PDA

View Full Version : AT access from Killington Ski Resort

cjbroderson
06-10-2013, 07:30
Can you access the AT from the top of the mountain at Killington Ski Resort? Lark

Cookerhiker
06-10-2013, 07:34
Can you access the AT from the top of the mountain at Killington Ski Resort? Lark

Yes - I was just there last October going the opposite i.e. I hiked up Killington and wanted to access the ski resort. Just south (no more than a few hundred feet) from Cooper Lodge on the AT was a side trail to the Killington summit. From there, another side trail lead to the cable car terminus. And I believe there's another trail directly between the cable car terminus and Cooper Lodge i.e. avoiding the summit.

peakbagger
06-10-2013, 08:54
Used to be a popular option for folks staying at the AT shelter to go up for drinks at the bar at the summit and watch sunset.

VT-Mike
06-10-2013, 09:30
The summit lodge has been torn down to make way for new one being built. Still a good sunset though!

kidchill
06-10-2013, 18:07
I would say yes. There's a summit trail directly from the AT/Long Trail. I can't remember the name of the shelter, but the summit trail shoots off directly behind it.

joshuasdad
06-10-2013, 18:52
Yes - I was just there last October going the opposite i.e. I hiked up Killington and wanted to access the ski resort. Just south (no more than a few hundred feet) from Cooper Lodge on the AT was a side trail to the Killington summit. From there, another side trail lead to the cable car terminus. And I believe there's another trail directly between the cable car terminus and Cooper Lodge i.e. avoiding the summit.

The trail between the cable car and Cooper lodge is not marked as of Thanksgiving 2011, but I asked for directions, and found a way to it. Had a bit more difficulty getting from the trail back to the lift a couple of days later, but ended up on a ski trail and was able to walk to the lift on it. Summit Trail from lift was closed because of ice.

Cookerhiker
06-10-2013, 19:40
I would say yes. There's a summit trail directly from the AT/Long Trail. I can't remember the name of the shelter, but the summit trail shoots off directly behind it.

See below.

fiddlehead
06-10-2013, 20:39
If you look at google earth, you can see that the trail is really close to the juggernaut ski trail at a huge switchback of the ski slope (an easy green from what I remember)
Although not easy to bushwhack in new england, I would attempt it, heading due east from that switchback.
Anyway, I realize bushwhacking in those mountains is not for everyone.
But it would add more adventure to your hike.