PDA

View Full Version : naysayers corner

hikerboy57
06-10-2013, 19:45
i wanted to start a thread about naysayers. i think we should have our own forum. you know , the ones who say its impossible to thru hike
unsupported in just 22 days. what do you feel or the most naysayed subjects on wb?
conversely , why not post your boast. i mean who says it cant be done?
or tell us about one of your favorite boasts here on wb.

atmilkman
06-10-2013, 19:49
No, no, no, no, no.

kayak karl
06-10-2013, 19:49
i think someone will always say it can't be done no matter what it is you say can be done even if the person that says it can be done has never done it.

hikerboy57
06-10-2013, 19:52
i think someone will always say it can't be done no matter what it is you say can be done even if the person that says it can be done has never done it.
well done, sir

Rasty
06-10-2013, 19:59
This thread will never make it.

Drybones
06-10-2013, 20:00
The Cybe Cafe wont last a week and get 10 views.

Malto
06-10-2013, 20:00
Have to say my favorite is........ I have never backpacked before, a guy at a bar told me about Andrew Skurkas website. I see that he can do 40 mile days and he is much older than me. I have youth in my favor, just turned 21 so I think I should easily be able to do 45 mile days. I did an excel spreadsheet and using 4.0mph I figure I can hike for 12 hours a day making 48 per day. I'm being conservative and only assuming 45. That is good because normally I sleep in until 9am and I doubt I will get started before 10. No big deal because I can just hike until 10pm.

I'm not planning any zeros, I because skurka doesn't need them and I only have $1000 to complete my hike. Shouldn't be a problem because the guy at the bar said there is food served at nearly every road crossing. I don't figure I have to pack much food. I am also a vegetarian and will be able to forage the forest and collect plants and berries to cover any food needs not covered by trail angel feeds.

I plan to start January 1st from Springer because I hate the heat. I have never hiked in the snow but I once built a snowman. My biggest concern is that I am 70lbs overweight and may sink into the snow too much. But on the bright side, I won't have to take any warm clothes since I have natural insulation.

on the gear front, I have an old four person tent, an old Kelty external frame pack and a full size Coleman airman complete with the pump. How many sets of 4 d batteries will I have to carry to complete my hike?

I have given this a lot of thought over the last couple of days? Is there any else I haven't thought of that will allow me to increase my average mileage over 50mpd?

Water Rat
06-10-2013, 20:01
i wanted to start a thread about naysayers. i think they should have their own forum. you know , the ones who say its impossible to thru hike
unsupported in just 22 days. what do you feel or the most naysayed subjects on wb?

You're doing it wrong! :D

Sarcasm the elf
06-10-2013, 20:01
Oh good! I was in the mood to B*tch about a past experience while reading the latest trail angel post, but then decided it wasn't appropriate or fair to the person thst started that thead. I had already cancelled my comment and then moved on when I saw this thread. In what turned out to be a fortuitous moment I realized that my whole rant was still saved to my clipboard!

Here is my rant that had no constructive purpose in the other thread, pasted verbatim:

"As a section hiker I've actually had a couple of negative experiences with "trail magic," situations where the presence of supposed "trail angels" have actually made my day worse and as a result of this I am now in the habit of passing by strangers offering assistance. The worst was when supposed trail angels have approached as i was hiking causing me to stop and chat, however as soon as I state that I'm a section hiker their demeanor immediately changed and they made clear that their help was "thru hiker only". What really angered me about these situations wasn't that I missed out on what they were offering, it was that they went out of their way to stop me on the trail, talk to me and then inform me that I wasn't worth their time because I wasn't one of the cool kids.

I guess the reason that I'm writing this is to say that if you so choose to trail angel make sure to play nice. "

Thanks all, I feel better now :)

Oh, and in keeping with the thread: NAY!:p

hikerboy57
06-10-2013, 20:08
The Cybe Cafe wont last a week and get 10 views.
in the next month we'll have more posts than all of trailplace

Wise Old Owl
06-10-2013, 20:09
Ya doing it all wrong!

Pedaling Fool
06-10-2013, 20:18
I'm sick of all the naysayers that scoff at the notion of a space station on the moon and beyond.

HikerMom58
06-10-2013, 20:18
Oh good! I was in the mood to B*tch about a past experience while reading the latest trail angel post, but then decided it wasn't appropriate or fair to the person thst started that thead. I had already cancelled my comment and then moved on when I saw this thread. In what turned out to be a fortuitous moment I realized that my whole rant was still saved to my clipboard!

Here is my rant that had no constructive purpose in the other thread, pasted verbatim:

"

Oh yes, you see those trail angels were doing it all wrong!! Shame, Shame on them!! I think those trail angels should be tied to a tree and flogged.

I really don't agree with them at all- seriously.

And while we are at it we should tell the 14 year old girl (chipmunk) that she isn't hiking RIGHT, just like the ones that told Rasty he wasn't hiking RIGHT. It's just NOT RIGHT!

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj7-14yearold-attempts-record-on-the-appalachian-trail-20130610,0,2317664.story

hikerboy57
06-10-2013, 20:20
I'm sick of all the naysayers that scoff at the notion of a space station on the moon and beyond.
we still havent finished saving this world. we dont need to spread this love to other worlds yet.
NAY!!

Rasty
06-10-2013, 20:23

"As a section hiker I've actually had a couple of negative experiences with "trail magic," situations where the presence of supposed "trail angels" have actually made my day worse and as a result of this I am now in the habit of passing by strangers offering assistance. The worst was when supposed trail angels have approached as i was hiking causing me to stop and chat, however as soon as I state that I'm a section hiker their demeanor immediately changed and they made clear that their help was "thru hiker only". What really angered me about these situations wasn't that I missed out on what they were offering, it was that they went out of their way to stop me on the trail, talk to me and then inform me that I wasn't worth their time because I wasn't one of the cool kids.

