PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal to feel nothing?

Tree Nerd
06-07-2013, 09:31
So I leave in less then 20 days to start my thru hike and I feel nothing for it. No anxiety, enthusiasm, nervousness, nothing. Is this normal?

slow mind
06-07-2013, 09:37
You cold heartless bastard.

Teacher & Snacktime
06-07-2013, 09:41
So I leave in less then 20 days to start my thru hike and I feel nothing for it. No anxiety, enthusiasm, nervousness, nothing. Is this normal?

No....no, I'm sorry to say, it's not normal. But then, if you're seeking normal, what are you doing here?

Grampie
06-07-2013, 09:42
If you don't feel any excitment now, you probley won't feel any while on the trail either. You will soon got boared and go home.

Sampson
06-07-2013, 09:43
You're probably a cyborg and don't even know it. Try punching yourself in the yams. If you don't feel it, my suspicions are correct.

Tree Nerd
06-07-2013, 09:54
haha I'm enjoying the replies.....I am definitely excited and really looking forward to it, but it hasn't registered that its only 20 days away. I am still operating on a daily basis as if its still a couple months away. I feel like it will hit me real hard once I get on the bus to Maine. The only thing that I have really thought about is how hard its going to be to say good bye to my dog for such a long time.

HikerMom58
06-07-2013, 09:56

I think I understand why Tree Nerd. Feelings are feeling... you can't trust them. Do what you really want to do- the feelings will come.... and go.

Train Wreck
06-07-2013, 09:56
If you've been planning this for a while, you've probably cycled through all the emotional ups and downs to the point where you've processed all the feelings adequately. Wait till the night before and tell us what you feel like then!

HikerMom58
06-07-2013, 09:57
haha I'm enjoying the replies.....I am definitely excited and really looking forward to it, but it hasn't registered that its only 20 days away. I am still operating on a daily basis as if its still a couple months away. I feel like it will hit me real hard once I get on the bus to Maine. The only thing that I have really thought about is how hard its going to be to say good bye to my dog for such a long time.

You stinker.. you were pulling our leg!! :) Have a great time... 20 more days!!!

Train Wreck
06-07-2013, 09:58

Keyboard clean up on aisle 3! :banana

Tree Nerd
06-07-2013, 10:07
If you've been planning this for a while, you've probably cycled through all the emotional ups and downs to the point where you've processed all the feelings adequately. Wait till the night before and tell us what you feel like then!

:-? I can see that.....and yes I have a feeling that the day before will be very intense.

Half Note
06-07-2013, 10:12
I think it will hit you once you set foot on the trail.

Old Hiker
06-07-2013, 10:17

You know his parents????

Not sure how you can't - I just went down to 999 days until my next attempt and I feel some excitement.

Not to worry - you are prepared (hopefully) - you know what you are doing (hopefully) - you're ready to go. Good luck - hike safe.

stranger
06-07-2013, 10:17
I'm always fine up to the day before, then it hits me like a truck, anything big or new...patience my friend and get your butt in shape!

Ktaadn
06-07-2013, 11:28

You have reached your Zen state. Congratulations!

kidchill
06-07-2013, 17:36
I think it's normal 'cause that's exactly how I felt. I think I was stressed out, but it was life stuff and domestic duties. Storing my belongings, moving, cleaning, etc. I felt nothing for the trail. I hopped on the plane and was like, "Okay, the adventure begins...let's see what happens."

evyck da fleet
06-07-2013, 18:53
It was normal for me. I had real life responsibilities that were my primary focus until my hike. It really didn't hit me until I stopped to tent the first night out.

Datto
06-07-2013, 18:59
I hopped on the plane and was like, "Okay, the adventure begins...let's see what happens."

That's how I felt when I went to Reno the first time.

Datto

Wise Old Owl
06-07-2013, 18:59
This spew is awesome... go hike..

adamkrz
06-07-2013, 19:04
My old girlfriend use to tell me the same thing.

Shutterbug
06-07-2013, 19:15

Hey Nerd, feelings are overrated. When I was your age, I was flying combat missions in Vietnam. I used to wonder the same thing before I took off for a mission -- shouldn't I be afraid or something? At this point you should be so prepared that all you feel is confidence.

Lone Wolf
06-07-2013, 21:14

nope. somethin' wrong

rocketsocks
06-07-2013, 22:04
Hey Nerd, feelings are overrated. When I was your age, I was flying combat missions in Vietnam. I used to wonder the same thing before I took off for a mission -- shouldn't I be afraid or something? At this point you should be so prepared that all you feel is confidence. This^....you rely on your training, it won't let you down....your ready tree Nerd, gotta believe it!

Bronk
06-08-2013, 02:28

For me it didn't settle in until a couple days before I left as I was packing up everything in my apartment. It was a Saturday morning and the truck from the Salvation Army arrived to pick up all of my furniture (it wasn't worth enough to undergo the expense of putting it in storage for several months). When they left I remember thinking "too late to turn back now." My last day at work had been the previous day. On Monday I was leaving. When the truck was gone all I had left in my apartment was 4 boxes, 3 suitcases and my pack. That is about all I owned for the next 4 years. There is something very liberating about the feeling you get when you don't have a whole lot of "stuff."

Water Rat
06-08-2013, 10:41

No need to worry about this now - Worry if you still feel this way AFTER the actual walking has begun. As for what is "normal," everyone processes things differently. :) It sounds like it will probably hit you that this is really happening... The night before, or when you start walking. I leave home (for work) for 3-3+ months every year. The emotions toward what I am about to do, tend to sink in the morning I am leaving. THEN, I tend to get crazy excited!

MuddyWaters
06-08-2013, 20:00

Most would be quite excited and apprehensive if its their first long hike.

Prior AT hiking experience with accompanying knowledge of what to expect would dampen those feelings because its not new, there arent the overwhelming unknowns that are there for the first timers.

hikerboy57
06-08-2013, 20:03
never gets old for me. im psyched before any trip.

Biggie Master
06-08-2013, 20:13
never gets old for me. im psyched before any trip.

This.......

Teacher & Snacktime
06-09-2013, 00:31
When the truck was gone all I had left in my apartment was 4 boxes, 3 suitcases and my pack. That is about all I owned for the next 4 years. There is something very liberating about the feeling you get when you don't have a whole lot of "stuff."

I had a similar experience back when I was 19 (in the dark ages when dinosaurs walked the earth). While not undertaking a hike, I was moving out of state, sold all I could at a flea market and gave away just about everything else. All my worldly goods were then packed into the back of my VW beetle headed for a new life.

My point? I agree that the lightness of that possession load was quite liberating; there was nothing material tying me down. Heading out on the AT is a similar sensation. Yes, in our real lives we go home to all the "things" of our lives, but in the wilderness, with as little as possible on our backs, we're free to join in and be part of the natural world into which we trek.

I'm with you Bronk.

Tree Nerd
06-09-2013, 13:28
Your all awesome! So glad so many of you are responding!.....16 days from right now I will be on the greyhound! But first, Bonnaroo!

CyborgAT
06-09-2013, 17:15
You're probably a cyborg and don't even know it. Try punching yourself in the yams. If you don't feel it, my suspicions are correct.

Speaking of Cyborgs, lol