PDA

View Full Version : Food on the trail to hang or not to hang

JoeH
06-09-2013, 22:29
Just wondering what you guys or gals like to do in the trail, hang food or use a bear container? I normally hang food have never had a problem with an animal getting to my food (i don't use a steel leader like some have mentioned in the past). I met a old timer who uses a bear canister and he just finds a nook and places it in there and says its the best thing going.I have light weight gear so a pound or two wont hurt me just wondering.

The Ace
06-09-2013, 23:06
Assuming you mean the AT, I do three things:
1) I avoid generating any bear attracting odors in my tent or at my campsite.
2) At night I put my food and hygiene kit in an odor proof bag (odor-resistant for those who like to argue parts per million) and then in a Zpacks cuben fiber roll top bag and sleep with it in my tent.
3) If a bear approaches my campsite I run it off and go back to sleep.

ChinMusic
06-09-2013, 23:55
Food bag = pillow

JoeH
06-10-2013, 00:02
Ok I may just be overly paranoid, I cook and clean away from camp I would never feel safe keeping food in the tent/hammock.

OzJacko
06-10-2013, 00:20
Ok I may just be overly paranoid, I cook and clean away from camp I would never feel safe keeping food in the tent/hammock.
Don't feel safe leaving it anywhere else...

It's all personal choice.

Bronk
06-10-2013, 01:25

Statistically, you're probably more likely to have a human steal your food bag hanging in a tree than you are to be attacked by a bear while the food bag is in your tent.

Lone Wolf
06-10-2013, 06:46
i sleep with my food in the tent and cook in the vestibule quite often. works for me

RED-DOG
06-10-2013, 06:58
Depends If I sleep in my tent i sleep with it, but if i stay at a shelter i do hang it, by using the P.C.T method.