PDA

View Full Version : "Cheapish" 40degree sleeping bag under 2lbs

Durtydan
06-07-2013, 06:57
I have been looking to cut down weight in the ol pack and it seems like a good idea to start with the sleeping bag. I'm curious as to what the WB community uses or has used for 40 degree sleeping bags under 2 lbs. I've never had a synthetic, but am willing to jump into that field if it fits the criteria. The other deciding factor would be the packed size of the bag.

so please friends, throw me some ideas that won't kill my wallet or my back.

ps. I know there are plenty of other threads pertaining to this discussion but one more never hurt anyone

daddytwosticks
06-07-2013, 07:07
There was some recent talk over at backpackinglight.com about an inexpensive Wal-Mart down bag that may fit your criteria. Go on over and check the forum. :)

prain4u
06-07-2013, 08:08
I am all for getting by as inexpensively as possible.

However, that being said, you OFTEN get what you pay for. An inexpensive 40 degree bag might really be closer to being a 50 or 60 degree bag--and it might even lose its loft (and insulting value) much more quickly with repeated (or continual) use and/or after 1-2 washings.

My personal experience is that even a GOOD 40 degree bag isn't always warm enough for me--except for on the warmer days of summer. (And even during the allegedly warmer days of summer--there are some nights when it still gets cold--sometimes even cold enough to have frost).

johnnybgood
06-07-2013, 08:35
I know you said bag, have you ever considered looking at quilts ? Before you discount them,take a look at a few websites that sell them. A light summer quilt for $ 199 and under a pound , can be used during spring as well as early fall , depending on where you live.
The best part; they're made right here in the USA.

www.hammockgear.com/top-quilts

ridingpa
06-07-2013, 08:35
Dont know if they still make them but I have a G-light by world famous sports.. 40 degrees , synthetic, 1.5pounds and packs smaller than a football. Not waterproof but i have used it about 9times and no problems yet. I have used it into the upper 40 and stayed warm. When it gets colder i wear an insulated shirt and socks and beanie in my bag.

no-name
06-07-2013, 08:40
Suisse Sport Adventurer Mummy Ultra-Compactable Sleeping Bag http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TR7QZA/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I have used this bag down to 40 degrees, with clothes on, and it has worked out very well for me. I have used it about 25 nights in the past year, and it has exceeded my expectations. The specs say just under 3 pounds, but I have not weighed it.

DeerPath
06-07-2013, 09:27
I have been looking to cut down weight in the ol pack and it seems like a good idea to start with the sleeping bag. I'm curious as to what the WB community uses or has used for 40 degree sleeping bags under 2 lbs. I've never had a synthetic, but am willing to jump into that field if it fits the criteria. The other deciding factor would be the packed size of the bag.

so please friends, throw me some ideas that won't kill my wallet or my back.

ps. I know there are plenty of other threads pertaining to this discussion but one more never hurt anyone

http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/sleeping-bags/alpine-blanket-35/product (http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/sleeping-bags/alpine-blanket-35/product)

This system works great for me. Lots of room to move around in, if too warm - uncover, if cool at night - use silk liner.

FarmerChef
06-07-2013, 09:43
I use a Texsport Fleece Sleeping Bag ($17.99 on Amazon). It's comfortable to about 50 for me with a silk liner and I put on my smartwool/layers when the temps get down into the 40s. Works great for me. Shipping weight is 1.2 pounds. Probably a little less but I can't say I've actually weighed it. Of course, ymmv.

During the colder months, I sewed myself a 2 person Apex quilt that my wife and I use when hiking (I made another for the kids). It's good down into the upper 20s and weighs 35 ounces. It cost me $300 to make and I erred on the side of too much rather than too little. You could buy a professionally made one for less than that and easily around the 1.2 pound mark. Something to think about.

Tom Murphy
06-07-2013, 09:50
Cheap / Light Weight / Warm - pick two hahahaha

A quilt is what you are ulitmately going to want. Go over to hammockforumn.net & search check out the wnb pages for each cottage manufacturer.

I use a jacksRbetter quilt for >40 deg F overnight lows. Wasn't exactly cheap but I will never need to buy another one.

bigcranky
06-07-2013, 09:56
This bag gets good reviews (http://www.rei.com/product/847648/kelty-cosmic-down-41-sleeping-bag), it's not expensive, and weighs just under 2 pounds. I've not used one, though.

