PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof Superhydrophobic Spray is now here at a store near you Next Week!

Wise Old Owl
06-09-2013, 20:12
Superhydrophobic clothing is nothing new.. I saw it in action on high end rain coats at the cutting edge of Men's Warehouse 15years ago, I have been waiting a very long time to add it to my big 4 = pack, jacket, Sleeping bag, shoes... Imagine everything totally water-resistant & water proof, welcome to SUPER HYDROPHOBIC! No more pack covers, no more thick gortex arguments... thing light weight polypro or

It's at Home Depot and I will be buying a few cans. AND its from Lancaster PA (Just around the corner)

Here are the video's the announcement and the company! See you at Home Depot...$20 bucks... best price ever....

Originally Published Jun 07, 2013 13:50
By CHAD UMBLE
Staff Writer
[email protected]

Rust-Oleum NeverWet, a silicon-based spray developed by Lancaster-based Ross Nanotechnology, will be sold nationally at Home Depot stores through an agreement with Rust-Oleum, the company announced this week.
The license agreement with the Rust-Oleum gives that company exclusive rights to sell the water-repelling product commercially in North America, according to Andrew Jones, president of Ross Nanotechnolgy, a subsidiary of Ross Technology Corp.
When sprayed on a variety of surfaces, NeverWet is designed to create a superhydrophobic barrier (http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/438712_When-these-guys-say-NeverWet-----they-mean-it.html), which repels water. Among other things, it can be used on metal, wood, masonry and aluminum as well as fabric, leather and canvas.
The kit, which will retail for $19.97, includes two spray cans — a base coat and a top coat — that can cover 10-to-15-square feet.
A store manager at the Home Depot in the Red Rose Commons on Fruitville Pike said a shipment of NeverWet is scheduled to be received Tuesday, June 11.
Ross Technology has its headquarters in the Conestoga Valley Industrial Park.

Read more: http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/858792_NeverWet-spray-to-be-sold-at-Home-Depot-after-Lancaster-firm-inks-deal-with-Rust-Oleum.html#ixzz2VlaOSZrz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7is6r6zXFDc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_4PShebMF4Y

HeartFire
06-09-2013, 21:01
So how toxic is it? both to the environment and item, How long does it last? repeated washings? wear and tear abrasion on clothing . otherwise looks interesting

Wise Old Owl
06-09-2013, 21:39
Oh I have no idea Heartfire, Honest! How it works is a sub layer and top layer repels the H2O electrons like a apposed magnet.. water simply is so apposed it cannot be absorbed into the material. It is a repel beyond a 30 degree angle (beads) and prevents water getting into the fabric at a molecular level. The spray adds lots of electrons to the fabric to repel water. There has to be something as a substrate to make it stick and hold ... washes will abrade the product and reduce the value.

This is not an environmental issue if you are unsure please PM me.

Rain Man
06-09-2013, 22:23
Not interested ... until it works on electronics, i.e., my smartphone and my camera. THEN I'll rush out to buy some. :)

Rain:sunMan

Flounder940
06-10-2013, 00:09
Rain Man, I think you may be interested. "I sprayed my iPhone with NeverWet, submerged it in a foot of water for 30 minutes, took it out and it was good to go," Jones said.

Read more: http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/438712_When-these-guys-say-NeverWet-----they-mean-it.html#ixzz2VmcCEAeG

BuckeyeBill
06-10-2013, 00:10
I wonder how this would work in conjunction with permathrin? which one would you apply first?

slow mind
06-10-2013, 00:28
I'm interested. If not for hiking than for my boat. A sail is asked to withstand years of the elements without care, this could well make that easier.

slow mind
06-10-2013, 00:29
*then

daddytwosticks
06-10-2013, 07:11
Will this product be stocked next to the dehydrated water? :)

Wise Old Owl
06-10-2013, 08:34
I wonder how this would work in conjunction with permathrin? which one would you apply first?

Depends on where you put the permathrin

The Ace
06-10-2013, 09:25
Will this product be stocked next to the dehydrated water? :)

It's stocked next to the Expialidocious.

da fungo
06-10-2013, 09:40
I'm interested. If not for hiking than for my boat. A sail is asked to withstand years of the elements without care, this could well make that easier.

Yabbut: At $20 for 10 - 15 square feet of coverage, you're going to use an awful lot of this stuff for even a small sail. Plus, since this is a surface treatment, you'd probably have to apply it to both sides of the trail.

But I think it would be great for packs - no carryi g and putti g on pack covers.

Rain Man
06-10-2013, 10:15
Rain Man, I think you may be interested. "I sprayed my iPhone with NeverWet, submerged it in a foot of water for 30 minutes, took it out and it was good to go," Jones said.

That article was dated August 2011, closing in on two years old, yet I'd say this product is not widely used on smart phones, nor do any smart phone vendors that I know of recommend it.

