PDA

View Full Version : Lift Needed from Manning Pk to CDT Start

SQUEAKY
07-20-2005, 09:20
Hi Guys, Can anyone offer a lift too Squeaky, he is finishing the PCT on Saturday/Sunday 23th /24th July, he is trying to complete 3 trails this year and do a Triple Crown. He wants to cut down on travelling from one trail to the other, so all expenses will be paid if anyone would like to provide the transport from Manning Park to the start of the CDT.

Sly
07-20-2005, 11:00
Can't give the ride, but does Squeaky have a journal somewhere.

Not saying it's not possible but it seems highly suspect that he'll able to finish the PCT so soon this year with all the snow!

Nean
07-20-2005, 11:17
Good point Sly, what says ye Squeaky- Do any Rybacking?

Sly
07-20-2005, 11:25
I don't know, I found his journal on Trailjournals and with a quick glance, it appears legit. Should be interesting.

Have a peak...

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=89893

Nean
07-20-2005, 11:38
Sobo- nice!

Sly
07-20-2005, 11:51
Sobo- nice!

No actually, he's hiking the PCT northbound. Needs a ride from Manning Park, remember. :)

Without injury, judging by his current speed, he should be able to get through Colorado before October too.

Although he wanted to do it in less than 200 days (that's around 38 mpd) it looks like it'll take him over 300. :D

SQUEAKY
07-20-2005, 13:44
From the brother of Squeaky, have a look at his journal and read, you will then see from all the hazards, and documented proof there is , he did start the PCT on 4th May 2005 and will finish this weekend 23 or 24th July, all done on foot and unsupported through shear determination and will power. He is a NOBO and when finished this weekend will break the existing speed record of 83 days, to which we where informed the past record was a supported one. I can asure you my brother has done this all on foot and soley alone, no cheating needed where sole dedication is evident.

Alan

I don't know, I found his journal on Trailjournals and with a quick glance, it appears legit. Should be interesting.

Have a peak...

SQUEAKY
07-20-2005, 13:50
just sent a message to Sly, and would like to inform you both that my brother started the PCT on 4th May this year, he has trained hard for this and has been through all the snows and hazards this year has brought. There has been no Rybacking as you call it, he is a damn determined bloke and its is all this negativity out there that all you guys put out when some one works so hard in what he believes ., that does put other people off. Have a look at his journal everything is all documented and in his sole truthfully done. Believe it or not who cares..

Alan

Good point Sly, what says ye Squeaky- Do any Rybacking?

Sly
07-20-2005, 14:35
Yo Alan, don't get offended.

This is the 1st I've heard of your brothers attempt and it took me by surprise. I wish him the best. As a matter of fact, I've passed the news on to the www.backcountry.net lists which include all three Trails talking it up and trying to get him a ride.

As far as I'm concerned it's all good. Go Squeaky!!!! :banana

Sly
07-20-2005, 14:45
Here's the thread I started. Hopefully, it may help him get a ride or atleast create interest.

Since I never heard of the attempt before and it will for the foreseeable
future include both the CDT and AT, I'm going to pass on a thread already started on the pct-l.

Sorry for cross posting to dual or multiple listers

Who would have thunk it?

Not me. Has this even been mentioned previously?

In a single year Triple Crown attempt, it appears "Squeaky" is going to
finish his northbound PCT hike in less than a weeks time.

I've skimmed through his journal and it appears legit. With a finish date
anticipated for this Saturday or Sunday, another website has him looking for
a ride from Manning Park to Glacier NP or Waterton Lakes, I presume.

Can anyone here help him out? Email [email protected] or meet him by the trailhead I guess.

Since he had such an "easy" time on the PCT, with all the snow this year, the
CDT should be a piece of cake, the AT one cold muther.

Sly

In a message dated 7/20/2005 1:25:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

Has this been done before? I know the trails have been hiked in their
entirety in a single year, but wasn't that faciltitated by flying around to
multiple 'mini section hikes'? Have people thru-hiked all three trails in
one year?? This seems like one absolutely amazing accomplishment...
also, re AT one cold mutha: remember the boys at Valley Forge....

> In a single year Triple Crown attempt, it appears "Squeaky" is going to
> finish his northbound PCT hike in less than a weeks time.

My reply....

