PDA

View Full Version : Recently joined, WB first impressions

susiecruise
06-09-2013, 14:06
I really enjoy reading through all the posts. There are so many it is overwhelming so i stick to the topics in my comfort zone. Also, I am impressed at how long many of you have been part of this online community. And then I'm impressed at how many posts each of you have under your belt. I wonder how many, like me, escape the drudgery of being at work by checking into Whiteblaze when no one is looking over my shoulder. I like the overall positive attitude most have and am turned off when someone is obviously fishing for negative comments.

hikerboy57
06-09-2013, 14:08
I really enjoy reading through all the posts. There are so many it is overwhelming so i stick to the topics in my comfort zone. Also, I am impressed at how long many of you have been part of this online community. And then I'm impressed at how many posts each of you have under your belt. I wonder how many, like me, escape the drudgery of being at work by checking into Whiteblaze when no one is looking over my shoulder. I like the overall positive attitude most have and am turned off when someone is obviously fishing for negative comments.
welcome to the nuthouse.welcome to the community.
starbucks via is served in the cyber cafe

coach lou
06-09-2013, 14:14
9 to 5 is when I get my heavy posting in:D

Cookerhiker
06-09-2013, 14:20
Thanks for your constructive, objective, and even-handed feedback. It's highly useful for WB i.e. all of us to hear newcomers' impressions.

For my part, I've been retired for over 10 years, hence my frequent posting.

Rasty
06-09-2013, 14:23
Some like me get paid for the job not the hours so a little goofing off at work is OK. It just means that I get to work a little longer that day. Many days I will have two hours mid day with little to do but have meetings early and then later in the day.

ps - That is not VIA being served at the cafe

Deer Hunter
06-09-2013, 15:05

I check in as much as possible. I can always count on Whiteblaze for a pick-me -up, especially Hikerboy's cafe. Welcome to Whiteblaze!

ATSeamstress
06-09-2013, 15:26
With 47,000+ members you will get all kinds of personalities. But by far this is the best place to come to get information and get questions answered. I generally "search" first because often your topic has been discussed previously. If that doesn't work then by all means, start a thread. Whiteblaze has been an invaluable resource in planning my section hikes, and even in planning my own wedding!

rocketsocks
06-09-2013, 15:28
:welcomeI fish for fishin21975but on occasion do catch a fish...this one I didn't catch, at least not on this day. When I'm not a fishin, i'm a huntin, and when I'm not a huntin, i'm a trollin:)

rocketsocks
06-09-2013, 15:30
And when I'm not trollin, I'm a hikin....again welcome, it's a great place to get info and just hang!

Cookerhiker
06-09-2013, 15:34
With 47,000+ members you will get all kinds of personalities. But by far this is the best place to come to get information and get questions answered. I generally "search" first because often your topic has been discussed previously. If that doesn't work then by all means, start a thread. Whiteblaze has been an invaluable resource in planning my section hikes, and even in planning my own wedding!

Now I've heard everything!:D

atmilkman
06-09-2013, 16:00
Now I've heard everything!:D

I laughed and couldn't believe it either. Then I saw the pic in her gallery.

OzJacko
06-09-2013, 16:16
Some like me get paid for the job not the hours so a little goofing off at work is OK. It just means that I get to work a little longer that day. Many days I will have two hours mid day with little to do but have meetings early and then later in the day.

With the stuff served in the cafe it is best to treat it as a BYO establishment.;)

susiecruise
06-09-2013, 16:31

Your "search first' tip is a good one as I have found that many to most topics have been covered. I found WB while planning a hike on the SouthTaconic trail. I pulled up WB and read Another Kevin's Taconic/AT loop hike adventure.

HikerMom58
06-09-2013, 16:35
Hey susiecruise- Welcome!! We are like one big family here. We get annoyed with each other sometimes. Just like in any family. But we put the FUN in dysFUNctional! :banana

atraildreamer
06-09-2013, 16:58
Hey susiecruise- Welcome!! We are like one big family here. We get annoyed with each other sometimes. Just like in any family. But we put the FUN in dysFUNctional! :banana

...and we are always ready to help out a WB family member with good advice and good company (usually :eek:)...just don't ask for $$$! :D :banana

( OK, Rick (attroll) can ask, but he uses it to support the site.) :)

Welcome to WB Susie! :welcome

ATSeamstress
06-10-2013, 23:40
I laughed and couldn't believe it either. Then I saw the pic in her gallery.

