PDA

View Full Version : First post

ciphoto
06-08-2013, 14:27
I'm honored to be the first post here...

I hope this becomes a good resource for those wanting to add to their hiking experiences....

Thanks WB

peace

perrito
06-08-2013, 15:14
Yeah! New trail forum!

Mountain Dog
06-08-2013, 15:29
Thanks White Blaze and I am amazed at your speed. I sent a message just this morning about starting a site for the Pinhoti and here it is. I hope all the good folks on the Alabama Trails forum that is being discontinued show up here.

atmilkman
06-08-2013, 15:32
I like it. I'm glad to see it. I'm nowhere near an expert on the trail but I have been on it and worked on it enough to help out with some stuff. There's not a trailhead that my wife Shuttle Shellie can't get to within 2 hours. She ought to know, she's had to bail me out enough times.:eek:

atmilkman
06-08-2013, 15:36
Thanks White Blaze and I am amazed at your speed. I sent a message just this morning about starting a site for the Pinhoti and here it is. I hope all the good folks on the Alabama Trails forum that is being discontinued show up here.

Yes, thank you WhiteBlaze. We got a pretty nice trail here in Alabama that we are pretty proud of. We think it would be a great place for AT hikers to come check out.

Matt65
06-08-2013, 16:11
Thanks to White Blaze for adding this section to your forum!

If only we could migrate the AlaTrails website (soon to shutdown) into this section of White Blaze. A lot of good information stands to be lost.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ewker
06-09-2013, 02:34
Thanks to WB/attroll for starting this section.

blisterbob
06-09-2013, 13:06
I add my THANK YOU to White Blaze for the Pinhoti thread in more than words.
Now I will pull up my pay pal account.

ednotmilkman
06-09-2013, 15:23
hey milkman, how have you been doing since your walk last Aug on the bad knee ?

Edwin

atmilkman
06-09-2013, 15:39
hey milkman, how have you been doing since your walk last Aug on the bad knee ?

Edwin
I did real well rehabbing at the gym, then did real well hiking in FL through the winter. I was up to 16's in about 4˝hrs. but that was on a well manicured wood chip trail in the county park. Then I walked 109 miles around Lake Okeechobee - all day hikes no pack and felt pretty good. Lastly I did a 70 mile 6 day full backpack hike from the lake to the ocean. That was in Feb and that felt great so I thought I was ready for my thru in March. Started out okay but I could tell day by day it wasn't gonna happen. Both knees were starting to hurt worse and worse every day. So in order to avoid what happened back in May on the Pinhoti which put me on crutches I got off after only about 50 miles at Unicoi Gap. I'm getting both of them done in Oct. in FL and if everthing goes right I'm gonna rehab them down there until spring then I'm gonna give them a try with a Pinhoti thru and if that fairs well I'm gonna give the AT another try.

atmilkman
06-09-2013, 15:45
Oh, Hey Edwin, I saw where you guys were gonna work up on Horn Mountain around the shelter. How did that go? I can still do stuff like this and a little bit of walking and clipping just not big miles. Let me know the next time you've got something like this planned and I'll see if I can make it.

Gray Blazer
06-09-2013, 23:58
I did real well rehabbing at the gym, then did real well hiking in FL through the winter. I was up to 16's in about 4˝hrs. but that was on a well manicured wood chip trail in the county park. Then I walked 109 miles around Lake Okeechobee - all day hikes no pack and felt pretty good. Lastly I did a 70 mile 6 day full backpack hike from the lake to the ocean. That was in Feb and that felt great so I thought I was ready for my thru in March. Started out okay but I could tell day by day it wasn't gonna happen. Both knees were starting to hurt worse and worse every day. So in order to avoid what happened back in May on the Pinhoti which put me on crutches I got off after only about 50 miles at Unicoi Gap. I'm getting both of them done in Oct. in FL and if everthing goes right I'm gonna rehab them down there until spring then I'm gonna give them a try with a Pinhoti thru and if that fairs well I'm gonna give the AT another try.

You should be good to go.

marti038
06-10-2013, 09:03
Wow. I just signed up to post on WB last week and I was thinking, "If only the Pinhoti had its own forum."

Thanks for getting the ball rolling Mountain Dog.

waterman1148
06-11-2013, 05:21
I add my THANK YOU to White Blaze for the Pinhoti thread in more than words.
Now I will pull up my pay pal account.

Sounds like a hell of an idea! I may just do that myself.

schlanky
08-09-2013, 09:47
Thanks to whiteblaze for adding a Pinhoti section, and thanks, Mountain Dog, for telling me about it.

HikerMom58
08-09-2013, 09:55

We will all be right with you, ATM, through your knee surgery.. just like Gray Blazer said.. you should be good to go.

3 cheers for the new forum... looks like it's a BIG hit!! :banana

atmilkman
08-09-2013, 09:55
Thanks to whiteblaze for adding a Pinhoti section, and thanks, Mountain Dog, for telling me about it.

Hey schlanky :welcome to WhiteBlaze and the Pinhoti forum. Maybe we'll meet on the trail one day.

atmilkman
08-09-2013, 10:01
We will all be right with you, ATM, through your knee surgery.. just like Gray Blazer said.. you should be good to go.

3 cheers for the new forum... looks like it's a BIG hit!! :banana

Thanks HM. I'll keep everybody posted. :welcome Welcome to our little forum. We got a really nice trail in the Pinhoti that we're proud of. It's our little AT. If you ever want to do it I'll make sure it will be as smooth as possible.

HikerMom58
08-09-2013, 10:04
Thanks HM. I'll keep everybody posted. :welcome Welcome to our little forum. We got a really nice trail in the Pinhoti that we're proud of. It's our little AT. If you ever want to do it I'll make sure it will be as smooth as possible.

THanks so much ATM... I'll have to look at this "little AT trail" more closely now. You got my attention now.. I'm interested. :)

schlanky
08-10-2013, 19:28
Thanks for the kind welcome, milkman. Glad to be here. Good luck with your knee procedure and rehab.

ednotmilkman
08-10-2013, 21:22
I will post when we have our fall work days or week on the Pinhoti. Sometimes we just have a Sat. work day on a small part of it, but for the last several years, some of our AHTS leaders, Rick Gushe, Kent Cooper and John Calhoun, have been leading a full work week both in the spring and the fall. John has been our full time volunteer trail maintainer for years! If you have a question or to report a blowdown on the trail, call John. I can give you a number privtely as he doesn't do internet much. Some of this work may be on the recently purchased land that will eventually extend the Pinhoti north from Flagg Mountain to the trail town of Weogufga. When this 8 mile or so section is finished, then we wait for another Nature Conservancy or Forever Wild purchase to be made to complete the gap between Weogufga and the Rebecca Mountain trailhead terminus.