PDA

View Full Version : thru hike definition

Starchild
06-11-2013, 07:38
Does a thru have to be done in a calendar year or one year from the start date to qualify?

RED-DOG
06-11-2013, 07:42
NO a Thru can be done over a period of several years, you still be a 2,000 miler it doesn't matter if you do it in one or several years.

moldy
06-11-2013, 07:49
Going back to "Crazy Earl Shaffer" who was the guy who set the standard that has been passed down to us as a "Thru-hike", is to start at one end and keep going all the way to the other. Ten years ago if you asked that same question they would tell you that you would do it all in the same hiking season or year. Today the term has evolved to include as the previous post says.

hikerboy57
06-11-2013, 08:18
thru hike is done in one year. you can still get 2000 mile status if you do it over a number of years.

Sarcasm the elf
06-11-2013, 08:21
There is no official definition of the term Thru hike, nor is there any governing body that keeps track.

The ATC does give out their "2000 miler" patch to people who have hiked the entire trail, but they don't make any distinction between people that hiked the trail in one year, or people who hiked the trail in sections over a number of years. The award is also given out on the honor system.

Edit: That said, I personally wouldn't claim to have thru hiked unless I hiked the whole trail in one season.

snifur
06-11-2013, 08:42
By its definition “Thru” is a variant of the word “Through” and according to the dictionary it is a function word that indicates an entire period of time, to indicate movement within a large expanse, from the beginning to the end, during exposure to a specified set of conditions to completion. This is from Webster’s online dictionary. My Thru hike met all of these conditions in a single season uninterrupted. I believe as society we are continuously making it easier to award peoples achievements by lowering standards. My children get trophies just for being part of a team. It is a joke. A Thru-Hike was intended to be done continuously as E.S did. That is the appeal of it. However, if one feels the need to redefine the definition to meet their individual needs and wants and by-pass the pinnacle of Maslow’s Hierarchy of the AT then have at it for self-gratification. HYOH and reward the meritocracy of the achievements earned.

marti038
06-11-2013, 08:49
While I agree with this...

By its definition “Thru” is a variant of the word “Through” and according to the dictionary it is a function word that indicates an entire period of time, to indicate movement within a large expanse, from the beginning to the end, during exposure to a specified set of conditions to completion. This is from Webster’s online dictionary.

I have to say that I'm disappointed that one would think completing the AT in sections is a "lower standard".

I believe as society we are continuously making it easier to award peoples achievements by lowering standards. My children get trophies just for being part of a team. It is a joke. A Thru-Hike was intended to be done continuously as E.S did. That is the appeal of it. However, if one feels the need to redefine the definition to meet their individual needs and wants and by-pass the pinnacle of Maslow’s Hierarchy of the AT then have at it for self-gratification. HYOH and reward the meritocracy of the achievements earned.

marti038
06-11-2013, 08:51
By the way, Maslow was a little "cray, cray" if you look beyond his famous pyramid.

snifur
06-11-2013, 09:01
To allcon, i am not saying that completing the AT in sections is a lower standard. please do not turn this into a WB challenge of ignorance. We each are limited by our own abilities. I admire all those that have dreamed of hiking and completing the AT with their unique individual challenges. section hiking the entire AT is a significant achievement. however, i personally believe that a through hike is continuous. on my hike i met many great people with difficulties that far exceeded mine. their will and determination was no less impressive than one who attempts a record.

MDSection12
06-11-2013, 09:01
By its definition “Thru” is a variant of the word “Through” and according to the dictionary it is a function word that indicates an entire period of time, to indicate movement within a large expanse, from the beginning to the end, during exposure to a specified set of conditions to completion. This is from Webster’s online dictionary. My Thru hike met all of these conditions in a single season uninterrupted. I believe as society we are continuously making it easier to award peoples achievements by lowering standards. My children get trophies just for being part of a team. It is a joke. A Thru-Hike was intended to be done continuously as E.S did. That is the appeal of it. However, if one feels the need to redefine the definition to meet their individual needs and wants and by-pass the pinnacle of Maslow’s Hierarchy of the AT then have at it for self-gratification. HYOH and reward the meritocracy of the achievements earned.