Slo-go'en
06-07-2013, 10:33
At Uncle Johnny's I saw a 45 degree synthetic Lafuma bag for $95 which weighed 1.5 pounds and compressed very small. (Uncle Johnny's is a hostel and small outfiter store in Erwin, TN. Lafuma bags can be found at numerous on line retailers)

I have a 45 degree lafuma down bag which cost about $160 and weighs 1.5 pounds. With a silk liner, thermal underware and in a tent, it has kept me reasonably warm into the 30's.

keepinitsimple
06-07-2013, 12:51
Eureka Silver City I think its rated to 35, weighs 2lbs, and I did not pay more than 50 buck, I think, I have had it for a long time- serves me well

Teacher & Snacktime
06-07-2013, 14:45
Dick's Sporting Goods has a fleece Bag 50* for 12.99 that weighs just over a pound.....Walmart can't even touch that. Quality? No. Functional? Absolutely. I figure I'll need to replace it every year...so what.

FarmerChef
06-07-2013, 14:48
Dick's Sporting Goods has a fleece Bag 50* for 12.99 that weighs just over a pound.....Walmart can't even touch that. Quality? No. Functional? Absolutely. I figure I'll need to replace it every year...so what.

Teacher - that sounds like the one I have. Costs virtually the same at Amazon with free shipping. I'll bet if we checked the manufacturing label we'd find they came from the same place. :) As for the quality, I will say that ours have lasted over half the AT so far and a whole bunch of smaller hikes in between. Still going strong. I will say this though. It is fleece with absolutely no wind protection. So if you are not sleeping in a tent, shelter or other something that keeps the wind off your bag you will be significantly colder than in still air. My quilt has a water/wind repellant barrier on both sides and an extra bit of fabric along the outside edges to keep drafts out for just this reason.

FarmerChef
06-07-2013, 14:49
Teacher - that sounds like the one I have. Costs virtually the same at Amazon with free shipping. I'll bet if we checked the manufacturing label we'd find they came from the same place. :) As for the quality, I will say that ours have lasted over half the AT so far and a whole bunch of smaller hikes in between. Still going strong. I will say this though. It is fleece with absolutely no wind protection. So if you are not sleeping in a tent, shelter or other something that keeps the wind off your bag you will be significantly colder than in still air. My quilt has a water/wind repellant barrier on both sides and an extra bit of fabric along the outside edges to keep drafts out for just this reason.

Sorry, I mean "you" in the general sense and more to the OP. I love my bag as I'm sure you do yours :)

Trebor66
06-07-2013, 15:50
I just bought the Marmot Cloudbreak 30 a few weeks ago for 119.99. It weighs a little over two pounds used it twice and it seems to be a decent bag for the price.

Durtydan
06-07-2013, 19:25
thanks everyone for the replies while I was at work. and Teacher and Farmer, I actually work at Dicks Sporting Goods in NJ and have explored a few options but nothing that hits what I'm searching for on the nose. the closest seemed to be the 40 cosmic down that was suggested and as of now, my colder bag is a 20 cosmic down so I can always resort to that which is a mere 109$ before my employee discount.
I don't know why under quilts didn't really cross my mind but that is an area I know nothing about and it might just work out fine for the hotter months. been hunting for a used marmot atom 40 online that someone wants to sell for a good price. for ~1.3 lbs, I'd spend a few extra bucks to get that beauty...anyone ever use it or hear any first hand reviews?
thanks again mates

Durtydan
06-07-2013, 19:33
and believe me, I understand that the three categories I'm trying to hit don't really like to work together (price, weight, warmth) but I enjoy a good hunt for the right gear and a great deal on that gear and all opinions/advice are greatly helpful in the process

Teacher & Snacktime
06-07-2013, 20:54
Sorry, I mean "you" in the general sense and more to the OP. I love my bag as I'm sure you do yours :)

I actually haven't tried mine yet...Snacktime an I are headed out in another week and we got these for the warmer weather and weight savings. We're fairly sure they'll be warm enough for 50+ nights.....and really, the price was too good to pass up.

prain4u
06-08-2013, 01:36
I have found the 50 degree fleece bags to be pretty darn chilly much below 60 degrees. I find them to be more of a VERY heavy sleeping bag liner than a real sleeping bag.

bigcranky
06-08-2013, 07:31
I have found the 50 degree fleece bags to be pretty darn chilly much below 60 degrees. I find them to be more of a VERY heavy sleeping bag liner than a real sleeping bag.

+1. I remember my old hiking partner tried one on a July hike at Mt Rogers. I don't think it got below 60 at night and he froze his tuchus off.

