PDA

View Full Version : Best Smart phone/camera

Praha4
06-07-2013, 11:08
I'm Keyrock, Unfrozen Caveman Hiker .... your world frightens and confuses me. Sometimes when I get a txt msg on my dumb-phone, I ask.... "did little demons get inside and type this?" My primitive mind can't grasp the concept of a smart phone with a camera.

what is a good U/L smart phone with camera for use on the trail?

Berserker
06-14-2013, 12:15
Well, I'm not going to pimp it out because I don't have one, but I'll mention the new Samsung Galaxy 4. I have a Droid X2, and buddy of mine just got the S4. The S4 has a larger screen, weighs about half the Droid X2, and per reviews apparently takes decent pictures. I'm gonna try to get me one if I can.

T.S.Kobzol
06-14-2013, 12:27
I use SGN2 but let me just throw two other names into the mix

Sony XPERIA ZR is a newly released phone that is actually waterproof.

HTC one is a new phone with a nice durable aluminum housing burr most importantly a camera with an F2.0 Lens. That extra stop is nice to have for low light shots.

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2

TRU
06-14-2013, 13:06
Everyone's got an opinion on this.

I'm an iPhone guy. Have had one since the first day they were released. I've never had a problem with any of mine. I am also a MAC guy and that's all we have in our household - MACS, iPads, iPhones, and iPods. It makes sense for us to stay in the Apple world.

Good thing about the iPhone and iOS platform is that they are fairly easy to use right away. They are intuitive and rarely lock up or break down. Apple keeps a fairly tight control over it's devices and apps it allows.

Bad thing about the iPhone and iOS platform, is that you can only "customize" it so much. As mentioned above, Apple keeps a tight rein on things. That means it doesn't break down as much, but it also means less customization.

If you are a heavy Microsoft Outlook or Excel person, is suggest a droid, galaxy, etc...

There's a lot of nice phones out their that also take nice pix. All have their pros and cons. I'd suggest trying out some friends phones and spending an hour or so at Best Buy, Radio Shack or Walmart playing with them and get what is easiest.

I'd also think about what accessories you would want. I've got a waterproof and shockproof case for mine. I've also had cases with batteries built in to extend their use time. Not all phones have a large amount of accessories.

Happy searching!

TRU ...

Rain Man
06-15-2013, 09:45
what is a good U/L smart phone with camera for use on the trail?

Saw this article yesterday. Only know what the article says; have not even seen the thing for real.
Samsung's Galaxy S4 Zoom hybrid (http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/2013/0612/Will-Samsung-s-Galaxy-S4-Zoom-hybrid-find-a-big-audience)
"Samsung has unveiled the Galaxy S4 Zoom, a device that combines elements of a high-end camera and elements of a high-end smart phone. "

"Good" is in the eye of the beholder. As in, hike your own hike.

Rain:sunMan

leaftye
06-15-2013, 13:15
If you want the best pictures, look at Nokia's Pureview phones.

Trevor Lord
07-12-2013, 09:59
I just bought the galaxy S4 and the camera is beautiful and it is about half the weight of my old phone. Although lighter than an IPhone it is wider so depending on how you store it. Mine still fits in my phone pouch but it is a squeeze. As far as camera it outperforms the IPhone 5 in normal light. My wife has the 5 and we both shoot the same photo and mine is nicer. In low light the camera, as with most cell phones, leaves much to be desired

garyp
07-12-2013, 22:03
Apple all the way for me. It's light too.

Joyce
07-18-2013, 15:27
Does anyone have any trouble charging there phone while on the trail?

Pyrallis
10-02-2013, 05:27
If you are a heavy Microsoft Outlook or Excel person, is suggest a droid, galaxy, etc...

Whoa, hang on there. That makes no sense. That used to apply to desktop computers from years back, but is irrelevant to modern smartphones. The Droid and Galaxy lines you mention all run Android. Microsoft has nothing to do with Android. Android represents a third way, that is neither Microsoft, nor Apple.

Apple keeps a tight rein on things. That means it doesn't break down as much, but it also means less customization.

That was a characteristic of desktop computers in the 1990s running Microsoft Windows, and again, that comparison does not apply to modern smartphones. It is a false assumption that iOS is more stable, or somehow "breaks down" less than its closest competitor, Android. One study (http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/02/new-study-claims-ios-applications-crash-more-often-than-android-apps) found that apps on Apple's iOS crash more than apps on Android. That was a couple years ago; technology is constantly in flux, so I wouldn't be surprised if the pendulum was swinging between Android and iOS at various times. The bigger point is that stability is NOT a defining characteristic of Apple products anymore. I'd say that both platforms offer an equally hassle-free experience to their users.

You're right about Apple restricting customization, of course. I find it interesting that in all the Android customizations I see around the web, minimalism seems to be very popular. People like to keep things as neat and simple as possible, but they can make some really beautiful designs. Here are some nice, minimalist customizations, designed for the utmost simplicity:

Frost (http://i.imgur.com/CGwSr3c.png)
White clouds (http://i.imgur.com/BPD3fX0.png) (The images to the left and right of the screen show what you see when you swipe your home screen left or right.)
CreamUI (http://i.imgur.com/7QPxQoE.png)
Clear Road Ahead (http://i.imgur.com/GC3RuxH.jpg)
Red forest (http://i.imgur.com/VYMCgQ7.jpg)

That's what I love about Android: it's just so pretty.