I don't think anyone is redefining anything. A thru hike is a thru hike and a section hike is a section hike... But both are eligible for the 2,000 miler patch after completion.

snifur
06-11-2013, 09:03
Well said MDS12!

jersey joe
06-11-2013, 09:10
Does a thru have to be done in a calendar year or one year from the start date to qualify?

A thru hike does not have to be done in a calendar year, just under 365 days from start to finish.

coach lou
06-11-2013, 09:32
thru hike is done in one year. you can still get 2000 mile status if you do it over a number of years.
Good, because it has taken me 43 years to get 500 miles in......and 250 of them have came in the last 18 months! :banana, and my kind-of goal is to finish it by '17......................................60!

I can put that patch on my old scout jacket!!!

FarmerChef
06-11-2013, 09:52
Good, because it has taken me 43 years to get 500 miles in......and 250 of them have came in the last 18 months! :banana, and my kind-of goal is to finish it by '17..............................................6 0!

I can put that patch on my old scout jacket!!!

Here, here Coach. My son's patch is going on his cub scout patch vest next year (Lord, willing).

I agree with MDSection12 and Snifur. To me, it's not a question of better/worse, tougher/easier, greater/lesser. It's a question of terminology so we name different things consistently and so that they have meaning. To me a "thru hike" is a continuous hike of the entire trail within 365 calendar days, done in sections, flip-flop or all one direction.

I am a section hiker and dream of doing a thru hike one day. To me, they are completely different experiences and I look forward to having BOTH. But I wouldn't equate section hiking with thru hiking from a terminology standpoint.

The 2,000 miler award is a separate recognition of completing the trail (the trail, not roads, rivers, etc.) and is awarded by the ATC as per their standards. There should be no debate on what a 2,000 miler award means. My two cents...ok more like 50 cents ;) :sun

fredmugs
06-11-2013, 10:39
I section hiked the AT over 9 years. I absolutely did NOT thru hike it. Section hikers get to cherry pick their sections and timing of their hikes. They also do not experience thru hiker hunger.

Pedaling Fool
06-11-2013, 10:51
Personally, I think the ATC made a mistake coming up with a 2,000-miler certificate and badge. However, I guess you can't undo these things, so I'd like to see them come up with a thru-hiker certificate and badge, just so this issue never dies; it's kind of entertaining to watch.:)

Slo-go'en
06-11-2013, 11:11
They also do not experience thru hiker hunger.

Depends on how big the section is - after a 500 mile section, I definately have thru hiker hunger - say, if your not going to finish that, I'll eat it...

To say you DID a thru hike, you need to have completed the trail in one go. Since a typical thru will last 4 to 6 months, allowing a full year from start to finish allows for some significant time off.

Of course, if you start out at Springer (or Katahdin) with the possible intention of going all the way, your called a thru hiker even though you probably won't be.

imscotty
06-11-2013, 11:20
Words should and do have meaning. My understanding is that the meaning of the term 'thru-hike' is completely hiking a long distance trail in a continuous fashion. Specifically for the AT I take this to mean hiking every mile, in whatever sequence within one year (not necessarily a calendar year). Lots of South bounders start in one calendar year, but finish in another, and are considered thru-hikers. Reasonable breaks, visits home, slack packing and so on are generally considered acceptable.

Calling an incomplete hike (yellow blazing, blue blazing, etc) or a section hike that took more than a year a thru-hike is I think a dishonest use of the term.

Pedaling Fool
06-11-2013, 11:33
So if one hikes the entire trail in a continuous fashion, but only averaging ~5 miles per day, which would take longer than a year. What would we call that.:D

FarmerChef
06-11-2013, 11:38
So if one hikes the entire trail in a continuous fashion, but only averaging ~5 miles per day, which would take longer than a year. What would we call that.:D

a really long hike. :D The big 3 trails in the US (north/south trails, that is) all have serious limitations if not outright bans (Katahdin for example) on hiking at certain times of the year. So a full 365 day hike without lopping off the snow-bound limited portions wouldn't succeed without waiting until the following season anyway.