Something's up with that. I wouldn't spray it on my brand new smart phone, in other words. Maybe my old camera.

bfayer
06-10-2013, 10:54
That article was dated August 2011, closing in on two years old, yet I'd say this product is not widely used on smart phones, nor do any smart phone vendors that I know of recommend it.

Something's up with that. I wouldn't spray it on my brand new smart phone, in other words. Maybe my old camera.

Motorola is using a competing product of the same makeup on their phones at the factory.

The Never-wet innovation is with the application process, but the underlying waterproof nano technology is being used by multiple companies and is proven.

My understanding is it is not very abrasion resistant and will not stand up to chemicals or detergents. Motorola coats the inside of the phones so the limitations are not an issue.

It might make a pretty good coating for tent flys and other gear that doesn't get washed or see much abrasion.

Might even work on boots if reapplied periodically. I might give it a try.

Odd Man Out
06-10-2013, 15:16
It might make a pretty good coating for tent flys and other gear that doesn't get washed or see much abrasion.

Might even work on boots if reapplied periodically. I might give it a try.

Agree on the fly. But I would want to know about breathability before using on anything I wear. Otherwise it might be like wrapping yourself in plastic wrap. You'll get wet from the inside.

Feral Bill
06-10-2013, 15:25
Agree on the fly. But I would want to know about breathability before using on anything I wear. Otherwise it might be like wrapping yourself in plastic wrap. You'll get wet from the inside.
I believe it is suppose to coat the fibers within the fabric, not the fabric as a whole. I'm dubious about the longevity, though. I expect WOO will give a a full report as things develop.

Wise Old Owl
06-10-2013, 20:51
says its updated Updated Jun 07, 2013 15:35????

FB I am buying it and trying it!

just purchased an advanced order and free shipping to the house... YA

Downhill Trucker
06-11-2013, 05:58

+1

If it negates permethrin it limits its usage a lot.

Wise Old Owl
06-11-2013, 15:09
Honest I do not think so... a rainshell doesn't need permethrin if I was doing my tech pants the lower half would get permethrin for ticks. The upper front above the knee is were I get soaked...

look this is so cool and uber light - I can't understand why people wouldn't get excited... Waterproof clothing and Sleep system and no more pack covers... in fact its cheaper than a pack cover!

Feral Bill
06-11-2013, 15:17
What interests me is the potential for truly breathable rain wear. But I'll let WOO be the lab-owl.

Wise Old Owl
06-11-2013, 15:30
Now when I hoot - I won't be full of hot air.... :sun

Odd Man Out
06-11-2013, 17:18
What interests me is the potential for truly breathable rain wear. But I'll let WOO be the lab-owl.

Me too. Just don't tell PETA about the animal testing.

Dogwood
06-11-2013, 17:43
Nikwax and Grangers both make DWRs and WP sprays and wash in liquids. Both eventually wear off as I'm thinking this superhydrophobic spray will as well as decreasing breathabilty. I can see it possibly being sprayed on nylon or Dyneema packs and Tyvek ground cloths though. I already spray WP Grangers on my Dynema packs and it acts well but it does eventually wear off. I would be CAREFUL spraying this on tents and rain wear. I would test a sample first before you take the plunge and spray an entire piece of gear. Maybe this is product is different in some regards but when I used a spray silicone to SUPPOSEDLY WP my hunting boots it never truly WPed my boots and quickly wore off after only wearing the leather boots a few times.

bfayer
06-12-2013, 11:08
If this stuff is breathable, it would be great to be able to use it on an ultralight windshirt and pants as an alternative to rain great in warmer temps.

Even if it washes out with detergent, so what, how often do you need to wash your rain gear?

As stated earlier, packs too.

Dogwood
06-12-2013, 14:48
Two coats? Bottom coat and top coat. It's going to affect breathability. Might lasdt longer though than some other DWRs and WPers.

Mcnett's Revive X is a GOOD WPer and I know it's safe on pricey rain jackets.

leaftye
06-13-2013, 00:21
No one has tried it yet? I'll check my Home Depot tomorrow. I'm very anxious to try this out. I'm starting to get into building custom flashlights, and I think I'll use this to coat the driver and LED to give it an extra layer of protection against water damage.

As for camping gear, the tent fly is a no brainer. It'll be awesome for rain and dew to completely slide off so I can pack a dry tent in the morning. I might put them on my eyeglasses so windblown rain doesn't effectively make me blind. As for the rest, I'll have to weigh the benefits, cost and potential health risk. Cost is the biggest factor.

Kookork
06-13-2013, 00:58
There should definitely be some good usage for this material somewhere in industry but I doubt it will be beneficial for backpacking /hiking purposes . The reason is weight IMHO. Two spray of this material that covers 10-15 square feet is 500 gram(18 ounce)net weight.

