PDA

View Full Version : Trail update - June 5th - Reds Meadow Resort

i_Hike
06-05-2013, 16:56
Reached Red's Meadow today, heading into Mammoth for dinner and drinks. Started from Yosemite on May 30th.
- encountered snow on 2nd day in Yosemite, just a few miles past Half Dome.
- snow over Donohue Pass is pretty bad. Just about everyone we met, including us, got lost for a bit.
- slow going as much of trail is covered by snow. GPS has helped a few times already
- weather has been great everyday, feels like high 70's
- Mosquitos have been okay. Pretty bad around areas you'd expect. Lakes, wooded areas etc.
- snow melting very fast
- mud not to bad, wearing trail runners and didn't bring gaiters, And wouldn't change a thing. Shoes, socks dry out in 30 mins during stop for lunch
- post office/grill at Toulumne Meadows is open 11am-5pm
- best campsites so far have been Cathedral Lakes and site on lake just before final ascent to Donohue Pass, (north side)
- stopped filtering water after Lyell Canyon
- Have passed about 6 PCTers. They know of atleast 30 behind them.Said some passes, Mather, were pretty difficult due to snow. But otherwise manageable. Hopefully their tracks will clear the way
- half dome was cool. Looks scary, but not so bad

thats it for now...

DaFireMedic
06-05-2013, 19:01
Reached Red's Meadow today, heading into Mammoth for dinner and drinks. Started from Yosemite on May 30th.
- encountered snow on 2nd day in Yosemite, just a few miles past Half Dome.
- snow over Donohue Pass is pretty bad. Just about everyone we met, including us, got lost for a bit.
- slow going as much of trail is covered by snow. GPS has helped a few times already
- weather has been great everyday, feels like high 70's
- Mosquitos have been okay. Pretty bad around areas you'd expect. Lakes, wooded areas etc.
- snow melting very fast
- mud not to bad, wearing trail runners and didn't bring gaiters, And wouldn't change a thing. Shoes, socks dry out in 30 mins during stop for lunch
- post office/grill at Toulumne Meadows is open 11am-5pm
- best campsites so far have been Cathedral Lakes and site on lake just before final ascent to Donohue Pass, (north side)
- stopped filtering water after Lyell Canyon
- Have passed about 6 PCTers. They know of atleast 30 behind them.Said some passes, Mather, were pretty difficult due to snow. But otherwise manageable. Hopefully their tracks will clear the way
- half dome was cool. Looks scary, but not so bad

thats it for now...

Wow, you're well on your way. Forester is the only other pass that scares me if theres a lot of snow. Enjoy Mammoth, its a great place for a zero day.

Malto
06-05-2013, 19:28
Forester is a pussy cat compared with Mather. Early season Mather is a bear with the cornice. Now, this year it should be easy since there is so little snow in the Sierra this year. There are already thru hikers beyond Sierra City and its still early June.

mxracer33x
06-05-2013, 20:45
Awesome to hear. Im in my office dreaming of being on the trail. Only 25..I mean 24 more days to go. Well 23 work days, todays basically over. Its getting closer!

i_Hike
06-05-2013, 22:37
Yes, many have said Forester is tame compared Mather. One PCTer said she had to basically self arrest/ slide down from rock to rock as it is very snowy/icy.

i already postholed up to my waist on top of Donohue. Banged my shin up pretty good on a rock. Not so fun.
Mammoth, and reds meadow resort are awesome. Devils postpone was a bit of a let down to be honest though...

1Greywolf
06-06-2013, 08:46
I thought Pinchot Pass was bad. Snow and ice will kick it up a few notches. Just 33 days before departure and getting antsy.Hopefully by July 10th most of the snow should be gone. The post office/grill at Toulumne Meadow is that a legitimate post office? or where they hold your mailed resupply for a feee?Thank you for the updates and great going.

i_Hike
06-06-2013, 10:01
Toulumne is Not official post office. Can't send stuff from there. There is no fee though.

i_Hike
06-06-2013, 10:31
I'll check back in from VVR in a few days. Enjoy!

DaFireMedic
06-06-2013, 12:15

Get the Ribeye, it rocks.....

sterling98
06-06-2013, 16:22
Do you think I will need microspikes for a June 19th start? (SOBO thru of the JMT)

Thanks!

Malto
06-06-2013, 17:53
No..........

1Greywolf
06-07-2013, 14:58
Toulumne is Not official post office. Can't send stuff from there. There is no fee though.

Thank you, the no fee is good. Are you keeping a journal of your hike?
Where? Stay strong and happy trails.