That said, it's still a valid question PF. What about "thru hiking" the international AT. That might take longer than a year. I'm thinking of rescinding my "within 365 days" limitation. It just must be contiguous. Now to debate what a "reasonable" break from the trail might be...

hikerboy57
06-11-2013, 11:44
a slo-hike

BirdBrain
06-11-2013, 12:34
I don't think anyone is redefining anything. A thru hike is a thru hike and a section hike is a section hike... But both are eligible for the 2,000 miler patch after completion.

+1. As concise as can be put. No need to redefine what should be clear and has been stated clearly here. Both are great accomplishments, but they are what they are.

BirdBrain
06-11-2013, 12:41
Words should and do have meaning. My understanding is that the meaning of the term 'thru-hike' is completely hiking a long distance trail in a continuous fashion. Specifically for the AT I take this to mean hiking every mile, in whatever sequence within one year (not necessarily a calendar year). Lots of South bounders start in one calendar year, but finish in another, and are considered thru-hikers. Reasonable breaks, visits home, slack packing and so on are generally considered acceptable.

Calling an incomplete hike (yellow blazing, blue blazing, etc) or a section hike that took more than a year a thru-hike is I think a dishonest use of the term.

Completely agree. the sad thing is that in this day and age we redefine words to suit our views. I am happy for this discussion. It had not dawned on me that I will never thru hike. I have talked with my wife and hiking partner about doing a thru next year by picking up where I leave off this year. I now realize that by definition that is impossible. Of well. It is just a word, but should be reserved for those who do it all at once.

MDSection12
06-11-2013, 13:11
I don't think I will ever thru the AT. I hope to one day have completed it, but it won't be in a continuous stretch... I just don't see it coming up high on the list if I ever have six months and five grand to kill. :)

Odd Man Out
06-11-2013, 13:11
There is no official definition of the term Thru hike, nor is there any governing body that keeps track.

The ATC does give out their "2000 miler" patch to people who have hiked the entire trail, but they don't make any distinction between people that hiked the trail in one year, or people who hiked the trail in sections over a number of years. ....

However, the ATC does make a distinction between thru and section hiking (even though both are eligible for the 2000 mile patch). On their web site a thru hike is defined as "Completing the entire estimated 2,180 miles of the Appalachian Trail in one trip" whereas a section hiker "completes the A.T. in multiple trips over a period of years." Using these terms, one might conclude that a thru hike needs to be done in one year, but that is not explicitly stated so a continuous hike (i.e. one trip) that spans more than one calendar year (Dec 20-June 20, e.g.) or more than 365 days (really slow), if still in one trip, fits the thru hike definition.

I think the thru hike argument gets a bit silly when it degrades to other fine points such as defining exactly what is meant by "one trip" or "the entire trail". I did observe that the ATC web site does include alternate itineraries (flip-flop, etc...) as a legitimate thru hike.

DavidNH
06-11-2013, 13:15
a thru hike is doing the entire trail in one hiking season. If you need part of the next season.. then you're a 2000 miler.

That said.. the ATC does'nt care if the AT takes you six months or 60 years, long as you hike the entire trail.

max patch
06-11-2013, 13:29
A thru hike is when you start at one terminus and hike to the other.

Ya'll can try to change the definition if you want but I'm not buying it. I blame the internet on bastardizing the term.

Magic_Mack
06-11-2013, 13:31
As a current section hiker, who lives near Damsacus.....I hope in 2017 to do my "thru" starting somewhere around Waynesboro in June and going to Maine from there. I will then have hiked the AT and I will have experienced all the "misery" that somehow make s people feel like they are better or one upping another. I still feel like it will take me at least 3.5 months from there and I will still have to do 1600 miles which is a damn accomplishment.

BirdBrain
06-11-2013, 13:37
A thru hike is when you start at one terminus and hike to the other.

Ya'll can try to change the definition if you want but I'm not buying it. I blame the internet on bastardizing the term.

I blame group speak mentality. If a majority think Pluto is a planet, they believe they have changed reality to conform to their error. We saw the same thing during y2k. A majority believe the millennium started on 1/1/2000. The trouble is that there was no 1/1/0000. Our calendar starts with year 1, not year zero. I could go on, but it would rightfully be censored. It is refreshing to see this community care about what the term thru infers. I would benefit many to have it mean something else. If people employed human nature, that majority would change its meaning to benefit their reality. Those that do it in one try deserve the distinction.