> Has this been done before? I know the trails have been hiked in their
> entirety in a single year, but wasn't that faciltitated by flying around to

> multiple 'mini section hikes'? Have people thru-hiked all three trails in
> one year??
>

As far as I know Flyin' Brian is the only one to complete it, and in a
calender year. Although he intended to hike each trail straight through,
weather and *snow* got in the way on the AT. He then hiked NM, all the PCT, finished the CDT and then finished the AT in about 10 months. I believe he may have traveled from trailhead to trailhead via car, bus and plane.

Brian was blessed with realitively good weather and low snowpack in the
Sierras. Certainly less than this year, not that it would have stopped him
if it had been the same. Afterall, he's already hiked the High Sierras this year.

According to his journal, Squeaky originally intended on doing the Triple
Crown in less than 200 days. Backpacking, without a support crew, that's a
pace I would think impossible. Still, he's on pace to do it in much less time
than Brian but not within the calender year.

SQUEAKY
07-20-2005, 18:18
Thanks for your support, I did think you where trying to put him down, I just get annoyed, just because some people think it is impossible to do, does not mean Squeaky does. He is very determined and all hikers know him will know he has the sheer determination to carry this Triple Crown out to his best. He has also heard of flying Brian and his attempt also, but what Squeaky wanted to do was thru hike them all and not flip flop , and to be honest he has been through some tough days in the snow, which in his words will make it easier out of snow days. Thanks again for your help and postings for transport.

Yo Alan, don't get offended.

This is the 1st I've heard of your brothers attempt and it took me by surprise. I wish him the best. As a matter of fact, I've passed the news on to the www.backcountry.com (http://www.backcountry.com/) lists which include all three Trails talking it up and trying to get him a ride.

As far as I'm concerned it's all good. Go Squeaky!!!! :banana

Nean
07-20-2005, 21:25
Sorry you didn't get my first post, the one that offered help and place to stay when your brother got to Hot Spings- you started 3 threads. Sly made a good point and I asked a fair Question. The only negativity came from you, friend. I glanced at the front page of the journal and thought it said something about the low snow up north and being able to start early so I thought sobo, ohno. I'm rooting for your brother and as I pointed out on the other thread he will become the first to hike 2 trails end to end if his next leg is successful. Best Wishes

Sly
07-20-2005, 22:32
I'm rooting for your brother and as I pointed out on the other thread he will become the first to hike 2 trails end to end if his next leg is successful. Best Wishes

As far as I know Squeaky would be the 1st to hike the PCT and CDT end-to-end in a single season, but Sven and Bung hiked the PCT and AT end-end in '99.

I have no desire to maintain the necessary pace for a double or triple crown in a single season, but I really like the idea of staying out for 10 months.

SQUEAKY
07-21-2005, 06:28
Sorry if I jumped the gun, but I know from past conversations with Squeaky the neg out on the trails is more than the positive, we know he is going through tough times and the snows and if you see by his journal it has been very tough going. His tapes are sent home to England to be put on the journals, as you appreciate he would not have the time to sit at a computer and type that is why they are not up to date as yet. Thanks again for your support and I will try and find the threads you posted to help.

Alan

Sorry you didn't get my first post, the one that offered help and place to stay when your brother got to Hot Spings- you started 3 threads. Sly made a good point and I asked a fair Question. The only negativity came from you, friend. I glanced at the front page of the journal and thought it said something about the low snow up north and being able to start early so I thought sobo, ohno. I'm rooting for your brother and as I pointed out on the other thread he will become the first to hike 2 trails end to end if his next leg is successful. Best Wishes

Nean
07-21-2005, 10:51
Sorry Sly, Sven and Bung did NOT hike the PCT end to end. I know they implied it in a artical I read, but ask them- they skipped about 40m around Glacier Peak and came back a few weeks later, after Manning, to pick it up. In 97 I had a goal of 2 in 1 year but my priority, I told folks, was to stay out 10-11months and have fun. Well I didn't make it to Campo but I was out from Jan19 to Dec14 and loved it. The only reason I don't hike year round is money.

No problem Alan! I call it the Pacific NorthWest Syndrome over here; caused by lack of :sun , I reckon. You were sticking up for your Bro, so I can admire that. Understand that a huge % of self desribed thru-hikers skip and if your brother is out setting records people have every right to ask if the extremely high snow year caused him to S&B:eek: :) I never mind being asked, maybe because I enjoy being able to look someone in the eye and answering, Every step. GO SQUEAKY!!:jump