PDA

View Full Version : Pope Francis on hiking

Mas Mejor
06-07-2013, 12:33
From an article on the Vatican Radio website (http://www.news.va/en/news/pope-launches-into-spontaneous-qa-with-students):

When a student doubting his faith asked for words of encouragement, he likened the faith to a long walk. “To walk is an art,” he said, “To walk is the art of looking at the horizon, thinking about where I want to go but also enduring the fatigue. And many times, the walk is difficult, it is not easy… There is darkness… even days of failure… one falls…
"But always think this: do not be afraid of failure. Do not be afraid of falling. In the art of walking, what is important is not avoiding the fall but not remaining fallen," he said. "Get up quickly, continue on, and go. … But it is also terrible to walk alone, terrible and boring. Walking in community with friends, with those who love us, this helps us and helps us get to the end.”

Seatbelt
06-07-2013, 12:41
From an article on the Vatican Radio website (http://www.news.va/en/news/pope-launches-into-spontaneous-qa-with-students):

When a student doubting his faith asked for words of encouragement, he likened the faith to a long walk. “To walk is an art,” he said, “To walk is the art of looking at the horizon, thinking about where I want to go but also enduring the fatigue. And many times, the walk is difficult, it is not easy… There is darkness… even days of failure… one falls…
"But always think this: do not be afraid of failure. Do not be afraid of falling. In the art of walking, what is important is not avoiding the fall but not remaining fallen," he said. "Get up quickly, continue on, and go. … But it is also terrible to walk alone, terrible and boring. Walking in community with friends, with those who love us, this helps us and helps us get to the end.”
Can't wait for Lone Wolf's response to this......."the walk is difficult, not easy"

OzJacko
06-07-2013, 12:48
Can't wait for Lone Wolf's response to this......."the walk is difficult, not easy"
Lone Wolf's credentials as a hiker are known.
Pope Francis has credentials as a preacher.
He doesn't look like a hiker to me....
But he does say "And many times, the walk is difficult, it is not easy".
I assume that usually he would agree, "it's just walkin'".;)

Seatbelt
06-07-2013, 12:51
Lone Wolf's credentials as a hiker are known.
Pope Francis has credentials as a preacher.
He doesn't look like a hiker to me....
But he does say "And many times, the walk is difficult, it is not easy".
I assume that usually he would agree, "it's just walkin'".;)
LW has went a lot farther than that-----He says the trail is not hard or challenging.

Sailing_Faith
06-07-2013, 13:07
I think it is a cool quote, thanks for posting it.

It is (IMHO) a good comparison. Faith (what ever that is for you) is needed to hike a trail, sail a journey, or just to get out of bed in the morning*.

* ok, faith AND coffee for that last one.....

Lone Wolf
06-07-2013, 13:16
LW has went a lot farther than that-----He says the trail is not hard or challenging.

not physically

Ktaadn
06-07-2013, 14:04

I love hiking alone. He is entitled to his opinion but of course he is just making this stuff up.

Mags
06-07-2013, 15:58
The late Pope John Paul II was a very avid skier, hiker, and kayaker.
http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0700418.htm
http://www.paddlinghq.com/famous-people/4154-pope-john-paul-ii-kayaker.html

So, I would not be shocked if the current pope was an outdoors person as well.

Direct link between outdoors and spirituality IMO. It seems many faiths in all forms embrace the idea of wilderness and having a sense of spiritual fulfillment.

tawa
06-07-2013, 16:13
Excuse me----- walking alone is terrible and boring--lol Some of my best days on the trail were walking alone and anything but terrible and boring. Some of my worse days were with entitled--unprepared hikers with attitudes and tech play toys.

Feral Bill
06-07-2013, 16:14
[QUOTE=

Direct link between outdoors and spirituality IMO. It seems many faiths in all forms embrace the idea of wilderness and having a sense of spiritual fulfillment.[/QUOTE]

Many of us of no faith embrace the wilderness as well, and appreciate the quote, too.

Trillium
06-07-2013, 16:31
LW has went a lot farther than that-----He says the trail is not hard or challenging.Well, then I would say he is full of .....it.

hikerboy57
06-07-2013, 16:44
wonder how he feels about cyber hiking. hes in the right age bracket

Lone Wolf
06-07-2013, 17:01
Well, then I would say he is full of .....it.

oh really?

rocketsocks
06-07-2013, 17:14
I often draw on my walks to gain insight...(fall down seven times, stand up eight), and can't imagine that others wouldn't as well.

and before any of you ask...No, not with a sharpie :D

thanks for posting, glad to see our clergy is getting some exercise.

Double Wide
06-07-2013, 17:36
One doesn't have to be a Catholic, a Christian, or religious at all to see the wisdom in the Pope's message. One only has to be an ass to discount it completely.

As far as the trail not being difficult--physically--well, I would disagree, but would certainly agree that Lone Wolf is in much better shape than my doughy office-bound backside. On the other hand, if were easy, as they say, everyone would be doing it...

hikerboy57
06-07-2013, 17:53
Well, then I would say he is full of .....it.
i had to laugh when people told me how difficult they found georgia to be. for me, it was pretty easy compared to what im used to hiking, so its a matter of perspective.the mental aspect of being able to stay on the trail for 5-6 months is something else again.
LW is right-its just walking.

Pedaling Fool
06-07-2013, 18:27
If all you're doing is walking and not attempting to break a record and once you've got your legs, then yes, hiking the AT is just a walk in the park. I never went into the "Red Zone" once I got my legs.

atmilkman
06-07-2013, 18:32
If all you're doing is walking and not attempting to break a record and once you've got your legs, then yes, hiking the AT is just a walk in the park. I never went into the "Red Zone" once I got my legs.

