PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Solar news you can use....

Wise Old Owl
06-08-2013, 11:40
Well I have been at this for several years and discussing solutions on several electronic sites... I have homebrewed, tested and purchased Goal Zero only to return it... I have burned up a cell phone in the process... As an Amateur Radio Operator and 4 years of schooling, I have come to this solution.

1. The closer the solar cell is to the actual charger that comes with the phone the more compatible it will be...
2. premium solar cells have collector lines that are smaller and closer together.
3. many packages use unnecessary weight to protect the cells
4. if the solar cell is at the same voltage it eliminates the need for a regulator.
5. better price means eliminate the middle man.
6. find a way to really charge in two hours of daylight instead of 6 or 8 as many small (over the counter) panels do.
7. If I eliminate the weight would people buy a product from me?

That last one was a hurdle, I had to find out if anyone else was doing this .. and the answer is yes, there really is a lot of competition out there. Except for Iphone.

So under my desk is many chargers for several phones, Black Berry, Motorola, LG and they all have one thing in common... 5 volts and 400 to 700MA (Milliamps) a measurement of flow of electrons... the more amps the bigger the flow into the battery.

So we are looking to find a panel that has a USB connector at 5 volts 5watts or 1amp. to cut the charge time down, without overheating the battery. Missing a case. That is compatible with all phones... and Anker and Trent.

* Keep in mind Smart phones have too many "warnings and bells" so they must be switched off while charging... if that is possible... already I have discovered if you are hiking the trail its better to charge the Anker directly then charge a smart phone for this reason.

my google search looked something like this... 5v 5w 1000ma solar panel part

Here is where my search led me..... Under $40 Blue Solar in China.... my only concern is there is no mention of a protection diode.... but that can be added.

http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Charger-Panel-Power-Supply/dp/B009VC7Z88/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lg_1

For the Iphone,Ipods and Ipad it would be two or three panels 5volt 2amp wired together... hence the cost would triple.

Why did I return the Goal Zero? its a 12 volt device, its heavy, and has a built in regulator. The phone complained right in the driveway with every cloud.... As someone pointed out the battery pack that it came with was inefficient. So it did not suit my needs.

No mention of Power film - the more I look at it the more I understand it doesn't have the juice and requires 2x the number of panels.

Wise Old Owl
06-09-2013, 11:00
by comparison you can see the difference!

21965This is 5v and half an amp or 650ma
21966This is the same size and 1 amp or 1000 ma

21967This is poly crystal and cheaper to make but they charge more for it on some sites. A little less power for a few more $

The average size for a 1 amp panel or 5 watt appears to be 9x7 inches and not much smaller... Hense smaller panels will take longer and can be an expensive tease... or heavier due to packaging...

Wise Old Owl
06-29-2013, 08:24
4 bears posted this idea from a manufacture that appears light enough The Sales Literature is a little slanted.

WOO check this out... http://www.suntactics.com/shop/usb-scharger-5/ ..... here is Stumpknockers initial test report.... http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=397179 for your reading pleasure. :)

The new solar panels will charge under cloudy conditions, they will not charge under light rain. If they are close to some of the most powerful wall chargers they will charge a smart phone in two hours. I am observing hikers on the AT hiking with the panels on top of the pack going to the New Trent or Anker.

Keep in mind, that sometimes just getting a little charge at some times of the day prevents a dead phone.

Wise Old Owl
10-12-2013, 10:55
Solar Panel 1 amp 5watt 5 volt 5 ounces

Android Smart Phone 5 ounces
Anker Back up Battery with light 3200ah 5v .06 amp 2.5 ounces
Go zero light Stick 1 ounce

QiWiz
10-12-2013, 20:39
I have used Goal Zero to charge New Trent battery pack to recharge iPhone. Worked for me at Boy Scout Jamboree for 10 days of quite heavy use of Phone. Too heavy for backpacking and needs sun to work well. Would be fine to use in a base camp situation.

Wise Old Owl
10-12-2013, 23:22
I agree - and just to share here is the real issue... I have installed an app on the android and I can see that my android can handle 2 amps - two panels are ten ounces. Android doesn't release information on max values. I know for a fact that Android notifier gets upset at three amps - ( Battery overheats) so as sunny days hit and the sun heads south, I need real data on charge and phone handling in real time...I am very serious at finding two hour charges without a melt...

