PDA

View Full Version : Maine section hike questions...

icebeard
06-10-2013, 20:42
Planning a section hike early August in Maine. Looking to do from Stratton to Caratunk. How long should i allow for this section. I am a strong experienced hiker who regularly does 15-20 mile days in the VA MD PA area. Also any preferred shuttlers for this section? Would need airport pickup. Thanks in advance for your replies!

Cookerhiker
06-10-2013, 21:15
You might be able to hike 15 or miles per day in the second 2/3rds of your hike but I wouldn't plan on it your first day when you ascend and descend the Bigalows. Trust me, the last Bigalow descent down Avery Peak into Safford Notch will be like nothing you've hiked in VA, MD, PA. At Safford Notch, you will have gone 10.4 miles. After that, the hiking gets easier so I'd estimate you can reach Caratunk by afternoon of your third day.

So you're incurring the expense of a flight and shuttle for a 37 mile hike?

Don H
06-10-2013, 21:17
That's about 37 miles. It took me 3 days. It might take you into the 4th day depending on if your first day is a full hiking day.

Cookerhiker
06-10-2013, 21:20
That's about 37 miles. It took me 3 days. It might take you into the 4th day depending on if your first day is a full hiking day.

Good point Don - I was assuming his first day was a full day.

Don H
06-10-2013, 21:23
Going north I left Stratton and camped at Safford Notch campsite, East Carry Pond, then into Caratunk.
If you get to the Kennebec late you'll have to wait until morning for the canoe.

Cookerhiker
06-10-2013, 21:27
Similar except I camped at West Carry Pond. Early the next morning, I saw 3 loons on East Carry Pond (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=115466).

lynn523
06-11-2013, 00:54
Eric at The Sterling Inn in Caratunk was providing shuttle services last year (and a great place to stay). Might try giving him a call. I think I remember hearing that the White Wolf Inn at Stratton also offers shuttle services

icebeard
06-11-2013, 12:33
Yes, first day and last day would be half days. Married with two young children, so 5 days is my max time away from home until the kids get older! Makes section hiking an expensive endeavor, but the experiences are priceless... Thanks for the advice everyone! Looking very much forward to my first trip to the magical state of Maine!

Cookerhiker
06-12-2013, 10:20
So a good goal for the first day is 5 miles to Horn's Pond Leanto. In those 5 miles, you'll have ascended 1,900' or 2/3 of the net elevation to the top of the Bigalows. It puts you in good stead to start the Bigalows first thing on the morning of Day 2. First up is South Horn, followed by West Peak and then Avery Peak. Note that I said "net" elevation - there are ups and downs between the individual Bigalow peaks. You should reach Little Bigalow Leanto for your second night. It's only 10 miles but the terrain is tough. The hike will become noticeably easier such that you can then hike to Pierce Pond for your third night (15 miles), leaving you with 4 miles on Day 4, your other half day.

Two great things about Pierce Pond: (1) the shelter is right on the lake i.e. much closer than other shelters which are often set back several hundred feet and (2) Harrison Camps serves wonderful pancake breakfasts, something that's become a "must stop" for thruhikers but section hikers are welcome! Call Harrison Camps for direction and reservation the day before at. Hope you have good weather - it's a beautiful section of trail.

Stepinwolfe
06-12-2013, 11:35
Completed this same section two summers ago, north to south. Staged out of Stratton Motel and used Grey Roy/207-329-3482 for taxi service. Found Greg to be very reliable at a reasonable cost. As other have stated, this will be SLO-GO compared to VA-MD-PA, especially the southern portion.

icebeard
06-14-2013, 21:22
Ok everyone! I managed to sweet talk the wifey into taking 6 days for this hike! So is this agenda overly ambitious? Im basing it on everyones responses so far:
Day 1: stratton to horns pond, approx 5 mi
Day 2: horns pond to little bigalow, approx 10.5 mi
Day 3: little bigalow to pierce pond appro 17 mi
Day 4 pierce pond to pleasant pond approx 10 mi
Day 5: pleasant pond to moxie bald lean to 13.5 mi
Day 6: moxie bald to shiley blanchard rd 11 mi to awaiting shuttle car back to airport forlate night flight

Cookerhiker
06-14-2013, 22:04
Ok everyone! I managed to sweet talk the wifey into taking 6 days for this hike! So is this agenda overly ambitious? Im basing it on everyones responses so far:
Day 1: stratton to horns pond, approx 5 mi
Day 2: horns pond to little bigalow, approx 10.5 mi
Day 3: little bigalow to pierce pond appro 17 mi
Day 4 pierce pond to pleasant pond approx 10 mi
Day 5: pleasant pond to moxie bald lean to 13.5 mi
Day 6: moxie bald to shiley blanchard rd 11 mi to awaiting shuttle car back to airport forlate night flight

Looks good - you'll have a blast. Hope the weather cooperates.

Your hardest day is Day 2; you already knew that. Second hardest is Day 5, not because it's 13.5 miles per se but because Pleasant Pond Mountain is a very steep ascent. Moxie Bald is slightly easier. You're doing them both on Day 5.

icebeard
06-19-2013, 20:56
Thanks everyone for the replies! Very helpful info! Shuttle and plane ticket secured and im ready to go! One last question, if i may- Will black flies be an issue last week of July?

Cookerhiker
06-20-2013, 06:20
... One last question, if i may- Will black flies be an issue last week of July?

No, not by the end of July. You will have mosquitoes.

redseal
06-20-2013, 17:59
My wife and I did the same section in about 2.5 days. As comparison, we would do anywhere between 18 - 25 miles per day in PA while weekend hiking. So I would said 3 full days should be sufficient for you.

icebeard
06-26-2013, 13:50
Does anyone know if theres any place in or near Stratton that carries canister fuel?