Does that mean you never scored:eek:

The Snowman
06-07-2013, 18:40
Walking alone is sad. Walking with the birds and the bees the flowers and trees that's what brings joy to walking.

Pedaling Fool
06-07-2013, 18:42
Does that mean you never scored:eek:I said red zone, not Pink Zone;)

Hiking (the type of hiking most of us do) is great for developing a kick ass aerobic base. But for true health and fitness you gotta go anerobic once a day. That's what Lew Hollander says and it's been my experience.

hikerboy57
06-07-2013, 18:42
strange answer for a pope. hes never alone, no?

OzJacko
06-07-2013, 18:45
strange answer for a pope. hes never alone, no?
Not being part of the game never stopped them making the rules....;)

hikerboy57
06-07-2013, 18:46
Not being part of the game never stopped them making the rules....;)
what game? i thought they were in real estate.

kayak karl
06-07-2013, 19:27
Me thinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow. ~Henry David Thoreau

Teacher & Snacktime
06-07-2013, 19:39
I will choose to believe that none of you think he's actually talking about hiking, and that the walk is a metaphor for life.......no one, even LW, can say that life is easy or best "travelled" alone. If that were the case, none of us would be here now.

But in a more irreverent thought, I'd love to see him hike in those robes.....

Lone Wolf
06-07-2013, 21:12
the walk is a metaphor for life.......no one, even LW, can say that life is easy or best "travelled" alone. If that were the case, none of us would be here now.

i'm with you....

rocketsocks
06-07-2013, 21:17
I will choose to believe that none of you think he's actually talking about hiking, and that the walk is a metaphor for life.......no one, even LW, can say that life is easy or best "travelled" alone. If that were the case, none of us would be here now.

But in a more irreverent thought, I'd love to see him hike in those robes.....you mean he really didn't walk?....poser :D

very well said teach21928

hikerboy57
06-07-2013, 21:18
i'm with you....
sorry, i just cant picture you hiking in those robes

rocketsocks
06-07-2013, 21:19
Me thinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow. ~Henry David Thoreau

I've always liked that saying, I think it's also written in Colin Fletchers book under quotables.

Lone Wolf
06-07-2013, 21:25
but seriously, what does a life-long priest know about suffering? they never have wives, girlfriends or kids. they get to drink and play bingo. pack sniffin' wannabes

hikerboy57
06-07-2013, 21:26
but seriously, what does a life-long priest know about suffering? they never have wives, girlfriends or kids. they get to drink and play bingo. pack sniffin' wannabes
seriously....

rocketsocks
06-07-2013, 21:44
OMG, lightening just struck right out side the house....I'm out

[forgive me for i have sinned]

Mags
06-08-2013, 13:13
Many of us of no faith embrace the wilderness as well, and appreciate the quote, too.

Like many people who went to Catholic school for their formative years, I ended up being an atheist. :)

...and I do appreciate the quote. I think Pope Francis is going to be a much different pope (for the better) than we've been used to in recent years. A Jesuit pope who looks to St. Francis as his role model. A very interesting, and potentially positive, combination of attributes.

But in a more irreverent thought, I'd love to see him hike in those robes.....

http://imgs.sfgate.com/inline/c/pxs/2005/04/03/mn_popehike-dolomites_ap.jpg
http://conservation.catholic.org/pope_j2.jpg

rocketsocks
06-08-2013, 13:19
but seriously, what does a life-long priest know about suffering? they never have wives, girlfriends or kids. they get to drink and play bingo. pack sniffin' wannabes"It's just livin"

rocketsocks
06-08-2013, 13:22
Like many people who went to Catholic school for their formative years, I ended up being an atheist. :)

...and I do appreciate the quote. I think Pope Francis is going to be a much different pope (for the better) than we've been used to in recent years. A Jesuit pope who looks to St. Francis as his role model. A very interesting, and potentially positive, combination of attributes.I think your right Mags...big change-up comin.

Feral Bill
06-08-2013, 15:50
I think your right Mags...big change-up comin. 2000 year old institutions don't do "big change-up".

Altarboy
06-08-2013, 23:30
While at the hostel in Neels Gap, I opened a Bible and someone had written inside the cover about hiking and spirituality and had listed many verses about long walks taken by people in biblical times. It was very inspiring.

Teacher & Snacktime
06-09-2013, 00:11
Mags....are those pics real or photoshopped? Awesome!

rocketsocks
06-09-2013, 01:01
2000 year old institutions don't do "big change-up".any change in a 2000 year old institution is a big change.

Slo-go'en
06-09-2013, 10:45
While at the hostel in Neels Gap, I opened a Bible and someone had written inside the cover about hiking and spirituality and had listed many verses about long walks taken by people in biblical times. It was very inspiring.

Of course, that was the primary way of getting around in those times - unless you could afford a horse or donkey :)

Rasty
06-09-2013, 10:55

Real. John Paul was very active as a Pope

Mags
06-09-2013, 19:48

Real. PJII was always an avid outdoors person. Apparently in the earlier years of his papacy, before his health issues, he used to sneak to the Alps for skiing or hiking.

There is a small church with an amazing view of Longs Peak. When PJII came to Colorado back in 1993, he said mass at the Church and took advantage of the nearby mountains.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapel_on_the_Rock

As for major changes, Vatican II was a HUGE change in the direction of the Catholic church. Mass being said in the vernacular, the priest facing the congregation, more emphasis on lay people (deacons esp), willingness to work with other denominations and so on.

But, that's another thread for a different forum. :)

rocketsocks
06-12-2013, 05:16
Many study Bibles have cross referencing in the back of the book, so you can look up walking, and have many references to script....should you care to re-visit one of those inspirational texts. Think I'll check it out :)