PDA

View Full Version : mud in Vermont this year-- It's gonna be somethin else!

DavidNH
06-10-2013, 08:45
This is a heads up for nobos who will be hiking through Vermont Any time starting now and for the next month plus.. man have you got some kind a mud to tramp through!

Southern Vermont is muddy even in the best of times (they don't call it Vermud for nothin'!). But this year.. there's been a lot of rain.. more rain coming this week. OK I haven't been to Vermont yet this year but I live just an hour to the east.. two hours east of the Long Trail.

Perhaps in coming weeks the weather pattern will change and things will dry up but no sign of that yet.

I'd be interested to hear from any one who has hiked in Vermont (especially south of route 4 and south of route 11) so far this year. How bad was the mud? I have to imagine that bug season there also is still in full swing.

DavidNH.

Reminder for hikers.. when you hit a muddle puddle.. you should walk through it not around it. Otherwise the mud puddle just gets larger for the next hikers. I know.. easy for me to say sitting at home nice and dry.

Deadeye
06-10-2013, 08:47
It's not supposed to rain this Thursday... plan your daily mileage accordingly!

DavidNH
06-10-2013, 09:16
yeah but it will rain today, tonight, tomorrow and parts of Wednesday. Plus it rained a good bit in the last couple weeks. Plus it snowed several inches in the mountains on memorial day weekend. Nothing can dry when water keeps comin!

Slo-go'en
06-10-2013, 09:57
While I was hiking down in NC/TN, rumour had it that it was the coldest and 3d wettest spring on record. Might be the 2nd wettest by now. There was pleanty of mud to walk through down south. The section between 19E and Kincora was really bad.

I haven't been in the woods up here yet since I've been home, but the rivers and streams look to still be running very high. I bet trying to ford the rivers in the 100 mile wilderness right about now would be a terrifying experiance!

Malto
06-10-2013, 10:37
I hiked from Manchester into Mass four weeks ago and it was fine. It rained all day Saturday and even with the rain there were some patches of mud but nothing noteworthy.

BarFight
06-10-2013, 17:02
This spring was actually incredibly dry here. The traditional mud season probably only lasted a week, as there wasn't that much snow by the end of winter and then it didn't rain for six weeks. It's only started raining since about memorial day. I suppose it could be muddy out on the Long Trail but the local trails are okay. Bugs are starting to come out, which is more of a concern for me...

R1ma
06-10-2013, 19:36
The day after Memorial Day, I did 15 miles up to US-4 over Killington from Shrewsbury.

Wasn't foot-eating muddy, but it was ankle deep in places.

StealthHikerBoy
06-11-2013, 05:46
Anyone been on the LT section near Mansfield and Camel's Hump recently? I am planning on being there next week, and would like to know what to expect mud wise. If it is really bad, I might find another place to hike. Thanks!