HooKooDooKu
06-08-2013, 12:05
Here's my suggestion:
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___42190
The Mountain Hardware 32 Degree Ultra Limina synthetic bag. The 'regular' size weights right at 2lbs for $150.
This is last years model, so it is a discounted by $70-$80 bucks (regularly >$200).

Don't let the temperature rating scare you. The bag has zippers on both sides. One is a 3/4 length for getting in the bag, the other is 1/2 to 1/4 length to let you fold it down if you're getting a little to warm.

There's also the 45 degree model:
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___42192
It's regular size is $130 and weights less than 1.5 lbs

Ablemob
06-08-2013, 19:07
I don't know your criteria for "cheap"; but it seems to me that the Mountain Hardwear Phantom 45 (800 fill down) for $179 at Campmor seems like a steal. Green color-older version I guess without the treated down. 1 lbs 3 oz as stated. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___44162

HooKooDooKu
06-09-2013, 19:51
REI just put the Mountain Hardware Ultra Limina bags in their Clearance website, and currently have a special where you can take 20% off a single item from the clearance website. The current net price on the 32 Degree bag in 'regular' size is only $128.
http://www.rei.com/product/860982/mountain-hardwear-ultralamina-32-sleeping-bag-2012-closeout

DavidNH
06-09-2013, 20:45
how much are you planning/willing to spend on this sleeping bag???

Durtydan
06-10-2013, 10:48
no real limit but if I can save money on the bag to put into other gear since its only a summer season bag, that would be best. it's expensive normally but I found the Thermarest neoair xlite alpine sleep system for under 250$ which has the neoair xlite, alpine 35 quilt, fast snap system, and pillow. has anyone seen this set up or heard if it is a good system to use? I have. Prolite plus but I'd be more than happy to get rid of it or keep it as backup if this is worth it for the price

MDSection12
06-10-2013, 10:54
I just got a really thin bag from Sport's Authority for $20. It's under two pounds and is rated to 45*... But some testing seems to suggest that it'd be too little much below 55*. I suspected as much, but I bought it as a Summer bag. So far my first night out it worked fine in roughly 60* temps. :)

HooKooDooKu
06-10-2013, 14:02
As a separate issue, I personally would recommend the neoair xlite. I carry the neoair xlite LARGE, while my kids carry the Prolite regular. The two are about the same pack size and weight. But their prolite is only 1" thick, while my neoair is 2.5" thick (great for stomic and side sleepers) AND is the LARGE (which means it's 25" wide so my arms don't fall off the sides).

BTW: To inflate a neoair without getting lots of moisture inside it, add a kitchen trash bag and thick rubber-band in your neoair stuff sack. Simply cut a corner off the bag (just big enough for the valve to go through), turn the corner inside out, push the valve through, and and lock the bag to the valve with a few twists of the rubber band. Turn the trash bag right-side out and capture air in it. Close the mouth of the bag and carefully squeeze the air into the pad. You won't be able to pressurize the neoair with a flimsy trash bag, but you'll be able to get 80-90% of the air needed in the neoair this way, only using your moist breath to top it off and pressurize it.

daddytwosticks
06-10-2013, 15:46
As a separate issue, I personally would recommend the neoair xlite. I carry the neoair xlite LARGE, while my kids carry the Prolite regular. The two are about the same pack size and weight. But their prolite is only 1" thick, while my neoair is 2.5" thick (great for stomic and side sleepers) AND is the LARGE (which means it's 25" wide so my arms don't fall off the sides).

BTW: To inflate a neoair without getting lots of moisture inside it, add a kitchen trash bag and thick rubber-band in your neoair stuff sack. Simply cut a corner off the bag (just big enough for the valve to go through), turn the corner inside out, push the valve through, and and lock the bag to the valve with a few twists of the rubber band. Turn the trash bag right-side out and capture air in it. Close the mouth of the bag and carefully squeeze the air into the pad. You won't be able to pressurize the neoair with a flimsy trash bag, but you'll be able to get 80-90% of the air needed in the neoair this way, only using your moist breath to top it off and pressurize it. I have the same Neoair and love it. Only used it about 5 times so far and is really comfortable. I still worry about its durability.

Is there a problem with just inflating this mat by mouth? What damage will moisure do to the pad? Am I missing something? :)

Durtydan
06-10-2013, 20:26
update: so I ended up getting a Marmot Atom for $160 on ebay and its a few years old which had the 900 fill over the 850 and only used a couple of nights. i only hear good things about the bags weight, pack size and comfort rating so I am eagerly waiting to receive it and can give anyone curious a better review once it comes!