I guess a solo tent ( like lightheart solo) has around 72 square feet fabric that needs to be covered by the spray( Judy may correct me if I am off here) so just the net added weight of the spray would be 72/15 * 18 OZ= 86 Oz

The tent is 27 Oz and the coat is 86 Oz!!!

I guess soaking wet solo tent may weight 5 to 10 Oz heavier than bone dry tent. So we are carrying around 86 Oz extra weight constantly to avoid 5 to Oz extra weight of wet tent(occasionally) or in summer rarely. Does not feel right to me for this purpose.

For smaller areas like a backpack : I guess a medium backpack has around 4 square feet area to cover. so the weight of the material will be 4/15 * 18 Oz= 4.7 Oz . It is almost heavier than many of the rain covers we can carry to make our packs rain proof.Same calculation goes for rain jacket ( too heavy )

For smaller areas like shoes it might work though if it does not affect breath ability of the shoes.

Feral Bill
06-13-2013, 01:10
There should definitely be some good usage for this material somewhere in industry but I doubt it will be beneficial for backpacking /hiking purposes . The reason is weight IMHO. Two spray of this material that covers 10-15 square feet is 500 gram(18 ounce)net weight.

I guess a solo tent ( like lightheart solo) has around 72 square feet fabric that needs to be covered by the spray( Judy may correct me if I am off here) so just the net added weight of the spray would be 72/15 * 18 OZ= 86 Oz

The tent is 27 Oz and the coat is 86 Oz!!!

I guess soaking wet solo tent may weight 5 to 10 Oz heavier than bone dry tent. So we are carrying around 86 Oz extra weight constantly to avoid 5 to Oz extra weight of wet tent(occasionally) or in summer rarely. Does not feel right to me for this purpose.

For smaller areas like a backpack : I guess a medium backpack has around 4 square feet area to cover. so the weight of the material will be 4/15 * 18 Oz= 4.7 Oz . It is almost heavier than many of the rain covers we can carry to make our packs rain proof.Same calculation goes for rain jacket ( too heavy )

For smaller areas like shoes it might work though if it does not affect breath ability of the shoes. I imagine most of the weight is in a vehicle that caries the active material, then evaporates.

leaftye
06-13-2013, 01:19
Yeah, I can't believe it'd add that much weight. It'd have to be incredibly dense not to totally change the character of what it's added to.

Swordpen
06-13-2013, 01:22
Boy, I wish they had something like this for UV protection.

The sun is so strong here, that 1/4 inch thick, (not width, thick), nylon straps: thicker than the ones you tie your tent to the bottom of a backpack.

Those nylon straps completely turn to powder, literally powder if you touch them, after 1.5 summers in AZ.

Wise Old Owl
06-13-2013, 01:48
Boy, I wish they had something like this for UV protection.

The sun is so strong here, that 1/4 inch thick, (not width, thick), nylon straps: thicker than the ones you tie your tent to the bottom of a backpack.

Those nylon straps completely turn to powder, literally powder if you touch them, after 1.5 summers in AZ.

Uh? Try this http://www.trek7.com/products/ray-bloc-uv-protection-for-all-fabrics

Wise Old Owl
06-13-2013, 01:52
Me too. Just don't tell PETA about the animal testing.

Peta? oh the stories I could tell... but won't

Odd Man Out
06-13-2013, 09:46
My wife just bought a cushion at Target to use on the patio furniture that has a Nano-Tex label. I haven't tested its waterproofness yet, but I can tell the fabric is very breathable. The company's web site certainly promotes it for outdoor use.

http://www.nanotex.com/applications/apparel_P11.html (click on the View Demonstration link).

Some pages specifically address applications for outdoor activities, durability, and breathability.

http://www.nanotex.com/applications/apparel_P9.html

q-tip
06-13-2013, 10:44
Anyone know if this is approved for Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags?????

leaftye
06-13-2013, 12:37
Anyone know if this is approved for Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags?????

Don't they already have a pretty good water resistant coating?

That does give me another idea though. I'll want to use this on my -40°F bag. It was made before all these fancy coatings, and could seriously benefit from this product...if it does what I think this product promises to do.

I'm trying to think what gear I can risk sacrificing. I think I'll try my Cabelas down vest. It's not water resistant at all, and it's cheap enough that I won't be too devastated if it's destroyed. It's not particularly light either, so it won't be a big deal if it gains a few ounces. I used this vest on a rainy day doing trail maintenance, and I sure had wished it was waterproof.

Wise Old Owl
06-13-2013, 12:57
Leafye - Now ya thinking like me!

