PDA

View Full Version : What brand of shoes??

Doctortom
06-09-2013, 20:38
I just did about 55 miles in VA the AT. It was hot and humid. Not bad but my feet swelled up and made the hike miserable. I normally wear a 10.5 dress shoe, but for hiking I am using a size 12 Merrell Moab, with an insert for the sole, and mid weight smart wool socks. I am 66 and my feet swelled up more than I would have liked. Based on the above, I have two questions, 1) Can any one recommend a boot that has a wide toe box with a medium heel? It appears I need more room in the toe box to accommodate the swelling. 2) The swelling, is this indicative of something else or just a case of hot feet? Let me know. Really need advice on a good brand of shoes, mid height.

hikerboy57
06-09-2013, 20:52
I just did about 55 miles in VA the AT. It was hot and humid. Not bad but my feet swelled up and made the hike miserable. I normally wear a 10.5 dress shoe, but for hiking I am using a size 12 Merrell Moab, with an insert for the sole, and mid weight smart wool socks. I am 66 and my feet swelled up more than I would have liked. Based on the above, I have two questions, 1) Can any one recommend a boot that has a wide toe box with a medium heel? It appears I need more room in the toe box to accommodate the swelling. 2) The swelling, is this indicative of something else or just a case of hot feet? Let me know. Really need advice on a good brand of shoes, mid height.
keens have a wider toe box.targhees were my shoes till i switched to trail runners.

BirdBrain
06-09-2013, 20:54
I use New Balance. Made in Maine and come in 4E.

Trebor66
06-09-2013, 21:15
Another vote for the Keen's. They are the most comfortable hiking shoe I've found, largely because of the wider toe box.

The Ace
06-09-2013, 22:08
Have you tried the Merrill Moab's in a Wide? Worked for me. I liked the Targhees' toe box, but my heel would slip.

wornoutboots
06-09-2013, 22:11
Brooks Cascadia Trail Runners. They Protect, Breath & are as light as they come.

wornoutboots
06-09-2013, 22:11
Sorry I just noticed the "mid height'

Doctortom
06-10-2013, 10:21
How are the trail runners. I have thought about them but winder if they can support my feet with about a 30lb load. If os, any brands that stand out or ones that I should stay away from?

litefoot2000
06-10-2013, 14:44
I believe that I would address the swelling first and then worry about the shoes. You may be a candidate for compression socks. Weak vascular valves in the lower extremities are more than likely the cause of the swelling. Compression socks may help. I learned this from a very pretty nurse a few years ago.

Magic_Mack
06-10-2013, 16:20
Saloman 4D cosmic boots. Just like a pair of Nikes

chiefduffy
06-10-2013, 20:42
Lowas work for me. http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/search.cfm?search=hiking

susiecruise
06-11-2013, 12:54
I looked at three different sports stores and tried on dozens of boots. I went with Salewa and I am so glad! The most comfortable boot I've ever worn (also the ugliest boot I ever bought). The boots are good for wide feet because they have lacing right down to the toes so you can adjust them for downhill. Also they have a lot of good rubber that wraps around the front of the boot. When I bought mine I thought i may have gotten them too big but I found I needed the extra room for long steep declines and they come with an insert if needed. I LOVE my boots and you don't feel the same way you probably need new ones.

FarmerChef
06-11-2013, 14:30
I wear Merrill trail runners and love them. I am also a 3E and typically hike with a 35 pound load (max). The runners can bend and twist and "give" a bit where my foot is wider. And, of course, I buy mine at least 1.5 sizes too big knowing full well they will be "just right" at the end of each day. By the end of a 9 day hike I cannot fit back into my work shoes comfortably so I wear my racing flats to work for a few days instead. :eek:

jjchgo
06-11-2013, 16:55
Brooks Cascadia Trail Runners. They Protect, Breath & are as light as they come.

these or la sportive wildcats.

chiefiepoo
06-11-2013, 17:04
Keens have the wider toe box for sure. As to your other observation, something else might be revealed by a conversation with your Doc. Fluid build up or swelling from constant friction in your boot? Best to know if you have a medical condition needing attention of if a medication is having a side effect.

bigcranky
06-11-2013, 17:46
Honestly I think it might be worth mentioning to your doctor the next time you are there. I just got back from a week in central VA and it was hot -- very hot -- and my feet didn't swell that much, if atall. I wore very light Darn Tough wool quarter height socks and Inov8 Rocklite 315 trail runners. I did size up half a size and I'm glad I did, but that's a common suggestion for the Inov8 brand. The Inov8s were awesome -- light, lots of traction, very cool and breathable, but the nylon fabric kept my feet clean unlike my old mesh Salomon runners. (I don't like waterproof shoes except maybe in the winter.)

jtbradyl
06-11-2013, 22:03
I agree with the above. Your swelling is abnormal.