PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hike 2013

hikingshoes
06-10-2013, 17:06
I'm working on connecting what sections of the "AT" I haven't hiked so here the section I need to connect.
Start at : Deep Gap - I40 = 154.6 miles
Hot Springs - Iron Mtn.Gap = 88.2 miles
Roan Mtn,Tn - Mtn. katahdin = 1796.3 miles
Total miles left to hike : 2,039.1 miles
If I leave next month could I finish in time to summit Mtn.Katahdin?

tawa
06-10-2013, 17:47
Why not just get to Katahdin in the next few weeks and just take off and make it to Springer by Dec 1st. Since u still need to hike most of the trail--just get in with the SOBO's from the start and just keep walking.

hikingshoes
06-10-2013, 17:57
lol, it's funny you say this because i have a Friend whos's thru-hike 2x NOBO. He ask me if i would like to start with him next month on a SOBO. i would love to but he pushing 20+miles, I'm not up to that right now. I'm got at 8-10miles right now.

Datto
06-10-2013, 19:23
Option 1 -- If I were you, I'd start south from Katahdin -- just do the pace in the beginning while heading south that comes natural to you (the terrain and treadway a southbounder faces is quite challenging right out of the gate so take it easy until you get your trail legs). Don't try to jump around the sections you've already done -- just do the whole thing, Katahdin to Springer, start to finish southbound. Also, make sure you carry a no-see-um headnet and long sleeves so the bugs don't drive you bananas (it'll stop a few of the biting flies from being able to get to you). You will need your warm weather gear somewhere as early as Waynesboro/Perrisburg, VA or as late as Damascus, VA, on this route.

Option 2 -- The other good option is to start at Harpers Ferry and head north to Katahdin hiking with the early arrivals to Harpers Ferry that are thru-hikers heading north from Springer (the terrain will be easier for you starting and coming north out of Harpers Ferry (but not exactly easy)) and that will allow you to groove into getting your trail legs on your way to Katahdin). When you reach Katahdin, come back to Harpers Ferry and head south to Springer Mountain (make sure you pick up your warm weather gear at Waynesboro/Perrisburg (early) or Damascus (late). By that time you'll already have been outdoors so much you'll know what to do and when to do it. Also, don't work around the sections you've already done -- just do the whole Appalachian Trail in its entirety. If you choose to take this route, for comparisons sake, keep in mind that a northbound thru-hiker who started at Springer will likely do the mileage between US 30, Pennsylvania and Ironmaster's Hostel in Pennsylvania (this stretch is about 100 miles north of your starting point) in seven hours (that was my pace on my northbound AT thru-hike and I wasn't a terribly fast hiker -- had The Temptations that day). You won't likely be able to sustain that kind of pace until Connecticut at least, even on easier terrain, without increasing your chances for some type of injury. Let you legs get used to the Trail before you even think of starting to bust out 20 mile days.

Datto

Datto
06-10-2013, 19:31
Option 3 -- Pick up the AT in Waynesboro, VA and head north to Katahdin, then come back to Waynesboro, VA and head south to Springer Mountain, GA. This will also get you started out on somewhat easier terrain (not easy, just easier) heading north an gets you on the Trail earlier and making miles soon.

Datto

Datto
06-10-2013, 20:17
who started at Springer will likely do the mileage between US 30, Pennsylvania and Ironmaster's Hostel in Pennsylvania (this stretch is about 100 miles north of your starting point) in seven hours (that was my pace on my northbound AT thru-hike and I wasn't a terribly fast hiker -- had The Temptations that day). Datto

Here's what an AT thru-hiker looks like coming out of Ironmaster's Hostel:

Datto

hikingshoes
06-10-2013, 22:29
Datto thanks for the input. I'm still looking at options, and still touching base with my friend as well. I enjoy hiking with my friend but on the other hand I don't want to hold him up . HS