PDA

View Full Version : Lightest sub 2# freestanding tent?

Swordpen
06-10-2013, 22:09
Hi,

I am looking for a sub 2# freestanding 1 person tent. I live in the desert, & the ground is rock hard & sometimes impossible to get stakes in, thus the need for freestanding.

So I am looking for freestanding or else, the least amount of stakes needed (2-4 stakes?).

I'd "prefer" only using 1 hiking pole for set up, & 1 carbon fiber pole that the tent maker sells, if necessary, to replace the 2nd hiking pole, as I tend to basecamp, & dayhike around the area, & I'd like to have 1 pole for that.

I already own the:

1. Lightheart Solo (8 stakes). Light tent, really nice tent, but too many stakes.
2. Big Agnes Copper Spur 2P (heavy)
3. Golite Imogene UL2 (over 2#). There is no UL1.
4. REI Quarterdome 2P (really heavy)
5. REI Campdome 2 (really heavy)

I'd like a side opening one (thus not the Seedhouse).
I'd like it to be tall enough to sit in (I'm 5'9"), put my Zpacks Arc Blast in + 1 Labrador Retriever (he can squeeze in small spaces :) )

Optional: some kind of vestibule/ shade?

A Tarp wont work in the desert for me, there are too many scorpions & snakes to risk it.

Thanks if anyone knows here.

One of these days I am going to have a tent sale, lol :)

Thinking the only answer to this is Henry Shires 1P Rainbow?

Thanks in advance for any replies! :)

Durtydan
06-10-2013, 23:11
I have the Henry Shires Moment which has a good amount of room(I'm also 5'9 and enjoy sitting under the tent, very light, freestanding, good vestibule, side entry and packs small. only downside you may find is to make it freestanding you need a second tent pole which is 7oz but you can def get a secondary one made from one of a few websites that make any size pole you want in carbon in as many segments as you'd like. I forget the name but someone please help me out...and worse are scenario if you don't want to deal with the freestand and want stakes, you only need 2 and they hold well but I always bring freestanding extra pole and ditch the stakes and use think sticks or rocks if emergencies arise.
hope any of that helps.

might wanna use TWO tyvek footprints to be very protected from the desert ground and I've found putting grommets in both and attaching them to the bottom of the tent avoids having to pack and unpack both everyday. a stupid little fix but it works well.

sorry for babbling.

Swordpen
06-10-2013, 23:52
Durtydan,

Thank you for your comments, no you are not babbling at all! :)

Venchka
06-11-2013, 16:07
Free standing on hard ground or rocky ground without stakes will become Free Flying/Rolling/Tumbling. Buy any sub-2 pound shelter thingie that you like and weight it down with available rocks, etc. Better buy 2. One for you & one for the pack and the critter.
Good luck.

Wayne

bigcranky
06-11-2013, 17:49
I have an original Moment. It takes two stakes for normal setup, and the optional long pole makes it free standing, though of course you'll want to stake it down to keep it from blowing away...

I like the Moment. It has plenty of room inside for me and my winter gear, good ventilation, and I prefer the entrance on the long side so I can sit up in the middle. The vestibule is large enough for my pack and boots, and I can cook in it if the weather is bad. It does get some condensation, sometimes heavy, but that's here in the humid Southeast and can be mitigated.

I guess the only real downside is all that ventilation can make it cold in the winter, especially in the wind. Oh, and it will handle an amazing wind load if you can stake out the sides using the built-in tieouts.

