PDA

View Full Version : Chafing: fix one type get another?

tlbj6142
07-19-2005, 15:06
This topic seems to get covered once in awhile, but always about a particular "area". So, let's list the areas where chafing can be an issue for some folks.

This problem can be quite debilitating and can cut trips short. Personally, I have cut more than one trip short due to chafing. Seems like you find a solution for one problem, and another area flares up. Can be a loosing battle for some. Also note its not just a body weight issue. While overweight folks may be a bit more susceptible to a couple of these issues, they can, and do, occur with skinny folks as well.

Top of the thighs. This probably the most common. Can be fixed by wearing spandex shorts and/or various salves (like Body Glide). Keeping the area dry doesn't really help as the rubbing is the biggest problem. I have noticed that the type of trail I'm hiking on have a big influence on this problem (same for #3). If the trail is narrow for long distances it tends to flare up more often than when walking along wider trails.
Scrotum. Typically from the legs rubbing against it. Never had this issue, but I do know others that have. Wearing shorts with liners (a la swimsuit) helps. Spandex shorts help, Body Glide? Some folks find wearing nothing helps, though I'm not sure how as that would seem to be the cause.
Behind the scrotum in the "folds of skin" that form the start of your butt cheeks. This one is difficult to resolve. Body Glide is probably your best bet. And, in my experience, going above and beyond during wiping helps the best. Spandex shorts don't always help, unless you really pull them up tight.
Buttocks (aka Monkey Butt): This is typically a hygiene issue as trail life tends make minor hygiene issues a big deal.
Outer Buttocks: This is a little different than #4. This one occurs, your buttocks rub together during normal walking. I get this, often though I suspect it has more do with trying to fix #1 by wearing spandex shorts (helps to squeeze buttocks together). Wearing loosing fitting shorts (or lined shorts) or Body Glide probably helps the best. Keeping the area dry helps. But that can be a losing battle during a sweating hike.
Arm pits: This typically from ill-fitting shoulder straps. And can be made worst when using trekking polls. Got any suggestions? Better fitting shoulder straps? Body Glide?
Feet: I doubt too many of us get chafing issues on our feet like many runners do, but I do know they fix the issue with Body Glide or similar products.
In all cases, taking a day, or two, off usually clears up the problem, but that doesn't prevent it from happening again.

Did I forget anything? If you provide a suggested solution, please list the number of the problem you are attempting to resolve. As not all solutions fix all problems. In fact, in my experience, some solutions actually help cause other problems.

jlb2012
07-19-2005, 15:19
I have had reasonable success using Gold Bond powder for 1, 5 and 6.

Footslogger
07-19-2005, 15:22
[QUOTE=tlbj6142]Scrotum. Typically from the legs rubbing against it. Never had this issue, but I do know others that have. Wearing shorts with liners (a la swimsuit) helps. Spandex shorts help, Body Glide? Some folks find wearing nothing helps, though I'm not sure how as that would seem to be the cause.
================================================== ===
Not an absolute here. The nylon mesh in some swimsuits can irritate more than the friction from the thighs. Everyone is different but a lot of male hikers have gone to hiking ranger (sans underwear) and have much less problem (myself included)

The problem is more than just friction in most cases. Friction is a factor but the real irritant is the salt from perspiration. Using gravity, it runs from other areas of the body to the base of your shorts (and sometimes down your legs). The salts, in and of themselves, will cause local irritation but what makes it even worse is when the perspiration starts to evaporate and the salts are allowed to stay caked on the skin (in this case, the scrotom).

One way to minimize or eliminate the irritation from perpired salts is to wash the skin in those "high friction" zones, either with a damp bandana that you ocassionally dip in a stream or pre-moistened wipes.

'Slogger
AT 2003 Chafe Sufferer

flyfisher
07-19-2005, 15:46
This topic seems to get covered once in awhile, but always about a particular "area". So, let's list the areas where chafing can be an issue for some folks.

Did I forget anything? If you provide a suggested solution, please list the number of the problem you are attempting to resolve. As not all solutions fix all problems. In fact, in my experience, some solutions actually help cause other problems.

Chafing, like blisters, usually involves moisture and friction. Unlike blisters, it often due to the way that cloth can act as sandpaper when it is soaked in sweat and then dries.