Dogwood
06-13-2013, 15:06
I wouldn't spray it on any of my pricey WM down bags without first testing it on a sample. I would use Revive X first! Outdoor furniture seat cushions aren't designed for high aerobic activity, aren't made from down which likes to breathe a bit, and doesn't cost $400+.

leaftye
06-13-2013, 18:56
Has anyone even bought this yet? It's not at my closest Home Depot yet. I'll order it online soon.

I wouldn't spray it on any of my pricey WM down bags without first testing it on a sample.

Of course not. That's why I'm testing it on an inexpensive down vest. I might even go further and buy samples of various water resistant fabrics to give me a test. If I hadn't broken my last two sewing machines, I'd also sew up a down pillow and treat it with Neverwet to see if it does anything funny to the down under the fabric. Maybe I can glue a test pillow...

There's no reason to rush to apply this to expensive gear that could last a lifetime. I can wait to treat my -40°F bag. It's been around for a few decades. I'd like it to last at least a couple more.

rocketsocks
06-14-2013, 00:20
I'm just hopeing it will do a good job on my fleece conversion mittens, then I won't need overmits...to me that would be a boone.

Wise Old Owl
06-29-2013, 10:18
Well it arrived I have to take some shirts and spray them up I will get back to you all on how well it works.

leaftye
07-09-2013, 01:26
Update?

I just realized I have a bunch of DWR treatment that may now be nearly worthless.

Wise Old Owl
07-09-2013, 01:38
OH wow, I had full intentions of setting up on a non windy day and spraying a kayak, several shirts and a tyvek suit. my 7 day week was cut short with a eme call from my son to remove him from Columbus Ohio. 8-9 hours there and 9.5 coming back... So I will have to wait next week.

da fungo
07-25-2013, 13:53
According to this review:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2013/07/neverwet_review_the_water_repelling_spray_is_no_mi racle_product.html

This "amazing new product" is, to quote, a dud.

Feral Bill
07-25-2013, 14:11
According to this review:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2013/07/neverwet_review_the_water_repelling_spray_is_no_mi racle_product.html

This "amazing new product" is, to quote, a dud. Rats!!!!!!

Wise Old Owl
07-25-2013, 14:59
Interesting - I have not had a chance to test it...

I looked up the recommendations most folks are liking it...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-18-oz-NeverWet-Multi-Purpose-Spray-Kit-274232/204216476?mid=ssOlTM3iF|dc_mtid_8903alh25183_pcrid _34878380137_pkw_neverwet_pmt_e#customer_reviews

inspectorgene
07-25-2013, 16:57
Just don't make the mistake I did by spraying it on Black leather boots. They are now the color of blue pastel chalk...

jeffmeh
07-25-2013, 17:32
Just don't make the mistake I did by spraying it on Black leather boots. They are now the color of blue pastel chalk...

Now you will have to go out and get a spring ensemble to match. :)

inspectorgene
07-25-2013, 18:20
Now you will have to go out and get a spring ensemble to match. :)

Not that there's anything wrong with that...:)

Wise Old Owl
07-26-2013, 00:31
Awkward.... at best. Suggest Blue Suede.

q-tip
07-26-2013, 08:11
I have been following the Never Wet story for about a year. Seems like it does not perform as advertised. They used to say one spray, one coat, works on clothes, items...... I have found spray silicone on my tents has increased the water repellency by 100%....Yea for old technology...

leaftye
07-26-2013, 09:05
I'm hoping that they're coming out with a formulation for fabrics later. And maybe another version for electronics. This version only seems appropriate for rigid surfaces that experience no abrasion. It'll probably do very well for that. Unfortunately everything we carry is going to experience flexing or abrasion or both. It's too bad they still aren't communicating with customers, so we still have no idea what's going on. I'm glad I didn't rush out to buy this. Or maybe Rustoleum will communicate now. I'll try contacting them later to see if Rustoleum has improved their customer relations, which was bad enough that it'll be an improvement if someone picks up the phone and hangs up before I can get two words out.

Arsenul
07-27-2013, 00:36
It's at home depot now.

Dogwood
07-27-2013, 03:36
According to that review the stuff isn't as advertised. I knew it would affect breathabilty. Durability of the WPness was a big question mark from the start for me as well. I was also concerned about how the texture of an article might change, which according to the review certainly did change as well as the appearance(color) of what it was sprayed on. Then, the manufacturer has a problem saying what it's made from! These traits alone bring up too many red flags questioning whether I want to spray it on clothing, sleeping bag, tent, on a pack where it touches my body, etc. I'll stick with my Granger products. At least I know what the hell is in those and the consequences to my gear.

I wonder if what it's sprayed on changes the tactileness(stickiness as it relates to friction) of what it's sprayed on. I'm thinking specifically about spraying it on non WP trail runners to make them more WR but not changing the tactileness of the sole with the ground. I don't want a WR shoe that suddenly makes the sole slipperier or that is more prone to collecting and adhering dirt and grime.