Heater
07-19-2005, 15:25
This guy just completed the 7,700 mile hike! Way to go! :D

http://www.andrewskurka.com/

Now, Who will be the first to do it in a calendar year? :jump

The Solemates
07-19-2005, 15:41
Now, Who will be the first to do it in a calendar year? :jump

i propose no one. ive been following andy since he started, and he is an elite athlete that planned extensively for this feat. in fact, this was his second attempt at the C2C route. he routinely did 40 mile days, many times in adverse weather conditions.

Sly
07-19-2005, 15:58
ive been following andy since he started, and he is an elite athlete that planned extensively for this feat. in fact, this was his second attempt at the C2C route. he routinely did 40 mile days, many times in adverse weather conditions.

He may have "routinely" hiked 40 mile days but it appears by his projected mileage (and follow up) he averged closer to 25 miles per day. Not out of the realm for many long distance hikers.

http://www.andrewskurka.com/C2C/itinerary.asp

Mags
07-19-2005, 16:12
He may have "routinely" hiked 40 mile days but it appears by his projected mileage (and follow up) he averged closer to 25 miles per day. Not out of the realm for many long distance hikers.

http://www.andrewskurka.com/C2C/itinerary.asp

To quote his website:

"This narrow "hiking window" means that a sea-to-sea hiker must either average more than 36 miles per day for 7 seven straight months or plan to spend the winter somewhere more conducive to hiking year-round. I chose this latter strategy because I think it is more plausible than maintaining a 36 mile/day hiking pace, not to mention that it allows for a more enjoyable experience."

So he averaged 25 miles a day it seems.

Having said that..maintaining that pace is not something most people can do consistently and for long, esp for a self-supported backpack. Don't know if I could maintain that pace for 7500+ miles.

YMMV

Sly
07-19-2005, 16:35
Having said that..maintaining that pace is not something most people can do consistently and for long, esp for a self-supported backpack. Don't know if I could maintain that pace for 7500+ miles.
YMMV

I know, you tend to think doing 100 mile ultras in 24 hours is easier!

Your Colorado Trail mileage was close to Andrews mileage. Whether you can do it for 7700 or not, well, there's only one way to find out. ;)

The Solemates
07-19-2005, 16:51
guess so. i just know everytime i checked his logs he was always talking about pulling 40s. guess those days just stand out more in my mind.

Mags
07-19-2005, 16:52
[QUOTE=Sly]I know, you tend to think doing 100 mile ultras in 24 hours is easier!

I should be so lucky to it in less than 24 hrs..less than 30 is more my speed!

>>Your Colorado Trail mileage was close to Andrews mileage. Whether you can do it for >>7700 or not, well, there's only one way to find out. ;

Well that was only 21 days/480 (or so) miles. Don't know if I could do it for 7700. :)

Now, if only I could get the time off to try. :)