PDA

View Full Version : Water/Camping North of NOC

jesse
06-09-2013, 04:33
I am planning to go from NOC to Fontana June 21. I will probably get a late start and not make it as far as Sassafras Gap Shelter the first day. Question: Is there a good camping spot/water source just a few miles North of NOC?

Hikes in Rain
06-09-2013, 09:12
It's been a while since I was there, but I don't recall any "good" campsites north until Sassafras. I seem to recall a drippy spring coming down a cliff face, north of a nice rock outcropping with a long view back down to NOC. It's a LONG haul up there!

Slo-go'en
06-09-2013, 11:51
Maybe. I'm showing a camp site and spring 2.6 miles north of NOC, just before Grassy Gap.

If you don't want to spend a night at the NOC, another possibility is to hike south to the A. Rufus Morgan shelter, an easy 1.5 miles. Then get a good breakfist at the river crossing resturant and hike up to Sassafrass the next day.

max patch
06-09-2013, 12:45
I remember this was discussed a few years ago.

Good luck using the search function.

daddytwosticks
06-09-2013, 12:49
I remember this was discussed a few years ago.

Good luck using the search function. Agreed. I think last year this time! Slo-go'en gave the best advice IMO. Have fun. :)

Kerosene
06-09-2013, 16:43
I recall that there was supposed to be water and a campsite an hour or so north of NOC, but it wasn't obvious where it was as we were passing through. The next sure water is at the shelter.

RED-DOG
06-10-2013, 07:59
The campsite is not obvious it's kinda hard to find, and the last time i was their the water source was dry, like slo-goen said hike south to A Rufus Morgan shelter, start early the next morning and grab a great breakfast at Rivers End.