PDA

View Full Version : TSA reneges on allowing trekking poles, knives on planes

HeartFire
06-05-2013, 16:03
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/05/us-usa-transportation-knives-idUSBRE95419W20130605

oh well, back to where we were.

coach lou
06-05-2013, 16:05
TSA even talking about knives back on planes shows what a joke TSA is.

BuckeyeBill
06-05-2013, 16:16
It has been a while since I have flown, and I am wondering the best way to check your pack? Shoud I box it up and chec it through the ticketing counter? SHould I ship it ahead via UPS or Fed Ex? Or will just sending it thr9ough checked baggage as it is be the best way? On the ouside of the pack will be my trekking poles and I really don't want to baggage handlers to bend them during loading. Thanks In Advance.

HeartFire
06-05-2013, 16:30
I put my pack in a duffle bag type of case - I don't want to take a chance on the straps getting caught in conveyer belts, and my poles are safe inside the bag. I got mine ar REI a number of years ago - it's just a soft sided duffle, It has a pocket at the top that you can zip the duffle into, and then I put it in a big envelope and mail it home.

Ktaadn
06-05-2013, 16:35
I put my pack in a duffle bag type of case - I don't want to take a chance on the straps getting caught in conveyer belts, and my poles are safe inside the bag. I got mine ar REI a number of years ago - it's just a soft sided duffle, It has a pocket at the top that you can zip the duffle into, and then I put it in a big envelope and mail it home.

This is what I do also.

Sevsa
06-06-2013, 19:34
I also use a duffle bag to put my pack in when flying. I did have to fly back from a hike once which I hadn't flown to but I was able to get an empty bicycle box from a store and wrap it up with tape. Worked fine.

Sailing_Faith
06-06-2013, 20:50

Yup,
everything is safe inside, even your pocket knife (checked of course). Just don't forget to remove any compressed gas (stove fuel) from your kit.

Wise Old Owl
06-06-2013, 20:52
SF do the right thing. remove SailsET post from signature.

johnnybgood
06-06-2013, 20:55
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/05/us-usa-transportation-knives-idUSBRE95419W20130605

oh well, back to where we were.

Same as it ever was...same as it ever was...

slow mind
06-06-2013, 20:56
Knives? really.... ok but no box cutters please.
I could be mistaken but I recall hearing that in the med. exam for becoming an employee of the TSA involved a large syringe that is used to suck out 350cc's of sense of humor and re-inject you with 600cc's of self importance?