Durtydan
06-11-2013, 19:13
the way I've combatted the condensation that can occur is Henry shires sells a ceiling liner that attaches and creates an almost double wall system on the inside which have worked perfectly even on those nights that everyone else camping complains of wet down sleeping bags. once it's up you can just leave it clipped in for good

Big Dawg
06-11-2013, 23:44
the way I've combatted the condensation that can occur is Henry shires sells a ceiling liner that attaches and creates an almost double wall system on the inside which have worked perfectly even on those nights that everyone else camping complains of wet down sleeping bags. once it's up you can just leave it clipped in for good

No ceiling liner needed for the new Moment. It's a true 2 wall. I own both the old and new versions. The Moment is a great design. It is more than 2#'s, especially when carrying the cross pole that makes the Moment freestanding. However, I never bring the cross pole because even when a tent is freestanding, you'll need to stake it down so it doesn't blow away, as others have mentioned. For the times that I couldn't put a stake in the ground, a few large rocks holding the line at each end was more than sufficient to keep the tent taut.

Grampsb
06-12-2013, 07:03
If cost is not an issue here is a good summary of enclosed shelters - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0As-hvbUBJ_X_dGgwNkwwZUp6bGhyVzBrcmNhUjR3Z0E

Venchka
06-12-2013, 13:23
Upon further thought...
Sub-2 pounds, freestanding and stake less doesn't exist. Even 10 or 12 pound freestanding dome style tents need to be attached to terra firma or they will vanish in a light breeze.
Conversely, non-self-supporting tents that require guy lines and stakes for their shape and stability have been pitched on sand, rock & snow since forever.

Since you seem to like your Lightheart Solo tent, get creative and learn how to make it work anywhere.

Wayne

bfayer
06-12-2013, 14:13
I would look at big sky.

I think their revolution one person is less than 2 pounds if you get the cf poles.

jeffmeh
06-12-2013, 14:15
If you use trekking poles, you should take a look at the Tarptent Rainbow. You can use the poles as "spreaders" on each end of the tent to make it freestanding. Henry also sells the panels to install to make it double wall at the top interior. You will be over two lbs., but not by much if you already carry and don't count the trekking poles.

Venchka
06-12-2013, 15:43
If you use trekking poles, you should take a look at the Tarptent Rainbow. You can use the poles as "spreaders" on each end of the tent to make it freestanding. Henry also sells the panels to install to make it double wall at the top interior. You will be over two lbs., but not by much if you already carry and don't count the trekking poles.

That looks nice for fair weather. You still need stakes or rocks or weight of some kind to hold it in place.

Wayne

jeffmeh
06-12-2013, 15:52
That looks nice for fair weather. You still need stakes or rocks or weight of some kind to hold it in place.

Wayne

Stakes or weight would be required for any freestanding tent. It's pretty weather-proof, and I wouldn't hesitate to take it out when there is a possibility of moderate snow. If it were almost a certainty, like the northern winter, I would take something else.

Venchka
06-12-2013, 18:17
Agreed. However, the OP clearly stated:
So I am looking for freestanding or else, the least amount of stakes needed (2-4 stakes?).. With the right arrangement, rocks will substitute for, or reinforce stakes. Creativity is the key.

Wayne

leaftye
06-13-2013, 00:02
I would look at big sky.

I think their revolution one person is less than 2 pounds if you get the cf poles.

There's also the option for a cuben fiber fly. They call the fabric let-it-por or something silly like that. It's big money though. A cuben tent with carbon poles is around a thousand bucks.

bfayer
06-13-2013, 07:56
There's also the option for a cuben fiber fly. They call the fabric let-it-por or something silly like that. It's big money though. A cuben tent with carbon poles is around a thousand bucks.

Well his specs call for the golden goose of tents, so he can expect to pay for the privilege.

Big Sky is the only one I know that is a true free standing tent in that weight range.

Its like back in my drag racing days. Question: How fast can I make this car go? Answer: How much money do you have :)

leaftye
06-13-2013, 12:43
Well his specs call for the golden goose of tents, so he can expect to pay for the privilege.

Big Sky is the only one I know that is a true free standing tent in that weight range.

Its like back in my drag racing days. Question: How fast can I make this car go? Answer: How much money do you have :)

I'm glad you're looking at it the right way. When you want to go to the extremes, you compromise your bank account, comfort, or convenience, and sometimes all three.

