PDA

View Full Version : SOBO sleeping bag -- overkill?

TwoSpirits
06-07-2013, 19:45
I am planning for a SOBO next year, starting in June. I am looking for a sleeping bag that will be good to get me thru the Whites, as well as the later months (Oct/Nov..Dec?) as I approach Springer.

Despite my best efforts, I have never slept well in a mummy bag, so I am looking for a semi-rectangular model. Right now I am considering Western Mountaineering's Sequoia: rated to 5*F and weighing 3.25lbs.

Question: Would you consider this bag to be "too much" (i.e., unnecessary insullation/weight/bulk) for the shoulders of my hike, or would the WM Sycamore (rated to 25*F, weight = 2lbs.) be sufficient? FYI, I tend to sleep 'cold' (when I'm not dealing with hot flashes!)

Also, I am not necessarily married to WM bags (they just seem to have a very good reputation), so any suggestions or insights would be welcome and appreciated.

NCMedic
06-11-2013, 12:18
Good question! I am beginning my SOBO next month and am starting with a Western Mountaineering Summerlite bag rated at 32 degrees and very light. When I switch out my summer gear for my winter gear, I will switch out the Summerlite to the Western Mountaineering Versalite which is still only 2 lbs and rated at 10 degrees. The only thing I have to do is figure out when to make the switch.

kidchill
06-11-2013, 17:59
I started with the WM summerlite mummy (or maybe hyperlite...I know it was only like 19oz) and it was fine, except for I was using a hammock and wasn't experienced with it...so, I ended up ditching it and moving to an UQ/TQ. I've used the WM bag in 30 deg weather, in a tent, with an UL inflatable sleep pad, and was definitely warm enough. I do think the temp rating is appropriate, especially if using a tent. Now, my coldest nights during the summer were one 32deg night and multiple high 30 nights in ME. NH was fairly warm for me. The problem is elevation. In the colder months, there were quite a few nights in the teens, and 10 degrees was the coldest temp I was in. This was southern VA and further south while at elevation. Something I neglected to realize is that both ends of the trail are mountainous, and the middle is relatively flat. When Sandy came trough a hiker got stuck in the Smokies and ended up with frostbite. Always plan for the coldest temp, and with my thru it was 10 degrees. Depending on how fast you move, and what the weather is doing, you probably won't need a sub-freezing bag until southern VA or even into NC/TN with the Smokies. Also there's other things you can do to stay warm (instead of carrying a heavy bag)...camp at the lowest elevation possible (which is still high in the Smokies), find sites that have a natural wind block, carry a decent sleeping pad, use a tent, and wear a beanie/extra clothes if needed while sleeping. If you do those things, you may be able to get away with the WM bag and a liner. The UQ/TQ I used was rated at 40deg and I used it the whole way. I picked up a coleman sleeping pad and used that for my core in my hammock, wore my down jacket, wore my beanie, and I was good at 10deg...as long as I didn't roll over and stick my ass outta my TQ...lol

AngryGerman
06-13-2013, 09:59
Well said Kidchill! I would like to add; depending how late in the season you hike in the south, you will consider and maybe even swap out your bag for a warmer bag, as most people tend to do. I was hiking really late in the season and was running into sub 20* temps in the SNP at night in early Dec. and by the time I hit Catawba, VA I was ready to swap out from my 40* bag. Here is an extreme example of temp changes in elevation; I was at the Thomas High Knob Shelter on New Years Eve and it was 0* with 60-80mph winds and blasted ice and snow everywhere. The following day we had to go past Mitchell and head into Damascus; that evening it was almost 40* and raining. That elevation change will have a drastic effect on where and how you sleep for sure! Good luck and keep walking until you touch that plaque at Springer, no matter how long it takes you!