PDA

View Full Version : Davenport Gap to Hot Springs

Hoppy*
06-07-2013, 16:32
My son and I are going to be hiking this section in a couple of weeks. This is the first time on the AT and am looking for any suggestions on this section of the trail. We would prefer Campsites vs shelters. Also does anyone have any info on the TICK population in this area? Do we need to spray our clothes with permethrin? How about Bears in the area? For anyone that's been through this section recently, any comments would be great. Thanks.

Hoppy*
06-07-2013, 22:18
Bumping this up. Would really like to here from someone.

Venchka
06-07-2013, 22:57
It is wet. Soggy. In two weeks, maybe it will dry out.
Don't leave Hot Springs without eating at The Diner.
Have fun.

Wayne

HikerMom58
06-07-2013, 23:15
Congrats on the first time hiking the AT. :)

I did that section with my daughter in August of 2010. We had a great time! We actually started at I-40 and camped at Painter Branch Campsite since we arrived in the late afternoon. Nice campsite. We hung a bear bag, there. I never saw a bear. We hung or used the bear poles every night. We saw a rattlesnake on the trail our second day out. We also camped right before Max Patch. It was easy to find places to camp. I loved this section. We tented at Walnut Mountain Shelter. Hot Springs is a great trail town!! Have a good time!

We didn't find any ticks on us that year. We did, however, have a problem with yellow jackets or hornets nests in the ground, on or near the trail. We got stung. That was in August tho so they might not be there this early in the year. Hope not.

stranger
06-08-2013, 05:39
Davenport Gap to Hot Springs is a nice section, ticks aren't a big problem down south, compared to the mid-atlantic states, but in the middle of summer it still pays to be careful. The section has plenty of bear activity, I would avoid camping near Walnut Mountain if you fear bears, but bears have successfully stole food at Roaring Fork as well, just use the bear cables or learn how to use the 'PCT Method' of bear bagging using a roll-down waterproof sack.

Hoppy*
06-08-2013, 07:08
Congrats on the first time hiking the AT. :)

We didn't find any ticks on us that year. We did, however, have a problem with yellow jackets or hornets nests in the ground, on or near the trail. We got stung. That was in August tho so they might not be there this early in the year. Hope not.

Ughh, looks like I better take my Epinephrine Injector. Allergic to bees. Thanks everyone for the input very much appreciated.

bigcranky
06-08-2013, 07:31
This is a pretty section. It's a significant climb out of Davenport Gap, but there are good views at the top, and a few campsites along the way up. If the schedule works so that you can camp somewhere along the Max Patch bald, that would be good -- there are some obvious campsites there at the edges, or if the weather is good some hikers just cowboy camp on the top. (Note that there is road access so weekends might bring people in cars.)

Hoop
06-08-2013, 08:27
Hoppy*, you should def carry the epipen. Last Sept between Max Patch and Hot Springs, two yellow jacket nests sprang to action right on the trail as we passed (quietly). I was last in line cuz I'm allergic, so was able to arc around.