PDA

View Full Version : It's in the Bag!

Double Wide
06-09-2013, 09:36
Question for those of you who've completed a NOBO thru--

I've been reading tons of TrailJournals these past couple of months, and it seems that everyone switches out their winter gear around Pearisburg/Waynesboro or someplace else in southern Virginia. And it sounds like almost all of them change to a different sleeping bag.

Right now, I've got a 25 degree down bag which I really like, and it's kept me warm down to 17 degrees (in a tent, not a shelter), even without a liner. I was thinking of getting a liner, and *hoping* to go the entire trail without having to change out. Is this feasible? I don't really need a 40 degree bag for summer, do I? On the other hand, since I still have time, and an income, I've been considering getting a WM 15 degree Ponderosa bag instead--it would save me over a half a pound, which would also negate getting a lighter summer bag, at least as far as weight is concerned.

Anybody do the whole thing with one medium rated bag and a liner? Or does everyone just bite the bullet and cough up the $$$ for a second bag?

Slo-go'en
06-09-2013, 11:06
Well, try sleeping out in your yard for a few nights this summer when it get really hot out and decide if that 25* bag is too warm or not.

On a practical side, switching out to a summer bag will likely save you weight and bulk. The lighter you can get your summer "kit", the easier it is to carry it on those wicked hot and muggy days during mid summer, although you end up trading a lot of gear weight for extra water.

bigcranky
06-09-2013, 11:25
I've used my 30F WM Megalite all summer long for years, and finally bought a 45F quilt this year. The 30F bag is usable, don't get me wrong, but it's just not comfortable on the warmer nights for me.

If you get the Ponderosa (nice bag!), plan on getting a lighter quilt for the mid summer part of the hike, I expect you'll be glad you did.

max patch
06-09-2013, 11:31
I used a 20 degree bag the whole way. When its warm use it as a blanket. When its hot sleep on top of it.

But if money is no object and you've got someone back home who can mail packages for you then its always a good idea to save weight when you can do so safely.

BuckeyeBill
06-09-2013, 13:18
I use a Marmot Helium 15 dregg down bag for colder weaqther and will switch out to a Marmot 40 degree down bag for summer. I go from 34 oz to 21 oz.

Meriadoc
06-09-2013, 15:05
I used a 20 degree quilt through the summer too with no trouble. Some memorable nights were too hot to sleep even with no quilt at all. But I can't remember a time when the quilt was a problem. I just vented it until I was cool enough.

Definitely use it as a quilt/blanket instead of a bag on the warmer nights.

evyck da fleet
06-09-2013, 15:37
I carried a 15 degree bag and liner the whole way partially because I didn't want to buy a second bag and partially because I didn't want to rely on my support at home to be reliable. In the summer I slept in the liner and just used the bag as extra cushioning between me and the ground. Sometimes I slept with it open and pulled it over me if I woke up around 3 in the morning b/c it had gotten chilly.

BarFight
06-09-2013, 16:11
Well, on the other side of the question I absolutely roasted in my 20 degree bag and had to swap it out for a 40 degree in Virginia. When temps are in the 90's everyday it doesn't cool down much at night. Some people used fleece blankets from Wal-Mart, but they were cold some nights. I was happy enough with the summer bag, and I swapped it back for the warmer one in New Hampshire.

swjohnsey
06-09-2013, 17:56
I used a WM Highlite 35 degree bag the whole time without liner.

rusty bumper
06-10-2013, 08:59
I carried a Marmot Helium (15 deg/31 oz) all the way. Depending on the night-time temperature, I either slept with it fully zipped, partially zipped, or unzipped. On really warm nights, I slept on top of the bag.

RED-DOG
06-10-2013, 11:41
I carried a Mountain Harwear Lamina 32 ( NO LINER) on both my NOBO thru's, 06 & 2012, and I started FEB-14 on both, and i never was too Cold or too Hot, and the only thing i sent home on both thru's was my Fleece Gloves and Beenie kept everything else, but on my 96 Flip-Flop i did change every thing out at Pearisburg, to me changing stuff out was a BIG Hassle, (now I try to keep everything i start with ), your 25 degree bag would be fine without the liner, But it all depends what time of year you will be starting. and if you do change your winter stuff at Pearisburg you will need to get it back in Vermont, NH and ME is still chilly even in mid-summer.

Don H
06-10-2013, 17:33
I switched from a 20* Feathered Friends bag to a 32* Montbell UL SS in Parisburg, VA.
Always used a silk liner to help keep the bag clean, also used the liner when it was warm.
A bag with a full length zipper is more versatile allowing it to be opened and used as a quilt.

stranger
06-13-2013, 09:03
Question for those of you who've completed a NOBO thru--

I've been reading tons of TrailJournals these past couple of months, and it seems that everyone switches out their winter gear around Pearisburg/Waynesboro or someplace else in southern Virginia. And it sounds like almost all of them change to a different sleeping bag.

Right now, I've got a 25 degree down bag which I really like, and it's kept me warm down to 17 degrees (in a tent, not a shelter), even without a liner. I was thinking of getting a liner, and *hoping* to go the entire trail without having to change out. Is this feasible? I don't really need a 40 degree bag for summer, do I? On the other hand, since I still have time, and an income, I've been considering getting a WM 15 degree Ponderosa bag instead--it would save me over a half a pound, which would also negate getting a lighter summer bag, at least as far as weight is concerned.

Anybody do the whole thing with one medium rated bag and a liner? Or does everyone just bite the bullet and cough up the $$$ for a second bag?

I've never thru-hiked, but been through the change to different gear twice in southwest Virginia, and have hiked the mid-atlantic in summer. If it were me, I would leave in mid April with my 25 deg Western Mountaineering bag, depending on the weather, I would switch out to my 40 deg Western Mountaineering in Damascus or Atkins, then in Front Royal or Harpers Ferry drop to my 50 deg, super light bag...yes, 3 bags.

People who take one bag usually are cold in the beginning, hot in the middle, and carry a whole lotta extra weight along the way, doesn't make much sense to me. Two bags minimum I would say, just my two cents.

jeffmeh
06-13-2013, 10:30
My preference would be a 20deg down quilt, with more clothing insulation layers in the colder part of the season, and fewer when it is warmer. Vent the quilt as necessary and sleep on top of it when it is really hot.

Mfrenchy
06-13-2013, 10:41
I carried 15 degree Mountain Hardware Phantom the whole way. It only weighed 2 lbs and a few ounces. When it got hot I just pushed it to the side or draped it over me, there is no rule saying you have to be zipped up in the thing. My suggestion is get something warm enough for the cold start and light enough to carry the whole trip.

Dogwood
06-13-2013, 15:58
One bag AT NOBO kinda depends on start/finish dates, how you can amend your sleeping bag warmth, the bag/quilt temp rating, etc. On my AT 06 NOBO started mid Apr with a 15* Marmot Helium(05 version!) switched to a 35* WM Highlite in the middle states and after taking my hiking time switched back out to the Helium in NH for the last four wks or so to finish up in Oct. If I did it again I would roll with my new Enlightened Equipment 50* Prodigy in the middle states and Feathered Friends 20* Swallow UL in the beginning and possibly at the end. I would definitely be hiking a faster pace this time around though so might not require a 20* bag at the finish line and I would probably not start in mid Apr, probably earlier.