Bigglesworth
06-09-2013, 08:31
Thanks for the updates!

Lone_Star
06-16-2013, 13:16
Does anyone know the cost of the shuttle bus from Red's Meadow to Mammoth Lake? I've heard it's free for backpackers/hikers but then I've also heard it's $7 each way. Which is it?

Dogwood
06-16-2013, 15:38

Get the breakfast burrito... it rocks too!

Does anyone know the cost of the shuttle bus from Red's Meadow to Mammoth Lake? I've heard it's free for backpackers/hikers but then I've also heard it's $7 each way. Which is it?

I've always told the bus driver I was taking the bus back to Reds Meadow the following day and he's given me a paper pass for the next day to avoid having to pay both ways. You can walk, hitch, or take the bus(they allow you to get on and off after paying just once) to the FREE HOT HOT HOT bathouses down the road from RM. Take advantage of these showers! Occasionaly, you'll find people heading out to ML and from ML Ski Resort back to RM so I hitch it sometimes. I've ALWAYS gotten hitches in short order both ways.

DaFireMedic
06-16-2013, 16:44

It cost me $20 both ways for myself and my two son's last year (I believe that is the 3 day single vehicle rate). We caught the bus near Reds Meadow and rode up to the ski area, where the driver walked us over to the window to pay. The shuttle from the ski resort down into Mammoth Lakes and back is free both ways for hikers (it's the mountain bike park shuttle bus).

i_Hike
06-17-2013, 00:07
Hi. In Independence, CA. Hiked over Kearsarge Pass for final resupply. That coupled with Glen pass made for a tough day.
Staying at Mount Williamson Motel. great place!

Wasn't able to check in from VVR. Didn't want to spend any more money there for internet. Food was great though. Free tenting but they still somehow milk alot of money out of you.

Muir- most snow. Very passable though as it is not very steep.
Mather- steep, but very little snow
Glen - did that today, toughest yet. Alittle snow on North side.

no need for ice axe or micro spike, etc.
have passed nearly 100 PCTers. Have not encountered many JMTers, but have heard there may be 20+/- ahead of us.
Weathers been great, just one day of rain for about 4 hours.
Still no bear sisightings
Looking forward to finishing up on Whitney in a few more days!

Lone_Star
06-17-2013, 01:21
Couple of questions: How did you get from the Onion Valley TH to Independence? Hitch? Shuttle? And how far is it from the TH to Independence? I believe the Mt. Williamson Motel offers a shuttle ride BACK to the Onion Valley TH, but it costs $40, which I think is outrageous. If it's not too far and I can't hitch, I'm wondering if it's hikeable? Finally, what kind of elevation change from Kearsarge to the Onion Valley TH? My guidebook only shows the elevation profile along the trail, not when you off the JMT. I'm assuming the 7.5 miles down to the Onion Valley TH is all down, but not sure how much elevation change is involved? I'd like to know so I can prepare for the climb back up. You're almost done, so get psyched!

Malto
06-17-2013, 07:19
Couple of questions: How did you get from the Onion Valley TH to Independence? Hitch? Shuttle? And how far is it from the TH to Independence? I believe the Mt. Williamson Motel offers a shuttle ride BACK to the Onion Valley TH, but it costs $40, which I think is outrageous. If it's not too far and I can't hitch, I'm wondering if it's hikeable? Finally, what kind of elevation change from Kearsarge to the Onion Valley TH? My guidebook only shows the elevation profile along the trail, not when you off the JMT. I'm assuming the 7.5 miles down to the Onion Valley TH is all down, but not sure how much elevation change is involved? I'd like to know so I can prepare for the climb back up. You're almost done, so get psyched!

hitch it. Is it hikable, yes but don't even try. In the summer the heat will be absolutely brutal as you head down the valley. I hiked most of that road on a snowshoe trip since the road was closed due to snow. It is a long haul and the elevation loss is about 5000'. There will be a fair number of folks coming and going, rides are not known to be hard to get.

i_Hike
06-17-2013, 08:43
JMT Kearsarge Pass Junction - 10760 ft
Top of Kearsarge Pass - 11760 ft
Onion Valley - about 9000 ft
Independence - about 5000 ft
We hitched down here. Very easy. You do not want to walk. Yes, MT Williamson charges $40. But you can see why when you see road.
And don't be fooled. 7.5 miles to Onion Valley in not all downhill... 3.5 miles up to the pass, and then 4 miles down hill. I would avoid resupply here if you can. From the JMT we are only about 35 miles to top of Whitney, and having to hike 15 miles off the trail to resupply for 2-3 days doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. MTR should be opening up soon for resupply.