There seem to be two general types of chafing: wet area chafing which is more the rubbing off of little pieces of overly wet skin in areas where they don't dry; and dry area chafing which is often due to cloth rubbing the outer layer of skin off.

Body Glide is a great solution to both kinds of chafing, and almost every place where chafing can occur. However, even better is wearing clothing which prevents the problem to begin with.

Kilts help me with almost all forms of chafing except the chafing directly behind the scrotum on the midline.

Even better, I have recently used a breechclout which was far more comfortable than anything else I have ever worn while hiking. It is infinately adjustable and allowed me to adjust how much support I am getting.

In the book listed in my signature line below, I go into a lot of detail about chafing, its cause and its possible cures. Along with blisters chafing is one of the "bedfellows of friction."

In the following website, I detail the making and wear of a breechclout:

http://www.imrisk.com/breechclout/breechclout.htm

tlbj6142
07-19-2005, 15:52
Scrotum. Typically from the legs rubbing against it. Never had this issue, but I do know others that have. Wearing shorts with liners (a la swimsuit) helps. Spandex shorts help, Body Glide? Some folks find wearing nothing helps, though I'm not sure how as that would seem to be the cause. ================================================== ===
Not an absolute here. The nylon mesh in some swimsuits can irritate more than the friction from the thighs. Everyone is different but a lot of male hikers have gone to hiking ranger (sans underwear) and have much less problem (myself included)Good point about the nylon mesh. Some of them are a bit more comfortable than others.

And your point about salts makes sense as well. I often notice chafing as I walk around the office (I wear shorts to work). And its not like I'm sweating heavily, but I'm sure the salts could be the issue.

Freighttrain
07-19-2005, 15:52
think cool....
ya gotta keep your jimmies cool!! cutting the liners from swimshorts helps, also clean area and apply anti fungal ointment nightly... by AM your ready to hike

tlbj6142
07-19-2005, 16:00
Body Glide is a great solution to both kinds of chafingI should point out that Body Glide can, and does, result in a bit of a germ breading ground if used for the long term (like a thru-hike). Frequent washing is probably the best solution.
Even better, I have recently used a breechclout which was far more comfortable than anything else I have ever worn while hiking. It is infinately adjustable and allowed me to adjust how much support I am getting.I remember you talking about this a while back. It definately seems like a great idea. And, I know my wife would love it if I were to wear one while I mowed the lawn. As it would make it much easier for her to jusify the impending homocide.:D

Might have to give one a try on my text solo trip.

orangebug
07-19-2005, 16:01
Watch the construction of the shorts. I have Patagonia skivies which have a single strand nylon thread for the hem of the legs. This creates the friction for me, especially at the seam.

Any sort of lubricant can be useful. Diaper creme. suntan lotion/block, vaseline, runner's lubricants, Chapstick, olive oil, and others can work pretty well. It tends to be one of those problems that hikers have to experiment and find the solution that works for them individually. I frequently carry a large tube of diaper creme and offer it to those with that typical slow, wide based gait.

BTW, this would make a great article. Do you have photos?

:eek:

Footslogger
07-19-2005, 16:06
[QUOTE=orangebug]BTW, this would make a great article. Do you have photos?
================================================== ==
I don't ...but if I did I don't think they'd be the type of shots I'd upload here at Whiteblaze.

'Slogger

tlbj6142
07-19-2005, 16:31
BTW, this would make a great article. Do you have photos?I recently (this past weekend) had a really bad case of #5 from just one day of hiking 12-14 very slow and easy miles over a 12 hour day in the Cranberry Wilderness (WV). I hiked a bit more the next day (maybe 6 miles). I actually had blood spots in my underwear on the drive home. Ouch! Got home, took and shower and checked out my ass (BTW, its cute!) and it looked like someone painted a red ring about 5" dia around my a-hole.

What is odd is that I was wearing the exact same thing I have worn for the last 3-4 trips. And some of those trips were far more strenuous, etc. I'm still not quite sure why I had such a bad case on this trip. My current theory is that I wasn't sweating enough. On most trips, I hike such that I'm dripping with sweat most of the day. On this trip I was barely damp ('cause I was hiking very slowly taking quite a few GPS waypoints for a future trip with the kids), except for an hour long uphill right after lunch the first day. I think when I'm sweating heavily the excess water helps to lubricate, but when I'm just damp it provides increase friction.

