PDA

View Full Version : info on trail starting at otter creek road to shelter

rsims
06-10-2013, 11:34
my son and 2 friends are planning to hike from otter creek road (near noc) to the shelter going the opposite direction of the fire tower. would appreciate any info. distance to shelter, water sources, difficulty of hike. they are planning on camping at the shelter and hiking back to vehicle the next day. thanks

moldy
06-10-2013, 17:35
You will have to pick a direction either North or South on the Appalachian Trail. The term "opposite from the fire tower" won't cut it. If you are in fact hiking from Otter Creek Road to or in the direction of the NOC the direction is North and the shelter is Wesser Bald Shelter. Water source is good once you get up to it. Lots of campsites all around the west side of the gap.

I highly recommend catching a sunset on the tower! I ran up the grueling 1/2 mile after dinner just in time to see the day's last light falling over Albert, Wayah, Wesser, Cheoha, Rocky Top, Thunderhead, Clingman's... That's a week's worth of walking all in one lovely view. You'll definitely feel pretty smug and satisfied when you make your way back down to camp. Great spot.

rsims
06-10-2013, 17:56
so sorry. then they would be going south.

moldy
06-10-2013, 20:44
Should be an easy enough hike of only 3 or 4 miles. You will be climbing up less than 1500 feet. That shelter is the Cold Springs Shelter and it is listed as "under repair" by the ATC. So if you plan to sleep in the shelter it probably won't be useable.(ie no roof or no floor) It needed a good overhaul for a long time. The best campsites nearby are just above the shelter. There will be plenty of cold water.

rsims
06-10-2013, 21:29
thanks so much for the info.

daddytwosticks
06-11-2013, 07:22
Should be an easy enough hike of only 3 or 4 miles. You will be climbing up less than 1500 feet. That shelter is the Cold Springs Shelter and it is listed as "under repair" by the ATC. So if you plan to sleep in the shelter it probably won't be useable.(ie no roof or no floor) It needed a good overhaul for a long time. The best campsites nearby are just above the shelter. There will be plenty of cold water. I spent Saturday night of this Memorial Day weekend at Cold Springs Shelter. It is fully rennovated and "open for business". There was still some building material stored/strewn about the shelter area. Don't know if they were going to be doing any other improvements (extra tables/rennovation of privy/etc.). They did a great job on the shelter. Still no bear cables there and, as stated, great spring water right from the ground. :)