PDA

View Full Version : REI Flash 50 or Flash 65

BZ853
06-07-2013, 12:45
Which one should I get for a half thru next June-July from Springer to HF? REI has them on sale for $100 and $115 each with an extra 20% off today. Also why one over the other?

Drybones
06-07-2013, 12:55
Which one should I get for a half thru next June-July from Springer to HF? REI has them on sale for $100 and $115 each with an extra 20% off today. Also why one over the other?

I have both these packs and the 50 would be my choice but it depends on how much gear you're carrying.

BZ853
06-07-2013, 13:51
Can you return an outlet item to a store if I decide I want the bigger one?

Ktaadn
06-07-2013, 14:00
Can you return an outlet item to a store if I decide I want the bigger one?

Yes. I know I've returned something but I can't remember what right now. I think the new REI return policy may but a shorter time limit on Outlet items now though. You may want to check before ordering.

BZ853
06-07-2013, 14:05
Thanks, Im about to order the 50.

FarmerChef
06-07-2013, 14:26
Thanks, Im about to order the 50.

I believe you have 30 days to return an outlet order per the new policy.

My wife has the 50 and has used it for half the AT. She loves it. What's the difference? More volume to carry more stuff. Whether that works for you or not is completely dependent on your hiking style and the gear you want to bring. 50 liters is not a "big" pack and certainly won't let you bring the kitchen sink. The 65 has quite a bit more room if you're carrying lots of bulky items. It will also handle the weight better. Keep in mind that my wife tops out at about 35 pounds pack out weight on a typical height and that's with full on first day food. It's not very comfortable until it drops down to 30. Perfectly usable and durable just not nearly as comfortable.

BZ853
06-07-2013, 14:46
I believe you have 30 days to return an outlet order per the new policy.

My wife has the 50 and has used it for half the AT. She loves it. What's the difference? More volume to carry more stuff. Whether that works for you or not is completely dependent on your hiking style and the gear you want to bring. 50 liters is not a "big" pack and certainly won't let you bring the kitchen sink. The 65 has quite a bit more room if you're carrying lots of bulky items. It will also handle the weight better. Keep in mind that my wife tops out at about 35 pounds pack out weight on a typical height and that's with full on first day food. It's not very comfortable until it drops down to 30. Perfectly usable and durable just not nearly as comfortable.

I just saw that... What can you sell one for? In case I need the bigger one?

Kerosene
06-07-2013, 14:51
BZ853, my guess is that, since you had to ask, you will find the 50-liter model to be very small for your current gear list, whereas the 65 would likely fit your kit with few tradeoffs, especially if you're walking during cold (sub-40) weather.

For myself, I've tuned my gear list for the past decade to the point where a 50L pack is preferable, giving me a Spring/Fall total carry weight with 3 days of supplies of about 25 pounds (vs. 21 in the summer when a 45L pack might work for me).

The good thing about carrying a smaller pack is that it will force you to leave some gear behind. The bad thing is that other gear may be too heavy and/or bulky to easily fit without overloading the pack. I wouldn't want to be carrying more that 25 pounds, total, in the 50L pack, whereas the 65L would take you to 30+ pounds which is where I think you'll be.

If you do order the pack (or have already!), then be prepared to take a hard look at your entire gear list. I'd probably start with the other 3 components of the Big Four (sleeping bag & pad, shelter), and then move on to your kitchen (stove, pot, cup, food, water). To make the 50L work, you're likely going to need a sufficiently warm bag that comes in under 2 pounds, a pad that's less than 12 ounces, and a shelter configuration that weighs less than 2 pounds in total. Even then, things might be pretty tight, but you'll be well on your way to a lighter weight kit.

Good luck!

FarmerChef
06-07-2013, 14:52
I just saw that... What can you sell one for? In case I need the bigger one?

Oh boy, I have no idea. If it's in really good new condition you might be able to knock off 15 or 20 bucks and sell it. But...and this is just my personal opinion, if you can find a way to fit all your gear in the 50 and lighten your load a bit if necessary, I think you'll be better off for it. Having a bigger bag often means the empty space gets filled with more stuff. About 30 miles into your hike you realize you probably didn't need the extra stuff anyway, or can substitute an easy, lighter version instead.

One little tip for the 50 is that you can remove the framesheet to lighten it up a bit. You may wish to keep it for comfort reasons but give it a try without and see if that works for you. I can't remember how much it saves you but every little bit adds up to a lot.

BZ853
06-07-2013, 15:04
Gotcha, I don't have a bag right now but I have a WBBB double 1.1 with a MJ Tarp and a CCF for sleeping. so I don't think Ill need the 65 but I just saw where the 50 doesn't come in L, so 65 it is.

da fungo
06-07-2013, 15:15
I have an older version of the 50, which has served me well for several years. But recently, when I started to regularly carry 20-25 pound loads, stitching that keeps the shoulder harness yoke attached to the backstays separated. Given the age of the pack, I don't feel right returning it to REI (or attempting to), but given the light use it has had, I don't think it should have failed, either. Your mileage will vary.

Donde
06-07-2013, 15:27
I have an older 65 that is still going strong after 35oo miles on four continents. If you have doubts consider getting the bigger one, if it's a little too big just take the top off.

Trebor66
06-07-2013, 15:46
The 50 only comes in small and medium. Does anyone know if the medium would fit a person who is 6'6" with a torso length of 21?

Feral Bill
06-07-2013, 16:18
The 50 only comes in small and medium. Does anyone know if the medium would fit a person who is 6'6" with a torso length of 21?
Seems unlikely. Try it at the store.

Drybones
06-07-2013, 17:00

I'm 6'-1" and the medium is a little too small for me.

Onedawg
06-07-2013, 17:26
I'm 5'9", torso 19", the 50M fits me perfectly.

06-07-2013, 21:22
I would get the 65, had one and the shoulder strap pulled out, took it back and they swapped it for a new 62. There is nothing wrong with under filling a pack. You have space for colder hiking and summer hiking, what is the weight difference 5 oz?? They are great packs!!

Trebor66
06-07-2013, 23:09
Just as the OP did, I just purchased the 65. In the Outlet plus an additional 20% off it was only 92 bucks. Can't beat that with a stick....

bigcranky
06-08-2013, 07:28
I'll go with the advice that if you have to ask, get the 65. The 50 is a fine pack, but it's small enough that many hikers would be hard pressed to get all their gear inside.

Ablemob
06-08-2013, 18:49
I returned my flash 50 after 2 or 3 outings. With 32 lbs or so the waistbelt was damned uncomfortable and seemed to not be doing it's job with too much weight transferred to the shoulder straps. And this was just for an overnight or two night section hike. Besides being a bit small, if you're going with 4 or 5 days of food, the weight would probably push it over it's comfort limit. I would try the 65L and try it out with the intended load. I think you have 30 days to return with Outlet purchases.

MuddyWaters
06-08-2013, 19:13
There is no such thing as a "half-thru"
Thats like saying you are half pregnant.
Its either a thru, or its not.

But I know what you meant.
You are hiking half the trail. Its just a really long hike.

scrabbler
06-08-2013, 21:38
For those of you that have them, how much of a pain are all of those buckles and straps? I tried one on and it felt good, but it seemed overly complicated. Maybe one gets used to it?

BZ853
06-09-2013, 01:36
There is no such thing as a "half-thru"
Thats like saying you are half pregnant.
Its either a thru, or its not.

But I know what you meant.
You are hiking half the trail. Its just a really long hike.

Thanks Muddy....

I can call it a thru since I will be thru. It will only take me until next August to finish. :)