PDA

View Full Version : can one add a frame to frameless pack?

Acacia
06-10-2013, 22:47
Has anyone added a lightweight frame into a frameless pack? I recently got a GoLite Jam 70L Pack (Unisex) medium and realize that weighted with stuff, the pack's shoulder pads push down on my shoulders and cause pain. Or do I pack it so that the overall height is higher than the shoulder pads and this will lift them off my shoulders?

Rasty
06-10-2013, 22:55
Generally frameless packs use a sleeping pad inside to act as a frame. Stick a closed cell pad (or partially inflated pad) loosely rolled up inside and fill it like a burrito.

Acacia
06-11-2013, 00:53
Sounds good....thanks!

moytoy
06-11-2013, 07:12
Has anyone added a lightweight frame into a frameless pack? I recently got a GoLite Jam 70L Pack (Unisex) medium and realize that weighted with stuff, the pack's shoulder pads push down on my shoulders and cause pain. Or do I pack it so that the overall height is higher than the shoulder pads and this will lift them off my shoulders?
I have a 50L Jam and use a sleeping pad to stiffen it like rasty mentioned. How much weight are you trying to carry? For me anything more that 20-22 lbs and I carry a pack with a frame.

Acacia
06-12-2013, 03:27
I have a 50L Jam and use a sleeping pad to stiffen it like rasty mentioned. How much weight are you trying to carry? For me anything more that 20-22 lbs and I carry a pack with a frame.

I'll be carrying between 25-30 lbs. Will test the rolled (or folded) sleeping pad in the pack with that much weight and see if it holds up.

Grinder
06-12-2013, 08:44
I have a DIY Gearskin clone. I use a rolled up sleeping pad for the frame. I carry up to 35 lbs when leaving town with 6 days food. It carries well with the top load levelers tightened up snug.

yaduck9
06-12-2013, 10:52

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=41876

Grinder
06-12-2013, 12:01
the "packing it high" approach makes a big difference. I also tighten the hip belt quite tight to prevent it from slipping down.

My next DIY will have the harness mounted lower to help in that respect.

Bronk
06-13-2013, 02:37
If the weight is on your shoulders then you do not have your pack adjusted properly. The weight should ride on your hips.

Loosen your shoulder straps. Then there are another set of straps on top of your shoulders near your back...loosen these up as far as they will go. Put your fully loaded pack on...if you've done the above then your pack should be leaning away from your back. First tighten up your hip belt so that your hips are carrying the weight. Next bend over and pull your shoulder straps tight. Stand back up. Your pack should still be leaning away from your back...pull the straps on top of your shoulders until your pack is just vertical. If you go past vertical you are putting the weight on your shoulders. The reason you want all the weight on your hips is because your legs are the largest muscles in your body and that is what will support the weight.

Acacia
06-13-2013, 04:09
Thank you all for the advice. That was helpful.

yaduck9, interesting reading about coroplast and frame sheets.

jesse
06-13-2013, 04:44
I have a ray-way 9.5oz frameless pack. The key is weight. If you decide to go with an ultralight pack, you must carry ultralight gear. Frameless packs are not designed to carry heavy loads. 25-30 lbs is heavy.