PDA

View Full Version : The Nest Down Under Quilt...

napster
07-20-2005, 09:26
I was wondering what bag rating I should use in my HH with a nest under quilt and if the temps were 0*figuring a wind chill of 20 mph & also a temp rating of 20* subject to the same wind chill factors.It = +/- 40* depending on how the wind howls Also would the 4 season insulation HH system undercover support the quilt system? How would the suspension system work or would it at all? Yes I am a very cold sleeper. I have a O* DENALI AND A 35*KELTY.YET i HOPE TO CUT WT AND SPACE WHEN AND IF I PURCHACE THIS QUILT. ANYONE GOT ONE FOR SELL? I OWN A HH EXPLOYER ULTRALITE A-SYM. Indesperate need or soon will suscribe to hypo frost bitten A$$ thread soon.

SGT Rock
07-20-2005, 09:41
I'll try to answer these as best I can...

I was wondering what bag rating I should use in my HH with a nest under quilt and if the temps were 0*figuring a wind chill of 20 mph & also a temp rating of 20* subject to the same wind chill factors.
So you are needing a 0* bag and a 20* bag with a HH? The sentance structure is hard for me to figure exactly what you are asking for.

Well all things are fairly subjective in the first place. Personally I have used my Nunatak BCB down to the teens with warm clothing and an underquilt with a pad. The BCB is rated to 15*, so in that case I consider it accurate in it's rating. If you are using a bag from a good company, then I would expect the rating to match what you need as long as you use adequate under-hammock inulation for the weather you are going in.

It = +/- 40* depending on how the wind howls Also would the 4 season insulation HH system undercover support the quilt system?
The HH undercover could support the quilt with some work, but the HH system doesn't breath. I used the HH system and ended up with condensation, which would be a bad thing for the down in a JRB Quilt. JRB makes an undersystem which does basically the same thing as the HH system except it breaths and it also uses the same support system as the quilt.

How would the suspension system work or would it at all? Yes I am a very cold sleeper. I have a O* DENALI AND A 35*KELTY.YET i HOPE TO CUT WT AND SPACE WHEN AND IF I PURCHACE THIS QUILT.
If you plan to get a new bag, look at a quilt. JRB makes some quilts, nunatak makes some, and probably some others I am forgetting.

ANYONE GOT ONE FOR SELL? I OWN A HH EXPLOYER ULTRALITE A-SYM. Indesperate need or soon will suscribe to hypo frost bitten A$$ thread soon.
Not me, I love my JRB quilt and want to keep it.

napster
07-20-2005, 09:57
NA sarge what i meant to say was that IF the weather is 0 degrees with a 20 windchill factor or visa virsa.Just tried to be all inclusive so you all would not have to ask what kind of weather and so forth?

dougmeredith
07-20-2005, 10:40
The best thing you can do about the wind chill is get out of the wind. I know this isn't always possible, but if you find a spot in dense woods, it is amazing how much it blocks the wind.

Doug

napster
07-20-2005, 10:44
Oh the #ell with it! Thanks any way sarge and doug . Im going complete opposite of go-lite! Im fixing straight for
to the army surplus store and buying me a $50 down used bag, cut it as the expensive name brands under quilt then use my undercover to support it. When it gets wet I will use the other side of the cut down bag for camping and in mean time I will lay the wet one one my computer desk and and open up a thread on GUNS or POT and let the hot firey inputs of my fellow hikers dry it out!

Just Jeff
07-20-2005, 20:03
That's funny. Open a thread about snoring in shelters, too.

You might look at the JRB 4 season set. If you're stuck on a HH, I don't think there's a better cold weather solution out there. If you're a cold sleeper, get the overstuff. I wish I did. Love the set, though.

The problem with using bags and undercovers is that it's difficult to keep the insulation snug on the bottom of the hammock without compressing it. It can certainly be done if you have the time and inclination to fiddle with it, though.