PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut shelter information

jbsbestfan
06-10-2013, 20:12
I am going to section hike the state of connecticut in October and had a few questions for those knowledgable.

Are fires allowed at the shelters? Noticed in awol's book no fires in Conn.

What kind of highs and lows can I expect temperature wise the second week in October?

DavidNH
06-10-2013, 21:03
Fires are generally not allowed on the AT in CT.. well along the Riga Plateau anyway.. maybe different at lower elevations. Check guidebook of perhaps some one else could chime in.

For second week in October.. expect lows to be in 20's or 30's at best. High temps could be in the 50's or 60's (ideally) or they could be in 30's and 40's. Connecticut has had snow in October though that's not the norm. Your sleeping bag should be rated to at least 20 degrees F and preferably lower. However, I'd say a zero degree bag would be overkill. This is a very changeable time of year in CT and even more so further north. A lot depends.. if its sunny or if weather is bad. If bad weather moves in it will get chilly fast! The second week of October is about the time that weather is cooling off fast and a frost or hard freeze is increasingly likely. The good news is.. this time of year there are no bugs and humidity most likely will be low.

coach lou
06-10-2013, 21:16
No fires in Connecticut.................and you shouldn't need them anyway. The second week of October is Prime Time in Ct. No bugs, prime leaf peeping. 20s.... that is a stretch, but being from South Cacalacky you might find it nippy, at nite, if the weather turns. What you will find is lots of people, you will be warm in the shelters, because they will be full. Our finest weather is in October, nice days, no humidity, clear, starfilled evenings......................I can't wait!

Leanthree
06-11-2013, 01:45
No fires in CT. I met a couple trail maintainers out cleaning up "illegal" (not sure if it is a law or a guideline, regardless they are unnecessary) fire pits. They explained that because the trail corridor is very narrow that they have forest fire issues.

If you are deciding between Silver Hollow Brook Shelter and Silver Hill Campsite and tent or hammock, I'd recommend Silver Hill.

Enjoy the hike. It is a nice blend of punchy hills and scenic river walks.

coach lou
06-11-2013, 05:45
No fires in CT. I met a couple trail maintainers out cleaning up "illegal" (not sure if it is a law or a guideline, regardless they are unnecessary) fire pits. They explained that because the trail corridor is very narrow that they have forest fire issues.

If you are deciding between Silver Hollow Brook Shelter and Silver Hill Campsite and tent or hammock, I'd recommend Silver Hill.

Enjoy the hike. It is a nice blend of punchy hills and scenic river walks.

That would be 'Stewart' Hollow Brook Shelter, yes, Silver Hill camp is nicer. Up a hill, w/ water pump and Privy. One more thing about that river walk, that river walk from St. John Ledges to Silver Hill Camp is along a Blue Ribbon Trout Stream (river).

gsingjane
06-11-2013, 07:29
Hi there and welcome to our beautiful state! I'm going to chime in and ask you, pretty please, to hold off on the fires! I was up at Limestone with my Girl Scouts a couple weeks ago and we cleaned up THREE fire pits! Not only do they attract garbage (it's amazing the things people seem to think will burn, that don't) but they also sterilize the soil underneath and create an ugly scar.

We have a narrow trail corridor in several places and the fire restriction is there for a good reason (plus, we have had several fires along the trail in recent years). By October it will also be fairly dry and thus even easier for a fire to do serious damage.

Thanks and I hope you enjoy your hike!

Jane in CT

jbsbestfan
07-16-2013, 22:00
thanks for all the information