I am thinking ordering more panels and involving you. Let me see how this shakes out- in the trails.

Wise Old Owl
10-12-2013, 23:28
here is another idea a capacitor smoother on cloudy days,

Starchild
10-13-2013, 08:29
What is Power Film? Is that the flexible solar panels?

Wise Old Owl
10-13-2013, 10:50
Yes that's the flexible film solar panels... As I looked into manufacture they are light and don't produce a lot of power. Brunton actually focused on this style and they have more panels to make up for the low output, and look at the prices!

Don Newcomb
10-13-2013, 14:37
One thing to consider is that some solar packs are designed to have even direct sun. Any shadow on any spot may cut the power output way down. I've known folks who designed solar power systems for remote sites and buoys. Some brands of solar cells will be shut down by a couple spots of bird poop on a 3'x3' surface. They'd have a similar reaction to anything that shadowed any part of the panel. Other types of panels degrade more gracefully as they get dirty or in partial shadow.

Wise Old Owl
10-13-2013, 15:01
Hi Dan - if there is bird poop on your panel please clean it off... the latest generation of panels do not need full sun to charge, they will charge on a cloudy day and take longer to do it. When light rain hits the panel ceases to charge, so you pack them away.

I understand you are a referring to a generation back with cheaper materials and from post number 2 understand there are cheap panels and more expensive ones and they provide a very different power. They almost look the same.

Starchild
10-13-2013, 18:51
Yes that's the flexible film solar panels... As I looked into manufacture they are light and don't produce a lot of power. Brunton actually focused on this style and they have more panels to make up for the low output, and look at the prices!

Wondering how the weight of a flat panel solar panel used to recharge a smartphone while hiking compares to a equal weight flexible panel that is unrolled during lunch in direct sun to recharge the smart phone. Do you have any info on this?

Also have you looked into methanol fuel cells?

Wise Old Owl
10-13-2013, 23:54
Brunton at $435 each

SOLARROLL® 9 Specs

Rollable amorphous thin-film solar cells for effective low-light performance
Reverse flow protection
Fluoropolymer construction for extreme durability
Link multiple like-units together for even more output
Rolls and stores in convenient storage tube
Includes: Vehicle outlet cable, multi-linking cable and storage tube
Panel type: Amorphous
Overall dimensions: 29”x9” 9”x5”x1.5” folded
Weight: 7.1 oz
Max output: 9 watts (12 volts / 600mA)

VS.

2 panels or 10 watts with what I am using and 2AMPS (2000 ma) 10 ounces and i would think $150 with shipping. based on preliminary tests...

Don Newcomb
10-14-2013, 08:12
if there is bird poop on your panel please clean it off... The point was not that there will be bird droppings on a panel we'd use to charge batteries while backpacking but rather that with some designs, any small spot of shade, even a single leaf could shut down the whole panel. So, if you hike and camp in a "green tunnel" like many of us do; different designs may perform differently in partial sun.

Starchild
10-14-2013, 08:12
Brunton at $435 each

SOLARROLL® 9 Specs

Rollable amorphous thin-film solar cells for effective low-light performance
Reverse flow protection
Fluoropolymer construction for extreme durability
Link multiple like-units together for even more output
Rolls and stores in convenient storage tube
Includes: Vehicle outlet cable, multi-linking cable and storage tube
Panel type: Amorphous
Overall dimensions: 29”x9” 9”x5”x1.5” folded
Weight: 7.1 oz
Max output: 9 watts (12 volts / 600mA)

VS.

2 panels or 10 watts with what I am using and 2AMPS (2000 ma) 10 ounces and i would think $150 with shipping. based on preliminary tests...

Thank you, it looks like power to weight is about the same, which was what I was interested in. Was hoping the power to weight ratio to be much better, allowing a much larger panel and more power per oz carried. Was not considering the cost, just looking at what is possible.

Wise Old Owl
10-17-2013, 21:39
On a sunny day I can invert the panel backwards away from the sun and it still sends a reasonable charge, cloudy - leaves - green tunnel... its overcoming any objection.