Bob told me many of his customers don't buy cuben fiber because it's lighter, but because it doesn't let sand through. That's a bigger factor where he lives.

Dogwood
06-13-2013, 15:36
You're starting to amass a tent collection! Now you want yet another tent. Where is it that there is ground you can't get a stake into AND AT THE SAME TIME can't find a few trees, rocks, etc to guy out your Lightheart Solo? Have you considered packing along some old UL stuff sacks you can fill with small rocks, dirt, gear, etc and guy out to as dead men? These might be a simpler solution than buying yet another tent.

Got to share this story. On my first landscape installation in Nevada I came across caliche. Caliche is a mix of sand, lime, water and possibly some small rocks. Some might know it as mortar(no rocks) or concrete. Every single plant hole was dug, well nor really dug, with a jackhammer and even then it was a tedious chip chip away at it process. The ground(concrete) couldn't be penetrated with a sharpened shovel with my 210 lbs jumping on it or heavy pickaxe being swung full force at the ground. My skimpy Ti skewer stakes would have been totally useless if I had been trying to erect a hiking shelter. Lots of rocks and a few small bushes to guy off to in the area though.

Venchka
06-13-2013, 16:48
You're starting to amass a tent collection! Now you want yet another tent. Where is it that there is ground you can't get a stake into AND AT THE SAME TIME can't find a few trees, rocks, etc to guy out your Lightheart Solo? Have you considered packing along some old UL stuff sacks you can fill with small rocks, dirt, gear, etc and guy out to as dead men? These might be a simpler solution than buying yet another tent.

Got to share this story. On my first landscape installation in Nevada I came across caliche. Caliche is a mix of sand, lime, water and possibly some small rocks. Some might know it as mortar(no rocks) or concrete. Every single plant hole was dug, well nor really dug, with a jackhammer and even then it was a tedious chip chip away at it process. The ground(concrete) couldn't be penetrated with a sharpened shovel with my 210 lbs jumping on it or heavy pickaxe being swung full force at the ground. My skimpy Ti skewer stakes would have been totally useless if I had been trying to erect a hiking shelter. Lots of rocks and a few small bushes to guy off to in the area though.

That's what I've been talking about. Use what you have to work with.
Examples:
Non-freestanding tunnel tent. Properly pitched using heavy things in the area.

Freestanding tent. Same method.

Wayne

Swordpen
06-14-2013, 01:21
I would look at big sky.

Ah ha! Thank you yes, this seems to be the one. I really don't have a choice, it's very hard for me to bend, with my hip replacement, bad other hip, & collateral damage in my back from the first hip going bad. Spending 10 minutes bending or kneeing to try to get a stake in rock hard ground, leaves me in unnecessary pain & stiffness.

Also, for those who said I'd have a tumbleweed without staking the tent down, I did say in my original post, 2-4 stakes was doable (& yes, I know about the tumbleweed connection & actually have a video in Prescott of my husband's tent doing that. [It was pretty funny ;-D ]

bfayer
06-14-2013, 07:47
Ah ha! Thank you yes, this seems to be the one. I really don't have a choice, it's very hard for me to bend, with my hip replacement, bad other hip, & collateral damage in my back from the first hip going bad. Spending 10 minutes bending or kneeing to try to get a stake in rock hard ground, leaves me in unnecessary pain & stiffness.

Also, for those who said I'd have a tumbleweed without staking the tent down, I did say in my original post, 2-4 stakes was doable (& yes, I know about the tumbleweed connection & actually have a video in Prescott of my husband's tent doing that. [It was pretty funny ;-D ]

I hope it works for you. I don't have one but I have met someone that has the 2 person and I liked it quite a bit.

It had ever features and quality I was looking for, but I could not justify the cost to weight ratio.

Also, and I don't know if it is still the case, but the guy that had one told me he had to wait like 6 months to get it after he ordered it. So I would call first before I ordered it.