I guess the reason that I'm writing this is to say that if you so choose to trail angel make sure to play nice. "

Your so uncool! Schlep would be appropriate. :D

Pedaling Fool
06-10-2013, 20:23
i wanted to start a thread about naysayers. i think they should have their own forum. you know , the ones who say its impossible to thru hike

we still havent finished saving this world. we dont need to spread this love to other worlds yet.
NAY!!
"They":confused: You started this forum for you, you damn naysayer :D

Rasty
06-10-2013, 20:24
NAY!!

What are trail angels called on Uranus?

Water Rat
06-10-2013, 20:24
And while we are at it we should tell the 14 year old girl (chipmunk) that she isn't hiking RIGHT, just like the ones that told Rasty he wasn't hiking RIGHT. It's just NOT RIGHT!

But, ALL the hikers are doing it wrong!! What the heck are they thinking??? I mean, going out and actually hiking! :eek: They really should be cyber hiking instead. That is clearly the right way to do it! (:D)

atmilkman
06-10-2013, 20:29

Oh come on.

slow mind
06-10-2013, 20:33

Trespassers.

Water Rat
06-10-2013, 20:34
Trespassers.

THAT was a great answer! ha ha

hikerboy57
06-10-2013, 20:35
"They":confused: You started this forum for you, you damn naysayer :D
changed it

Wise Old Owl
06-10-2013, 20:35

Klingers!......................................... .

hikerboy57
06-10-2013, 20:36
Klingers!......................................... .
you're thinking of angel soft

Sarcasm the elf
06-10-2013, 20:40
Oh yes, you see those trail angels were doing it all wrong!! Shame, Shame on them!! I think those trail angels should be tied to a tree and flogged.

I really don't agree with them at all- seriously.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj7-14yearold-attempts-record-on-the-appalachian-trail-20130610,0,2317664.story

Somehow I knew that you were going to comment on my post. ;)...it's all good.

Water Rat
06-10-2013, 20:40
you're thinking of angel soft

Is Angel Soft made of real Angels? Just what did they do to deserve that?!

Sarcasm the elf
06-10-2013, 20:42
Hey Rasty,

I've gotta know, what was it that the two non hikers said you were doing wrong?

HikerMom58
06-10-2013, 20:45
Somehow I knew that you were going to comment on my post. ;)...it's all good.

Yup... it's all good! ;) Whooops... Nay! :P

Rasty
06-10-2013, 20:48
Hey Rasty,

I've gotta know, what was it that the two non hikers said you were doing wrong?

Section hiking is wrong because only thru hikers are really hiking the trail the way it was meant to be hiked. Two complete morons and I told both they didn't have a clue. I forgot you can't fix stupid so I should have said nothing.

Wise Old Owl
06-10-2013, 20:49
OMG angel soft is made from virgin forest and angels... say its not so!

atmilkman
06-10-2013, 20:51
Section hiking is wrong because only thru hikers are really hiking the trail the way it was meant to be hiked. Two complete morons and I told both they didn't have a clue. I forgot you can't fix stupid so I should have said nothing.

Ya can't fix stupid.

hikerboy57
06-10-2013, 20:53
Ya can't fix stupid.
sure you can.

naysayer

you just hike faster

slow mind
06-10-2013, 20:54

Can I visit the Black Hills without continuing on to Oregon?

hikerboy57
06-10-2013, 20:55
Can I visit the Black Hills without continuing on to Oregon?
are you bringing a gun?

slow mind
06-10-2013, 20:56
I'm bringing a paddle ball....?

hikerboy57
06-10-2013, 20:57
I'm bringing a paddle ball....?
then yes, you have to go to oregon.

atmilkman
06-10-2013, 20:58
sure you can.

naysayer

you just hike faster

I thought this thread was about no. The word sure is almost as bad as the word yes.

atmilkman
06-10-2013, 20:59
then yes, you have to go to oregon.

There you go with the "y" word.

hikerboy57
06-10-2013, 21:01
There you go with the "y" word.sorry,

nay, you cant visit the black hills without continuing to oregon

Wise Old Owl
06-10-2013, 21:03
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmZ0TY0mrs4

Drybones
06-10-2013, 21:06
Ya can't fix stupid.

Tell my wife that so she'll stop trying.

Rasty
06-10-2013, 21:06
Ya can't fix stupid.
sure you can.

naysayer

you just hike faster

The idiots are usually at road crossings and hiker hotels, etc

Never had a problem wirh actual hikers. It's the wannabees, groupies and pack sniffers that need to be avoided.

Is this a humor or straight forward forum?

slow mind
06-10-2013, 21:07
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/11/115300/2344222-2040381-thorsay_thee_nay_3_super.png (http://www.whiteblaze.net/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=i11vOpkmCQd1RM&tbnid=DA0-oQM91R3ljM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sodahead.com%2Fliving%2Fkeuri g-k-cup-single-cup-brewers-yay-or-nay%2Fquestion-3423903%2F&ei=FHi2Ue6AHY_U9ATL2IHYBQ&bvm=bv.47534661,d.dmQ&psig=AFQjCNFePrAASx2svITuLr9UHMrlfr__1A&ust=1370999169376553)

atmilkman
06-10-2013, 21:08
sorry,

nay, you cant visit the black hills without continuing to oregon

I knew you were a naysayer at heart. It's in your nayture. (I had to type it twice - even spell check is a naysayer - tried to correct me)

Alligator
06-10-2013, 21:14
This is another one of those threads were you move a problem over to another thread and pick apart people's positions and make fun of them. Please don't start threads like this.