PDA

View Full Version : My Gear List - Pick it apart!

Bigglesworth
06-09-2013, 08:39
Below is my gear list. Please feel free to give your opinions. I am debating the following, in particular: Should I bring a head net? Can I dump my convertable pants? Maps or guide book pages? Should I switch to a different bear cannister (which I hesitate to do because I own the Garcia and I know how it configures with my pack).

Here it is...

Gear List

JMT 2013

WORN/CARRIED

ITEM

WT (OZ)

COMMENTS

Baselayer - top

ss REI top

Baselayer – top 2

REI Sahara ls shirt w/ collar

sun

Baselayer bottom

EMS techwick longjohns

sleepwear

Midlayer top

EMS Ascent down puffy

Outer layer bottom

Generic running short

Outer layer bottom 2

Pants - convertable

necessary??

Socks

Darn tough low cut (2)

May switch out 1 long smartwool

Headwear

KAVU (wide brimmed) hat

Eyewear

Adidas sunglasses

Shoes

Asics Gel Fuji Trainer 2

Crocs too?

OTHER CLOTHING

ITEM

WT (OZ)

COMMENTS

Gloves

EMS liner

Balaclava

REI

Hat

None for warmth

Balaclava will suffice

Rain Jacket

Patagonia Torrentshell

Weight ok for cost

Rain Pants

None

Little snow this year

PACKING

ITEM

WT (OZ)

COMMENTS

Pack

GoLite Jam

Stuff sacks

Various

Wallet

Ziplocs

Bear Cannister

Garcia machine

Miserable, required

SLEEPING

ITEM

WT (OZ)

COMMENTS

Bag

Sierra Designs Cal Down 13

Replaced old bag L

Pad

Thermarest Neoair

SHELTER

ITEM

WT (OZ)

COMMENTS

Tent

Zpacks Hexamid solo tent

About 16 total for all shelter items

Ground cloth

Zpacks cuben fiber solo

Stakes

Virgo titanium – 8

Stuff sacks

For tent and stakes – cuben

COOKING

ITEM

WT (OZ)

COMMENTS

Pot

Snow Peak titanium 700 ml

Cooking dinner only

Spork

Snow Peak titanium

Stove

Fancy Feast alcohol stove

Windscreen

Aluminum foil

Alcohol fuel container

8 oz bottle

May need bigger

HYDRATION

ITEM

WT (OZ)

COMMENTS

Bladder

Camelback 2L

Bottle

Platypus foldable 1 L

Switch to Powerade bottle?

Sterilization

Tba – steripen or aqua mira

TOILETRIES/FIRST AID

ITEM

WT (OZ)

COMMENTS

Contact lenses

10 pair at a time, trimmed

Spare glasses

Rx

necessary

Bug spray

Bens

No head net

Hair Brush

Modified travel w/mirror

A must for me

Tooth brush

Trimmed childs

Tooth paste

Mini travel

Wet wipes

5 cut in half at a time

Necessary w/ contacts

Toilet paper

Mini roll

Blister care

Gell pads (6)

Wound cover

Thin post surgery covers (2)

Duct Tape

Duct tape

Tool

Mini-Leatherman squirt

Hand sanitizer

Purell

May not bring

Topical Containers

Sunscreen, chapstick

1 each resupply

Other

2 AA batteries

Camera and headlamp

LIGHTING

ITEM

WT (OZ)

COMMENTS

Headlamp

Mammut S-Flex

1.7 w/ battery

RECORDING

ITEM

WT (OZ)

COMMENTS

Camera

Canon digital point and shoot

Older, same as AT

Journal

Mini paper notebook

Pen

Generic mini

Other

GoalZero solar panel

Considering bringing

MISCELLANEOUS

ITEM

WT (OZ)

