there are any groups that interest you.

Below is a link to a search I did on that website looking for outdoor and adventure groups with 25 miles of Garland. On the first page is an 800 member group in Dallas and a 20 member walking group in Nevada. This will get you started, you should also search under some different categories. Good luck.

http://www.meetup.com/find/?offset=0&psize=64&currentpage=1&categories=23&keywords=&radius=25&userFreeform=Garland%2C+Texas%2C+USA&mcId=c75040&mcName=&sort=default

attroll
06-09-2013, 01:32
Moved this thread/topic to the "Hooking Up" forum.