It's true! We decided to elope and spend our honeymoon in Charleston, SC, even though neither of us had ever been there. I threw out a question in the "off-topic" forum and got some great suggestions that helped us find the perfect spot for our short and sweet ceremony.

rocketsocks
06-11-2013, 00:10
It's true! We decided to elope and spend our honeymoon in Charleston, SC, even though neither of us had ever been there. I threw out a question in the "off-topic" forum and got some great suggestions that helped us find the perfect spot for our short and sweet ceremony.Hey that's awesome...there also some good spots for leaping lovers, and notable places like Mistress Mountains, and divorce court cove.....ok I made up the cove one. :D...kidding...congrats love the picture.:)

Old Hiker
06-11-2013, 00:19
Hey that's awesome...there also some good spots for leaping lovers, and notable places like Mistress Mountains, and divorce court cove.....ok I made up the cove one. :D...kidding...congrats love the picture.:)

Should we mention Chunky Gal Trail?

rocketsocks
06-11-2013, 00:59
Should we mention Chunky Gal Trail?I love that trail....no skinny trails :sun

Sailing_Faith
06-11-2013, 01:03
Welcome.

(Insert clever comment with insightful, self-deprecating humorous twist.... Here).

rocketsocks
06-11-2013, 01:34
Welcome.

(Insert clever comment with insightful, self-deprecating humorous twist.... Here).

(there once was a man from the Caribbean.....who boat was the land he hiked in.....he said with a :D as he brought in the jib....If you want a sticker PM me) or somethin like that...

fix it for ya:)

Double Wide
06-11-2013, 08:16
Welcome!

Just a few quick tips and things to expect:

1) Never, and I mean NEVER, start a thread asking if doing Trail Magic is a good idea. It'll bring out all the grumps and killjoys. God forbid you spend your time and money brightening the day of cold, wet, and tired hikers.
2) Probably don't want to ask about cheese, either. It seems to be the dead horse of food topics
3) You may find that the term 'Hike Your Own Hike' is just a boilerplate disclaimer that some folks use before telling you what you're doing wrong and how their way is best. It's almost to the point of being a drinking game.
4) No matter how much you've pared down your gear, even getting your base weight down below 20 lbs, if you post a gear list, expect to be told that you're carrying too much weight.
5) While there is a lot of good info and great replies to be found here, pay particular attention to anything Rainman and Max Patch say. In my experience, they've given me the most useful and friendly advice in the past couple of years. And they've got more miles under their boots than I have in my car!
6) There may be a lot of chaff to sift through, but the wheat you find is golden. Don't let the bastards grind you down!
7) Planning and anticipation are fun, and this is a great place to get your 'trail fix' while stuck in your cube.
8) Check out the photo gallery--there are some excellent pictures to be found, and you can kill a whole rainy weekend just browsing there.
9) If you discover even the smallest hint or trick that works for you, share it with the rest of us!

Again, welcome!

atmilkman
06-11-2013, 08:36
It's true! We decided to elope and spend our honeymoon in Charleston, SC, even though neither of us had ever been there. I threw out a question in the "off-topic" forum and got some great suggestions that helped us find the perfect spot for our short and sweet ceremony.

That's pretty cool. I can't tell you how many barefoot in the sand weddings I have been to in FL. You both look very happy and looks like a really nice place you picked.

Drybones
06-11-2013, 08:37

I'm retired so I don't have as much time to post as those still working.

atmilkman
06-11-2013, 08:51

I remember when I used to go back to work just to get rested up for the next vacation/adventure.

coach lou
06-11-2013, 08:52
I remember when I used to go back to work just to get rested up for the next vacation/adventure.

I suffer the same problem!

FarmerChef
06-11-2013, 09:39
Thanks for the feedback! I have learned a tremendous amount from the folks here at WB and always count on them to give me great tips as we head out on our hikes. It has truly made for some of our best experiences on the trail. Plus it's always COOL to meet a fellow WBer on the trail. :D

susiecruise
06-11-2013, 12:31
Welcome!

