PDA

View Full Version : Pinkam Notch to Gorham - finishing the AT on or near Carter Notch

singing wind
06-10-2013, 16:33
Hello - making plans to complete the AT on or near Carter. I seem to recall there is a gondola service up one of the mountains. Ideally I'd like to hike in from Gorham and take the gondola down, then hike in from Pinkham Notch, and finish the AT - finally after 40+ years! - on a mountain top. Does anyone know anything about the area, ie where it would be safe to park, does the gondola exist/is it still running, best ways to hike this section, etc. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

singing wind
06-10-2013, 16:38
Looks like the gondola is for Wildcat. Has anyone used it to access the AT?

Slo-go'en
06-10-2013, 16:44
The Gondola does terminate at one of the summits and the AT goes right by it. I belive there is a zip line on Wildcat now too, so that would be a more exciting way to go back down :)

SNAX
06-10-2013, 16:52
In the summer, there is indeed a gondola on Wildcat D (in the winter it converts to a quad chair.) There is plenty of parking at the Wildcat base area in Pinkham Notch, and if you stop at the base lodge and pre pay, you could take the one way trip down. There's is also parking at the AT in Pinkham Notch proper.

"D Peak" would be a fine place to celebrate such an accomplishment, as there is an observation deck at the summit offering fantastic views of the ravines on Mt Washington's east side. Wildcats zip rider does not run from the summit, but much lower down on the mountain. So taking that down isn't an option.

SNAX
06-10-2013, 16:54
And if you have to start at NH Rt 2 to finish that section, there is a parking area there as well.

peakbagger
06-10-2013, 17:22
Its nice walk down the ski trails from the summit. There is couple of good grassy spots and some decks. There is a webcam at near the top which you can see at this link

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/cam/ravines/

If you have any non hiking folks its a good spot to meet people who take the gondola up. There is no shelter anymore to speak of since they tore down the old Gondola building. One minor caveat is that the hike up Carter from the Pinkham notch via the AT is very steep with several rock scrambles and is quite difficult when wet. Then again hiking in from Gorham you will also to get to climb up the North Carter which is also quite steep and slippery. Some thru hikers in good shape slack the entire stretch from Gorham to Pinkham but its a long day. Gorham to Carter Notch hut is doable by many and the hut is located in a nice location. It isn't cheap and reservations are required. The hike up from the Hut to the Wildcat summit is about 4 to 5 hours.

Kerosene
06-10-2013, 17:36
I was surprised to learn that the gondola only ran on weekends in the Fall. Here's the website (http://www.skiwildcat.com/mountain-facts.html) with the hours of operation as follows:

Spring Hours: Open Weekends Only, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. (May 25, including Memorial Day Monday - June 9, 2013)
Summer Hours: Open Daily, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. (June 15 - September 2, 2013)
Fall Hours: Open Weekends Only, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. (September 7 - October 14, 2013)

singing wind
06-10-2013, 17:49
Very, very cool...and thanks so much to everyone for the info and suggestions! I am so looking forward to finishing this trail! :)