HooKooDooKu
06-11-2013, 03:13
Is there a problem with just inflating this mat by mouth? What damage will moisure do to the pad? Am I missing something? :)
Your breath has A LOT of moisture. A co-worker and I both have neo-airs, and they both look like they have some mold growth INSIDE the pad.

Since molg need a 75% relative humidity environment to grow, I now fill it with outside air with the garbage bag, and only top it off with my breath to keep the total rh low and prevent more mold from growing inside.

Does anyone know if it is safe to place a bleach solution in your neoair?

Durtydan
06-11-2013, 06:09
not sure about bleach but check out the neoair pump sack. it's similar to the garbage bag trick but a legitimate product that made for the moisture problem. it's a simple stuff sack that you can attack to the valve and in three quick deflates of the bag, you have a full neoair, an can store gear in it afterwards. cool idea but I'm sure someone's home innovation can work even better

Swordpen
06-16-2013, 11:19
Hi All,

Whats the "Garbage Bag Trick" How do you do it?

Thanks!

Durtydan
06-16-2013, 13:44
basically turn it into an icing bag that bakers use and attach the end to the neoair (or any inflatable/semi inflatable) nozzle then close off the top of the bag with your hand and twist it to keep it closed (a rubber band would work fine too, just adds an extra step). so it's got a good full pocket then by using some force, push that air into the pad which stops the moisture in your breath from causing problems down the line....

I think that's a somewhat simplified version of it.

HooKooDooKu
06-16-2013, 17:57
not sure about bleach but check out the neoair pump sack. it's similar to the garbage bag trick but a legitimate product that made for the moisture problem. it's a simple stuff sack that you can attack to the valve and in three quick deflates of the bag, you have a full neoair, an can store gear in it afterwards. cool idea but I'm sure someone's home innovation can work even better

The "legitimate product" gave me the idea to simply use a garbage bag... much lighter (though you do have to be more gentle with it) and WAY more cheaper.

HooKooDooKu
06-16-2013, 18:00
Whats the "Garbage Bag Trick" How do you do it?Thanks!
See Post #28 above - but basically, use a garbage bag and a rubber band as a cheap and lightweight substitute to an inflater stuff sack.

ryan850
06-18-2013, 11:33
I bought a $38 45-degree bag from REI's closeout page. It was like 80% off. You might want to check out these. I'm tempted to buy one myself...

http://www.rei.com/product/860980/mountain-hardwear-lamina-45-sleeping-bag-2012-closeout
http://www.rei.com/product/852902/mountain-hardwear-lamina-35-sleeping-bag-short-2012-closeout
http://www.rei.com/product/860979/mountain-hardwear-lamina-45-sleeping-bag-long-2012-closeout

Here is a heavier but cheaper Kelty bag: http://www.rei.com/product/849096/kelty-light-year-xp-40-sleeping-bag-2012-closeout

Campmor and Backcountry.com have Closeout/Sales pages that you might want to check out too:

http://www.campmor.com/shop-sale/hot-deals.shtml
http://www.departmentofgoods.com/

turkeywayne
06-19-2013, 21:09
try the usgi patrol sleeping bag. great all the way around. 20 bucks on ebay

spanky4x4
07-08-2013, 18:47
try the usgi patrol sleeping bag. great all the way around. 20 bucks on ebay

these weigh in at 2lb 2 oz. I have used mine well into the twentys with proper clothing layers. cheap, light ,and warm.

Captn
07-08-2013, 19:02
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___46662

durk
07-10-2013, 03:32
This bag gets good reviews (http://www.rei.com/product/847648/kelty-cosmic-down-41-sleeping-bag), it's not expensive, and weighs just under 2 pounds. I've not used one, though.

Speaking of Kelty, I bought their synthetic Cosmic 35 for $60 from Altrec. It was probably on sale though. It weighs in at 38oz iirc and fits my shoulders pretty well with some extra room. I'm afraid I haven't used it yet so I can't report its performance (sorry). The only thing is I wish it packed smaller - a down bag would compress better but costs more. I can stuff it all into the mummy hood though and leave the stuff sack behind.

shelb
07-11-2013, 01:21

HA! This bag is the BOMB! I just came back from a week on the AT in PA. Temps were 40-50, and I AM A COLD sleeper!!! I was NEVER cold! OMG! It was awesome. For the past 4 years, I have had bags rated at 40 or 50, but I have always been freezing! I finally found out that the comfort zone and the survival zone are two different things!

Dicks sporting goods carries this bag....

perdidochas
07-11-2013, 12:15

I agree. I sleep cold, and I find them to be chilly at 70 (in a hammock without under insulation).