1) Never, and I mean NEVER, start a thread asking if doing Trail Magic is a good idea. It'll bring out all the grumps and killjoys. God forbid you spend your time and money brightening the day of cold, wet, and tired hikers.
2) Probably don't want to ask about cheese, either. It seems to be the dead horse of food topics
3) You may find that the term 'Hike Your Own Hike' is just a boilerplate disclaimer that some folks use before telling you what you're doing wrong and how their way is best. It's almost to the point of being a drinking game.
4) No matter how much you've pared down your gear, even getting your base weight down below 20 lbs, if you post a gear list, expect to be told that you're carrying too much weight.
5) While there is a lot of good info and great replies to be found here, pay particular attention to anything Rainman and Max Patch say. In my experience, they've given me the most useful and friendly advice in the past couple of years. And they've got more miles under their boots than I have in my car!
6) There may be a lot of chaff to sift through, but the wheat you find is golden. Don't let the bastards grind you down!
7) Planning and anticipation are fun, and this is a great place to get your 'trail fix' while stuck in your cube.
8) Check out the photo gallery--there are some excellent pictures to be found, and you can kill a whole rainy weekend just browsing there.
9) If you discover even the smallest hint or trick that works for you, share it with the rest of us!

Again, welcome!

Thanks for the advice. There are so many forums, journals, galleries, etc that it will take a long time to get familiar with everything on this site. Yes, It is a good escape while stuck inside planning the next trip.

rocketsocks
06-11-2013, 19:30

No that's freaking funny.....PTP

...paid to post :D

Wise Old Owl
06-11-2013, 20:17
welcome to the nuthouse.welcome to the community.
starbucks via is served in the cyber cafe

Wow I could not say it better...

Another Kevin
06-11-2013, 20:57
Your "search first' tip is a good one as I have found that many to most topics have been covered. I found WB while planning a hike on the SouthTaconic trail. I pulled up WB and read Another Kevin's Taconic/AT loop hike adventure.

That one was 1azarus's idea. I was along for the ride, and bailed out halfway with a nasty case of bronchitis. He asked me along as navigator because the middle few miles were cross-country, linking up from the AT north of Everett through the Jug End preserve to the South Taconic. He's a much stronger hiker than I am, but I'm better at orienteering. Fortunately he was good natured about my slow pace.

coach lou
06-11-2013, 21:04
That one was 1azarus's idea. I was along for the ride, and bailed out halfway with a nasty case of bronchitis. He asked me along as navigator because the middle few miles were cross-country, linking up from the AT north of Everett through the Jug End preserve to the South Taconic. He's a much stronger hiker than I am, but I'm better at orienteering. Fortunately he was good natured about my slow pace.

Laz has to be, if he wants to hike with people........that man can motor!

Teacher & Snacktime
06-11-2013, 22:38
(there once was a man from the Caribbean.....who boat was the land he hiked in.....he said with a :D as he brought in the jib....If you want a sticker PM me) or somethin like that...

fix it for ya:)

Ok...that one was NOT your best effort. But you'd better not repeat the One Sock poems....you'll scare the newbie off!

HikerMom58
06-11-2013, 22:53
Ok...that one was NOT your best effort. But you'd better not repeat the One Sock poems....you'll scare the newbie off!

Ha ha!!!! True dat!! :)

Teacher & Snacktime
06-11-2013, 23:04
Welcome!

!

I can attest to this one!!!

Driver8
06-12-2013, 01:26
Thanks for your constructive, objective, and even-handed feedback. It's highly useful for WB i.e. all of us to hear newcomers' impressions.

Agreed. Welcome, Susie!

rocketsocks
06-12-2013, 04:16
Ok...that one was NOT your best effort. But you'd better not repeat the One Sock poems....you'll scare the newbie off!you're right...I was goin for self deprecating, but didn't want to sound to needy...
[and in his best east ender accent] do you think it worked?
never mind....it bombed:o

susiecruise
06-14-2013, 06:55
I thought that was a great hike idea. I may try it one of these days.