PDA

View Full Version : Bennington, Vermont

Jack Tarlin
07-20-2005, 13:21
Just wanted to mention that I was in Bennington, Vermont last night and attended a wonderful hiker dinner sponsored by the very friendly folks who run Nature's Closet, a very cool outdoor store located in the center of town. Owner Steve and manager Brendan were great, as was the food, provided by two hiker-friendly restaurants, the South St. Cafe and the Rattlesnake Cafe.

A very good time was had by all, including the thirty-odd thru-hikers in attendance, many of them Southbounders, for whom this was probably the first sort of larger-scale Trail Magic they'd experienced.

All in all, a really nice evening......Bennington is turning into quite a hiker-friendly town (not that it ever wasn't) and I hope more folks will plan on visiting there in the future.

Anyone who thinks Vermont is a little skimpy on hiker services, friendliness, etc., has obviously never been to Bennington. Cool little town, very friendly people, and I think it'll only get better in years to come.

Sly
07-20-2005, 13:30
I'm sure I would have enjoyed Bennington, but it's what, only a day from Mass. and the last resupply?

Maybe next time. How's the hitch?

Jack Tarlin
07-20-2005, 13:41
It's a good 18-odd miles from Mass. Rt. 2 (The Williamstown/North Adams Road) and most folks take more than one day to do these miles. The hitch is very easy as Vermonters tend to stop for hikers more than just about anyone else. (Bennington is also a good re-supply/rest place for folks who've re-supplied in Dalton or Cheshire and skip Williamstown/North Adams).

Footslogger
07-20-2005, 13:47
It's a good 18-odd miles from Mass. Rt. 2 (The Williamstown/North Adams Road) and most folks take more than one day to do these miles. The hitch is very easy as Vermonters tend to stop for hikers more than just about anyone else. (Bennington is also a good re-supply/rest place for folks who've re-supplied in Dalton or Cheshire and skip Williamstown/North Adams).==========================
Yeah ...that was my situation in 2003. Resupplied in Dalton and Bennington made a nice 4 day food bag interval. I got in late that day though and didn't see much. BlueJay was sitting/talking to some hikers when I walked out of the woods and dropped me at the Knotty Pine. The little market was closed so I got a taxi out to the Food Lion. Hiked out early the next morning. Wish I could have seen more of the town.

'Slogger