Timinator
11-21-2013, 12:40
I use goal zero's newest panels and they will charge on a cloudy rainy day in the green tunnel of the AT (unless its really bad) and even inside the house if its next to a window. The downside is it weights 1.5 lbs. However I find it worth it because its ultra rugged and reliable.

Wise Old Owl
12-01-2013, 22:27
Yep its great - I have mentioned that many a time... unfortunately that wonderful panel doesn't work with Motorola Aptiva - the phone is unwilling to take a charge. I have a few answers now... Stuck with the phone one more year - I just have to do two more bench test...

lilricky
12-08-2013, 07:53
The only problem with Mono-crystalline Silicon panels when it comes to hiking with them is durability. Unless you are going to store them in some heavy rubberized material, they will snap on you in a backpack. If you're talking about wanting to charge your electronics for a week or two, it might be a better idea to go with a high capacity battery pack that will charge a smartphone 4-5 times before depleting. Even on a thru-hike, you could easily charge one up while doing town visits. I use a Powerfilm panel for charging my phone/batteries, but I live and hike in Florida where anamorphic silicon panels work really well. Plus I trickle charge while my phone is off, which is the best way, IMHO, to do it.

Wise Old Owl
12-08-2013, 15:46
Good to know - Thanks!

Wise Old Owl
01-23-2014, 00:07
Ahh A LITTLE UPDATE... I recently received a power supply for Christmas 2013 and in the fine print "Not Compatible" with Motorola Android! So I dug into the internet again and there are loads of information since I started looking for solutions. I finally found out what happened with the Goal Zero products and Motorola, Apple, and Samsung phones - You see even in bright sunlight - you cannot charge directly to your phone, which would save on weight... Their site and Anazon's have clear Q&A that the phones complain and won't accept the charge. Which I found out the hard way when I purchased the product, about a year ago, It can be done but its a bear to do.
Motorola, Apple, and Samsung use a small piece of sampling software inside the phone and look at the data pins to determine if the phone is hooked up to a charger or a computer. They even look at the voltage to determine if the charger is proprietary or china knock offs. Goal Zero dropped the ball here and wanted everyone to purchase the heavy AA battery pack and most folk do. But for size and power an ANKER (http://www.amazon.com/10000mAh-Smartphones-USB-charged-Adapters--Lightning/dp/B009USAJCC/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1390342424&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=portable+power+supply+anker) or similar battery backup. Strangly the LED light would come on when hooked up to the Goal Zero - I gave up at that point and returned it to REI.I also vowed never to buy a Motorola phone again...

The big three smart phones need a short on the data pins or a resistive circuit to tell the phone what it's connected to..Turns out my Motorola likes the Apple Charger and vise versa. The voltage cannot drop below 5.3 volts in a two to three minute period.

So here is the solution. Yes Goal Pro can charge a phone in two hours. if you want it direct the housing on the product would have to be opened or a dongle added between the wire and the panel to fake out the phone. The panel could not be moved while charging OR...
Charge an Anker. don't buy the Goal Zero Battery. Its a shame these two companies don't get together.

Shonryu
01-23-2014, 19:43
I bought a Bear Gryllis one off of Amazon. Weights 5oz and without the end caps dropped it to 4oz and since I can use the same Charing cable for it on my phone aged me from having to carry an extra charging cable. What I like about this one is if one of the tiny panels breaks the whole system will still charge. Ive been using it for awhile now and its served me well on the trail and does what I want it to do. I also carry a new trent back up battery that weights 4.3oz. So total weight is 8.3oz to be completely no dependent on a power source for charging my phone and my headlamp.

Wise Old Owl
01-31-2014, 20:20
Well Shonryu that product has the battery built in...I would suggest you charge it before you leave.

Compact, lightweight solar roll with integrated high capacity li-ion battery
Solar charging and power storage charging your devices when you're off the grid
2200mAh Li-Ion battery on-board to charge your smartphone, MP3 player, e-reader or action camera
Battery charges from a USB power source in 4-hours or 10-hours from the sun
Single USB output compatible with nearly any USB powered rechargeable device, Micro-USB input for pre-charging with included USB/Micro-USB cord

I would urge or suggest you read reviews before you buy anything. A couple of them said all day in bright sun slow to charge...
IF it works for you that's great... keep in mind a couple of phones will need the entire battery to get charged.