PDA

View Full Version : Arcadia NP Camping in July Bugs??

frisbeefreek
06-09-2013, 10:41
I'm taking my non-outdoor other to Arcadia around July 4th for a couple days of car camping. Does anyone know what the bugs/flies situation will be like at Blackwoods campground? I'm trying to judge whether I need to plan for at least one night in a motel to preserve our relationship.

When I thru-ed through Maine in mid-June, there were no bugs to speak of, but legends of vast swarms persist.

Thanks in advance--Frisbee

Water Rat
06-09-2013, 10:45
I am not too far from there... Currently, the mosquitoes and black flies are making their annual appearance. They have been rather active the past two weeks... Not sure how long they plan on staying this year.

Slo-go'en
06-09-2013, 10:54
Mosquitoes are always pretty thick along the coast that time of year. Along with families with sceaming and out of control kids...

frisbeefreek
06-09-2013, 12:27
Mosquitoes are always pretty thick along the coast that time of year. Along with families with sceaming and out of control kids...

Arcadia is a bucket list item for both of us. Once checked, we'll move to a more sedate location. Mosquitoes - thanks for the info.

johnnybgood
06-09-2013, 12:29
Acadia...no "R", has mosquitos during the summer as big as your thumb, so I was told by the ranger, when camping in Blackwoods during a cool June 2 years ago. The seawall campground should provide more of a breeze, however.

BirdBrain
06-09-2013, 20:39
Acadia...no "R", has mosquitos during the summer as big as your thumb, so I was told by the ranger, when camping in Blackwoods during a cool June 2 years ago. The seawall campground should provide more of a breeze, however.

I stay at Hadley's often. Never had an issue. Hike above the treeline and you will see no flying nuisances. My favorite in Sargent from any direction.

garlic08
06-10-2013, 15:00
I just travelled through there last July by bicycle. I don't remember any bug issues out of the ordinary near the coast. I was grateful for netting and repellent, but I easily kept sane. And no black files, at least. Maybe Mudhead will chime in soon--he lives there.

frisbeefreek
06-10-2013, 15:18
Things sound manageable. I've already got the DEET & netting packed. I'm the designated spider killer in our household, so my other half is going to just have to live with anything we encounter.

Water Rat
06-10-2013, 15:52
The mosquitoes have been nasty in the evenings... Today is the first day I have REALLY noticed the black flies being out. I have been outside trying to work on a painting project and they have been a tad bothersome. Hoping they have found a new hobby by the 4th of July. :D

Good luck and have fun on your camping trip!