Starchild
10-02-2013, 07:45
I have used a iPhone for my thru. the iPhone was the first smartphone to put a quality camera in, or at least the first one that really took off as such. The iPhone may be easier for a defrosted caveman hiker to use as well.

The iPhone is pretty darn sturdy. I did keep it in my pocket almost every day except when raining or going through the notch. I also didn't use a case. I did get a crack in the front glass during my thru but the entire crack is totally off of the display, just a little semi circle on the side.

I did also get it damp many times, often with sweat, which I'm sure is not the best for it's long term health. At one time the LED flash was stuck on a low glow, this lasted about 24 hrs. I assume some wetness caused a partial short, that when it dried started working right again.

Battery life was fine for the trail, assuming keeping it in airplane mode most of the time and carrying a battery pack to be able to recharge it.

When it is damp from sweat or other such as rain, don't expect to use the touch screen, it doesn't work well or at all until you can dry it off including your finger which is not always practical.

squirrely
10-02-2013, 22:19
I have the iPhone 5 and I thought it was great on the trail. It takes great pictures, the zoom does leave a little to be desired but if you zoom in to the picture after you've taken it, it looks perfect. Its a really light phone, even with the lifeproof case. I kept it on airplane mode, made occasional phone calls or texts and turned it off at night and the battery lasted 4-6 days depending on how often I made calls. Overall I was really happy with it.

Bucherm
10-03-2013, 00:22
Moto X for a phone.

Take a seperate camera. Seriously. ALL camera-phones will produce much inferior photos to dedicated cameras. About as low as I would be willing to go is a Android phone and one of Sonys QX-series "camera lens attachements" to your cell.

People used to haul 35mm SLRs with bags of film thrugh the AT before the digital age. I would just being a DSLR or ICLS like NEX or Micro 4/3s.

T.S.Kobzol
10-03-2013, 07:44
My Nokia 925 takes comparable and,sometimes better photos than my Olympus tough 2 camera but I would absolutely recommend the camera over a cell phone. The battery lasts much much longer and the waterproofing means you can,take photos even in pouring rain...and those are sometimes the most interesting photos.

Bumblebee Tuna

ChuckT
10-03-2013, 08:38
I am a professional photographer. I would choose a camera - I am currently looking at the Nikon1 - AW1 - over a cell phone anyday.

Sure your pixs look good on your iPhone/Android/Winphone, now what?

Take them to wallyworld and get a 4x6, or 5x7 I guess.

Me I know that the chance of seeing and recording the scene I'm looking again is a big fat 0.

Heavier? Yes! But I'll pay the penalty, gladly. I make it up by going as light as practical. As practical.

Phone? I'm looking at the new Note - larger screen and a stylus to "pick out" a message because I detest editing my thumb fumbles.

Cvt

ChinMusic
10-03-2013, 10:27
I'm not a professional but am on the high-end of amateurs. I have a wide range of camera bodies and lenses. While I choose to take my heavier DSLRs on what I consider "photography trips", I chose to just take my iPhone with me on my thru this year. I did take my DSLR with me on summit day as that is the one pic I can see blowing up.

The weight, the ease, the connectivity of the smartphone FAR outweighed its limitations for final print size. I was able to share my trip with friends and family almost in real time. Not everyone would find that inviting, but I did.

Here is a link to my journal and you can see how an iPhone 5 did on a 2013 thru: http://www.trailjournals.com/chinmusic

T.S.Kobzol
10-03-2013, 16:13
Nobody prints anymore

Bumblebee Tuna

ChinMusic
10-03-2013, 16:19
Nobody prints anymore

It's true. I will probably print a handful of shots from the trip and probably only one will be in a large format. My iPhone resolution is totally adequate for the post-hike postcards/journal entries/Facebook/etc. It is only inadequate for the big pictures, say over 11", for the wall. That is why I took my 5DII with me on the last day.

ChuckT
10-03-2013, 21:32
11x14 is not a big print. Hiked with an F3 and WA Zoom last serious "photo-hike" nice to have serious stuff along. Since I went to electronics I haven't seen anything that impressed me enough to carry long distance or beat film for latitude. However the right technique can help, expose to the right, hdr, etc.

Dirtly little secret - most small cameras and phones have plastic lenses and that shows. Well I suppose it shows if you look for it. Me I'm not going to bother with most snaps, get enough of that 5 days a week. Or I would except for the nonsence in DC.

Cvt

quasarr
10-05-2013, 11:01
I prefer a real camera. Even a $200 point and shoot will be much better than any smart phone. I'm no camera-ologist but I appreciate a good optical zoom!! If you want to post pics, you can try the new SD cards that have wifi and can load directly to your phone.

MuddyWaters
10-13-2013, 14:27
real camera

smartphones go dead if leave them on
take too long to boot up every time want to take a pic as well.

Of course if you are someone addicted to their electronic toys and will have a phone always on anyway, and carry cnargers and solar panels, etc, then by all means use the phone as the camera.