PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle vandalism and theft reported at AT trailheads in Tennessee

Tennessee Viking
06-07-2013, 09:24
Vehicle vandalism and theft reported at AT trailheads in Tennessee

Unfortunately, two incidents have been reported this past month. First, the Forest Service has reported that there have been a

number of vehicle vandalisms along US Highway 421 at the AT Trailhead at the Sullivan/Johnson County border on Holston Mountain.

At least one vehicle at the AT trailhead has had a window broken out during daylight hours. Recommendation is to not leave any

vehicles here until this issue is resolved by local law enforcement. Second, hikers on Roan Mountain reported that a thief broke into their car by smashing a window and prying open the glove compartment. The thief stole purses, wallets, a cell phone and other items stored in the glove compartment from their vehicle parked at Carvers Gap on Tenn. Highway 143.

Source: TEHCC Newsletter (June 2013)

Sailing_Faith
06-07-2013, 10:00
Like bears associating food with hikers, lowlifes who figure out that those parked cars hold wallets we don't want to carry are going to be tough to break of the habit.

With bears, they capture and relocate... And if that does not work they put them down. Wonder what might work for thieves?

max patch
06-07-2013, 10:14
lowlifes who figure out that those parked cars hold wallets we don't want to carry

I thot we were all smart enough not to leave wallets or phones in a car parked at a trailhead.

The Solemates
06-07-2013, 10:40
I thot we were all smart enough not to leave wallets or phones in a car parked at a trailhead.

I always leave mine, but no thief will ever find it unless he comes prepared with tools and is willing to search for over 30 mins.

The Ace
06-07-2013, 10:58
The parking lot next to 143 at Carver's Gap has a history of vandalism.

FarmerChef
06-07-2013, 11:07
I never bring my wallet period. That leaves nothing of interest for a thief to steal unless they want stock everything in our minivan. ooohhh. Still, it saddens me that this happens at all. Always something I "wonder" about as we approach the car on the last day of a section. So far so good.

JustADude
06-07-2013, 11:24
Planning on doing Carvers Gap to Laurel Fork Shelter and that parking area (section hiking). Where would you recommend leaving my car?

FishBone
06-07-2013, 11:27
JustADude: Park at Mountain Harbor B&B; get shuttle to Carver's Gap. Happy Trails!

Lone Wolf
06-07-2013, 11:27
what kinda fool leaves a wallet in a vehicle?

johnnybgood
06-07-2013, 11:28
With bears, they capture and relocate... And if that does not work they put them down. Wonder what might work for thieves?

Once captured , they should be relocated to the nearest jail cell.

Slo-go'en
06-07-2013, 13:32
If you don't carry your wallet, how will they know were to send your body to?

FarmerChef
06-07-2013, 14:44
If you don't carry your wallet, how will they know were to send your body to?

I take out my drivers license, medical card, two credit cards (in case some place doesn't take one or the other) and all the cash. The wallet stays at home. The rest fits conveniently in a slot in my pack.

BuckeyeBill
06-07-2013, 16:32

+1 and then left there until they pay for any damages.

tawa
06-07-2013, 16:34
Wear military dog tags!

Malto
06-07-2013, 16:50
I always leave mine, but no thief will ever find it unless he comes prepared with tools and is willing to search for over 30 mins.

Or he will break your window, trash your car and leave. You're still left with a trashed car.

mrcoffeect
06-08-2013, 06:27
on section hikes where i leave my car behind. i even take my registration out. leave it empty and unlocked

mrcoffeect
06-08-2013, 06:39
or leave some really smelly old hiking shoes locked in the car. if they pop a window the smell will mace them.

ATMountainTime
06-09-2013, 19:15
I leave my truck unlocked, no valuables in it, just like when leaving it in my city or driveway. Never had a break in. Ive had a couple 'inspections' but only my OAR CD got scratched.

Rain Man
06-09-2013, 22:27
on section hikes where i leave my car behind. i even take my registration out. leave it empty and unlocked

Thank you for that idea! I also wondered about who would leave wallets and smartphones in a car at a trailhead, but then again I have left my registration and insurance card. No more.

Rain:sunMan

MuddyWaters
06-09-2013, 23:07
The purses probably werent in the glove box.

Sounds like dayhikers out for a stroll

I leave my console and glove box open, so anyone can see theres nothing there.

My wallet is a a small pouch with my 1 truck key, 1 credit card, driver license, health insurance card, and small amt cash. Everything else gets left at home, except house key which is hidden inside the truck.

If it does get broken into, theres nothing a thief would want.

atraildreamer
06-10-2013, 10:16

We need another Australia to relocate the low-lifes. :-? The Brits had the right idea...get the criminals out of the country and stick them in some forsaken wilderness where they had to work to survive.:mad: The ones that didn't want to work, didn't make it.:eek: The ones that got with the program rehabilitated, started families and made a country that brews really good beer! :D

(I know, the ACLU would be all over this... unless we ship them out, too! :banana)

atraildreamer
06-10-2013, 10:19
or leave some really smelly old hiking shoes locked in the car. if they pop a window the smell will mace them.

Take a Pamper and spread some Nutella on it. :-? Leave it on the seat in plain view. :eek: No one will touch the car. :banana