getting ready for free/built in breakfast at MT Williamson Motel, than a very tough 7.5 back to the trail (we paid for shuttle back to trail head, as we are trying to leave early) Nearly 3000 ft up in 4 miles...hoping to get as close to Guitar lake tomorrow night as possible
Enjoy

Lone_Star
06-17-2013, 22:12
hitch it. Is it hikable, yes but don't even try. In the summer the heat will be absolutely brutal as you head down the valley. I hiked most of that road on a snowshoe trip since the road was closed due to snow. It is a long haul and the elevation loss is about 5000'. There will be a fair number of folks coming and going, rides are not known to be hard to get. Thanks, that's good info. 5000' elevation loss is significant! Looks like I'll be hitching then, but I was inquiring about the distance into town just in case I was unable to get a ride.

Lone_Star
06-17-2013, 22:23
JMT Kearsarge Pass Junction - 10760 ft
Top of Kearsarge Pass - 11760 ft
Onion Valley - about 9000 ft
Independence - about 5000 ft
We hitched down here. Very easy. You do not want to walk. Yes, MT Williamson charges $40. But you can see why when you see road.
And don't be fooled. 7.5 miles to Onion Valley in not all downhill... 3.5 miles up to the pass, and then 4 miles down hill. I would avoid resupply here if you can. From the JMT we are only about 35 miles to top of Whitney, and having to hike 15 miles off the trail to resupply for 2-3 days doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. MTR should be opening up soon for resupply.

getting ready for free/built in breakfast at MT Williamson Motel, than a very tough 7.5 back to the trail (we paid for shuttle back to trail head, as we are trying to leave early) Nearly 3000 ft up in 4 miles...hoping to get as close to Guitar lake tomorrow night as possible
Enjoy
Thanks for the info. I was planning to get off the JMT @ Kearsarge and head into Independence for a zero day because it looks like a long, hard haul from the Muir Trail Ranch to Whitney. I'll be fully packed out when I leave VVR, but by Kearsarge I will be in need of resupply and some R&R. I know the MTR has a store for one last top-off of supplies, but I'm not sure how well stocked they are? I do not have a permit yet, so I do not know what day I will start the JMT or when I will be at the MTR, so I'm choosing NOT to send drops. Logistically, it seems simpler to resupply at stores along the way (Tuolumne Meadows, Reds Meadow/Mammoth Lake, VVR, MYT, Independence). I hope that's a doable option - if not, holla! Have a great hike!

Coffee
06-18-2013, 07:45
, it seems simpler to resupply at stores along the way (Tuolumne Meadows, Reds Meadow/Mammoth Lake, VVR, MYT, Independence). I hope that's a doable option - if not, holla! Have a great hike!

MTR doesn't sell food although I have read that they have a small store selling items like canisters, postcards, first aid items, etc. I have, however, read that the MTR hiker barrels are often overflowing with food left by other hikers. I am sending a resupply to MTR for sure.

Sly
06-18-2013, 07:49
Toulumne is Not official post office.

Yeah, it is.

http://tinyurl.com/k9bgfyo

I would avoid resupply here if you can. From the JMT we are only about 35 miles to top of Whitney, and having to hike 15 miles off the trail to resupply for 2-3 days doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

While it makes more sense going northbound, the Kearsarge Pass Trail is absolutely beautiful. You're still in the Sierra (arguably the best backpacking in the US), an extra 15 miles is well worth the effort.

i_Hike
06-21-2013, 01:28
Sure doesn't operate like a post office . Can't send packages out from there. Hours of operation vary depending on what time the guy wants to be there. It is in a tent, they pick mail up from real post office from another location a few times a week.

i_Hike
06-21-2013, 01:55
And yes, if you have the time, I recommend hiking up every unnamed pass in the Sierra. However, for those who have to adhere to some type of timetable, make sure to account for a "zero day" for your resupply over Kearsarge in which you actually hike 14+ miles off trail.

DaFireMedic
06-21-2013, 22:33
And yes, if you have the time, I recommend hiking up every unnamed pass in the Sierra. However, for those who have to adhere to some type of timetable, make sure to account for a "zero day" for your resupply over Kearsarge in which you actually hike 14+ miles off trail.

I agree, I wouldn't recommend resupply over Kearsarge. If you want to hike it to enjoy the hike, its understandable. But to walk that far off trail for resupply isn't practical, north or southbound.