PDA

View Full Version : late SoBo thu hike?

matmac
07-20-2005, 13:51
I am entertaining the idea of a mid Aug SOBO thru hike. I like to hike fast and light and have thru hiked the PCT. I enjoy the challenge of doing the entire trail at one time. Being from the west coast I am not too familiar with the weather along the AT during this time frame. I have read that people finish hikes in december but what kind of conditions might I expect? Is the trail even passable in the southern portions in late fall early winter? Does snow stick on the ground leaving navigation dificult? will there be other people on similar schedule on the trail?

The Solemates
07-20-2005, 14:17
I am entertaining the idea of a mid Aug SOBO thru hike. I like to hike fast and light and have thru hiked the PCT. I enjoy the challenge of doing the entire trail at one time. Being from the west coast I am not too familiar with the weather along the AT during this time frame. I have read that people finish hikes in december but what kind of conditions might I expect? Is the trail even passable in the southern portions in late fall early winter? Does snow stick on the ground leaving navigation dificult? will there be other people on similar schedule on the trail?

there likely wont be many others on the trail at that time, but if you are a fast and light hiker then you will certainly catch up to the slow SOBOs. you should have no problem with the weather in the south in december; the first snows dont fall until mid-december and even then they dont amount to much. the only place where you may see significant snowfall (less than 2 feet) would be perhaps mt rogers or the smokies.

Yahtzee
07-20-2005, 14:28
Dude, go for it. In '01, the Irieites were attempting the Triple Crown in one year. They left Katahdin sometime in ~Oct 10. I met them in Duncannon ~Christmas and they said they had beautiful weather all through Nov. My guess is that a late Aug start with a moderate to good pace, you may be able to make Springer without any significant snowfall. Except for the Smokies. They'll be cold.
Good luck!

Sly
07-20-2005, 15:18
Dude, go for it. In '01, the Irieites were attempting the Triple Crown in one year.

the Irieites? Who are they? Do you mean Fiddlehead, Piepes and Shirt?

rickb
07-20-2005, 15:38
"but what kind of conditions might I expect?"

Short days.

:sun

A-Train
07-20-2005, 15:41
I talked for a long while with Torch, who SOBOed last year. He left July 10th I believe and finished on NEW years Eve. He said he barely saw or hiked with others since he was at the back of the pack of Sobo's. Sounded like he had a great hike. He did however say the weather in the Smokies was really tough, having zero degree nights and a couple feet of snow. He had severe hypothermea a few times in the Smokies and said leaving Hot Springs it was 5 degrees out.

Totally doable in my mind, and sounds fun. The south should be great in november. You'll be able to get thru the Whites by mid-september before it gets pretty dangerous, thought even then you'll have a couple cold nights.

Heater
07-20-2005, 16:17
Wouldn't it be a good idea to hike SOBO to Harper's Ferry then flip flop to Springer NOBO?

Yahtzee
07-20-2005, 16:24
Indeed, it was Fiddlehead, Peeps, and Shirt. Saw them right out of Monson on there third or fourth day and then SOBO's near them for a few days. Great guys who know what the hiking is all about.

Sly
07-20-2005, 16:48
Indeed, it was Fiddlehead, Peeps, and Shirt. .... Great guys who know what the hiking is all about.

LOL... They don't call themselves "do-badders" for nothin'. I had the pleasure of being a Team Triple Crown driver for a week in the south, from Kincora to Hot Springs.

TakeABreak
07-20-2005, 17:39
The weather can be mild (relatively speaking that is, for that time of the year) but it can also get pretty nippy, in 2000, I was living near Franklin, NC. I got cold in mid-October and stayed pretty nippy most of the winter, Siler's Bald was covered with snow in December.

My advise start out with gear needed for August in Maine and have good winter gear ready available that can be shipped to you as needed. It has been abnormally warm throughout most of the country this summer, the mildness could linger through the winter or it could do a complete reversal and be a real nasty winter.

In late December of 99 & 00, I ran into sobo thru hiker's near Deep Gap Shelter (US 76, Hiawassee area). Some said they had warm sunny days in the smokies and two days later a foot of snow. I have hiked parts of the smokies several different years in december and alway's carry 4 point cramon's, ice tends to build up on the north side of the mountains in the trail ruts and stay for weeks. Especially near the New Found Gap area north to Charlie's Bunion. Also, some of the ascents can be icy, it is better to be prepared. Then again there have been times to where there wasn't any ice at all, where I hiked in that area in december.

Bluegrass
07-20-2005, 17:50
For what it is worth, I am starting my SOBO this Monday (25 July 2005). My end date is Thanksgiving (I get off the trail in time to get home whether I am finished or not).

I am planning on some colder weather through the Smokies, but decent weather otherwise.

thestin
07-20-2005, 18:42
Check out Felix's site. He started in early August a few years back.
http://felixhikes.tripod.com/

FWIW, if I ever get a chance to thru-hike, I plan to leave in August SOBO

TJ aka Teej
07-20-2005, 18:44
Welcome, matmac! Late starting MEGAs are well advised to try to be south of Mt Washington by October 1st. A good measure of where AT hikers are when can be found at Steve the Ferryman's website. He collects data on the hikers he paddles across the Kennebec, and here's the count for 2004 southbounders:
http://www.riversandtrails.com/2004kennebecferry.html (http://www.riversandtrails.com/2004kennebecferry.html)
May 0
June 75
July 63
August 18
September 7
October 0
Four southbound LD hikers left Baxter over the weekend.