COMMENTS

Map

May not bring

Guide Materials

Paperback guidebook

Cash, Permit, ID, Card

Fire

Bic mini lighter

Cell Phone

Texting and emergency

Trekking Poles

Black Diamond Trail Ergo

My tent pole

fredmugs
06-14-2013, 08:02
My only comment is that I fried pretty bad and even with sun screen I had to wear my rain pants to cover up my legs. I hiked the JMT first week of Sept last year. Make sure you can cover your exposed skin if required. I used Halfmile's maps. Even if you don't use them I would still review them before leaving because he lists lots of water and camping places by mile marker. Very useful info.

markdek
06-14-2013, 09:44
Consider this hat:

http://www.tahoemountainsports.com/product/chillba-hat

Lone_Star
06-16-2013, 13:04
How well do you think your alcohol stove will work in the High Sierras? I've been led to believe that alcohol stoves perform poorly at altitude and in cold/windy conditions. 8 oz is very small. I would carry a whole bottle of HEET (12 oz) if you're going to go that route. I use an alcohol stove regularly here in Texas, but I'm thinking of taking a pressurized fuel (butane) cooking system to be safe. Thoughts anyone?

Coffee
06-16-2013, 13:11
Try the Outdoor Research Sun Runner cap if sun exposure is an issue. I wore this hat along with long sleeve smartwool microweight shirt and convertible pants with the bottoms left on during a recent Grand Canyon trip. Also, fingerless gloves used with trekking poles. I only applied sunscreen to my nose and front of my fact and to my fingers which were exposed to sun due to my use of the trekking poles. I had no sunburn issues at all. I find that covering up in areas with lots of sun exposure is better than putting on a ton of sunscreen multiple times per day.

staehpj1
06-18-2013, 12:33
How well do you think your alcohol stove will work in the High Sierras? I've been led to believe that alcohol stoves perform poorly at altitude and in cold/windy conditions. 8 oz is very small. I would carry a whole bottle of HEET (12 oz) if you're going to go that route. I use an alcohol stove regularly here in Texas, but I'm thinking of taking a pressurized fuel (butane) cooking system to be safe. Thoughts anyone?

I have not had any issues with using my alcohol burner at a little over 10,000'. I have not used it higher than that though. Some of those times were colder than the temps I expect to see on the JMT. For windy conditions a wind screen is a must.

As far as how much fuel to carry... My understanding is that you can buy alcohol by the ounce several places along the JMT.

My concern with using an alcohol stove is whether, given the minimal snow pack this year, there will be burning bans that ban alcohol stoves. Does any one have thoughts on how likely that is? Since I am planning to drive there I figured I could take both the canister stove and the pop can stove in the car and decide when I get there which to put in the pack.

Lone_Star
06-18-2013, 14:14
I originally thought about taking my Trangia alcohol stove and windscreen and resupplying with HEET along the way. I haven't heard of any burning bans, but I'll let others on or more familiar with the trail comment on that. I've decided, however, to go with my butane stove/burner and 4 oz cans, not just because of the cold and wind, but also the higher altitude. Boil times are slow where I'm at (near sea level), and I've heard they can be twice as long at altitude. That means waiting longer for my meals and using twice the fuel. I'm not sure there will be any weight savings is that is the case, so a pressurized system is what I'll likely use. I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say, especially if they've used alky stove on the JMT.

garyp
06-21-2013, 16:13
yes burning bans are in place already.

Kerosene
08-25-2016, 18:17
Alcohol stoves banned in 2016 also.

Collin
08-28-2016, 14:17
My subjective 2 cents: mosquitoes seem to come and go on the JMT- the weight penalty for a headnet is practically nothing, but the downside of not having one is huge. I don't think you are going to save much weight by going with a cat stove (if it is allowed- I did not come across anyone who had one in July) since you'll need a wind screen and fuel for the trip since you'll prob have to assume you cannot pick it up anywhere along the trail (I don't recall seeing heet at Reds or MTR). I whole heartedly second suntan lotion.

Collin
08-28-2016, 14:20
Also, I would be leery of a stove you can't turn off out there even if it is allowed. You can have fires below certain elevations in each park you cross in pre-existing fire pits and it was so dry out there that I started my fires by literally just picking up a small twig and lighting one end of it on fire for 5 seconds. It is crazy dry out there. Not used to that from the east coast.