Footslogger
07-19-2005, 16:53
[QUOTE=tlbj6142]I recently (this past weekend) had a really bad case of #5 from just one day of hiking 12-14 very slow and easy miles over a 12 hour day in the Cranberry Wilderness (WV). I hiked a bit more the next day (maybe 6 miles). I actually had blood spots in my underwear on the drive home. Ouch! Got home, took and shower and checked out my ass (BTW, its cute!) and it looked like someone painted a red ring about 5" dia around my a-hole.
======================================
Try using the pre-moistened wipes next time. Stop at regular intevals and clean yourself off. It'll make a world of difference !! I have found that some of the ointments are great at night while you're sleeping but not necessarily while your hiking.

'Slogger

tlbj6142
07-19-2005, 17:00
Try using the pre-moistened wipes next time. Stop at regular intevals and clean yourself off.I do use wipes after going to the bathroom, but not at "regular intervals". I'm not sure this would help. I guess it would remove the salts mentioned above.

Footslogger
07-19-2005, 17:51
I do use wipes after going to the bathroom, but not at "regular intervals". I'm not sure this would help. I guess it would remove the salts mentioned above.=================================
Try the ones that contain with Lanolin. At the first sign of discomfort give yourself a little field bath. I think you'll notice the difference.

'Slogger

tlbj6142
07-19-2005, 21:12
Try the ones that contain with Lanolin.Now that might make a difference. I'll give that a try on the next trip.

DLFrost
07-20-2005, 04:11
I carry Triple Antibiotic Ointment in the 1/2 oz. tube as part of the medical kit, and it can double for chafing as well as for use on blisters. (Put it on a blister before applying moleskin and you won't peel the skin off when you remove it later on.) Since it has to be replaced every year--you'll have to toss it anyway--you might squeeze out half of it to save weight.

I agree with being careful about underwear. Briefs tend to "ride up" on the trail, so I've gravitated to the type that extends a bit down the legs. I'd expect that the mid-thigh versions would help with thigh chafing. Currently I'm trying the ones sold at Target under the Champion label, "C9 moisture management trunk." (Dark blue, poly/nylon, 2.5oz, $9) So far so good.

I'm not so keen on wearing nothing underneith a kilt though... Underwear functions as an athletic supporter--it keeps your Valuables from getting knocked around. Heck, if it's really hot, why not just hike in your underwear? :banana

Doug Frost

Doctari
07-20-2005, 07:15
My problem with all of the types of chafing mentioned is lack of (noticable) consistancy. I seem to chafe or not under the same conditions. And, till recently when I started wearing a kilt / going comando (day hikes only so far) I wore the exact same shorts & undies. Last trip I lost the undies & went comando, this seemed to help, but I don't know if it was the loss of underwear or just "one of those things".

What seems to work, maybe: keeping the areas cool & clean, rest stops (I seem to not take any) zero or nero days to heal if aflicted. If able: nude sleeping seems to speed healing.
As I said, for me it is hit or miss, and none of the above may work, even for me. Iwish there was consistancy, then I could say "Oh, if I do this I chafe, so I will stop doing that" Or "If I do that, I don't chafe, cool" but I cannot.

Doctari.

tlbj6142
07-20-2005, 09:49
My problem with all of the types of chafing mentioned is lack of (noticable) consistancy. I seem to chafe or not under the same conditions.Amen. I have seen the same thing. One trip its a problem, the next it is not. And I'm wearing the exact same thing.

Looking back on this most recent trip, I do see a few subtle things that were different. I night hiked maybe 1 mile the first evening (before the slow 12-14 mile day), so I didn't bother to switch out of my spandex shorts for the night. Normally, I wear something loose to bed (like a pair of umbros). Also, I took no (not one) true break (pack off, shoes off, sit on something comfy for 10+ minutes) as I was hiking so slow I didn't feel the need. "Nomrally" I try to take a true break every hour or so. I know my feet took a beating because I didn't take breaks. I guess my ass did as well.:D

It was humid (probably 80%+ all day), but then when isn't it humid during the summer months when hiking in Eastern forests? Never.

tlbj6142
07-20-2005, 09:51
Heck, if it's really hot, why not just hike in your underwear?Basically, that's what I do. I hike in spandex shorts. Unless its really cold and/or raining hard. In which case, I pull my only pair of long pants (thin softshell) over the shorts.