HooKooDooKu
06-11-2013, 16:46
The only place I know of where there is a formal definision of a Thru-Hiker is in the rules for Backcountry Permits in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. To qualify as a GSMNP Thru-Hiker, your hike must start AND end at least 50 beyond the park boundaries. Otherwise you fall under the rules for a "General" back packer.

Odd Man Out
06-11-2013, 17:13
I blame group speak mentality. ...

But word definitions change all the time based on common usage. Prior to WWII, the dictionary definition of the word COMPUTER was "a person who does computations". After WWII, it was "a machine that does computations". Definitions follow usage, not the other way, even if we don't like it. An exception would be my unwillingness to budge on the the current trend of using adjectives as adverbs. I will never give in to that! That is a rule that I follow very close.

(oops, I mean closely).

Grampie
06-11-2013, 17:24
A thru hike is hiking the whole AT trail in one continued adventure. That said, I meet folks often hiking the AT calling themselves a "thru hiker", when they are only hiking a section. I never considered myfelf a thru-hiker even though I hiked over 2000 miles in one continus hike.
As far as the ATC is conserned all you have to do is say you did it and they will send you a certificate. Each year quite a few folks who claim to have hiked the whole trail but didn't apply and get the certificate. That's why it doesn't mean that much. Only you know if you are a true thru-hiker or not.

coach lou
06-11-2013, 17:28
Only you know if you are a true thru-hiker or not.

As far as I can tell....this is all that counts!:sun

BuckeyeBill
06-12-2013, 01:13
After reading through this thread, I have a suggestion. The ATC Could still award the cerificate and patch, but issue a rocker that states "Thru Hiker" or "Section Hiker"> Then there would be a destinction in how you hiked the trail, Just a thought.

rusty bumper
06-12-2013, 08:42
In 2011 I hiked from Springer to Chairback Gap Lean-to in Maine where I fell and broke my leg after 5 months of hiking and 2,093 miles. I returned in late August of 2012 and finished the remaining 88 miles to Katahdin. I consider myself an "end-to-ender" and of course, a 2000 miler, but not a thru-hiker.

Sarcasm the elf
06-12-2013, 09:15
After reading through this thread, I have a suggestion. The ATC Could still award the cerificate and patch, but issue a rocker that states "Thru Hiker" or "Section Hiker"> Then there would be a destinction in how you hiked the trail, Just a thought.

It is my understanding that the ATC made the decision to give out the 2000 miler patch as their way of acknowledging people's accomplishments without having to insert themselves into the debate regarding what a "real" thru hike is as well as the section hike vs. thru hike conversation.

The ATC's purpose is to maintain and protect the trail and I think they have better ways to use their limited resources than to decide who is and isn't hiking the "right" way.

MuddyWaters
06-12-2013, 23:04
this question ranks up there with "should I bring a g_n."

A thru hike is generally regarded as an un-interrupted hike.
There are no other generally agreed upon definitions.

What is hilarious, is that to many getting off trail for up to a week in a trail town is OK. But going home for a week to attend a wedding isnt. Everyone makes up their own definition.

So some amount of off-trail time is "OK" by most everyones definitions (because its just too hard for them to do it otherwise). But the allowable amount is variable in different peoples minds. So is whether it is done in a season, like Earl Schaffer, or done in a calendar year, or a year, or 2 years, is up for personal interpretation.

Some dont consider it a thru hike if you slackpack the majority like Warren Doyle's groups. But they dont have any problem slackpacking a bit, because they want to enjoy a bit of that too. Laughable.

If you hike the whole thing in a "mostly" uninterrupted fashion, you have thru hiked.

Doesnt matter how long it takes.
Doesnt matter how long your breaks were, or where you took them.
Doesnt matter if you carried a pack or not

Everyones idea of a thru hike is different, like everyones idea of what makes a good spouse or job is too.

Ethesis
04-29-2018, 14:42
A thru hike does not have to be done in a calendar year, just under 365 days from start to finish.

Indeed. That is the official definition.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/thru-hiking/faqs

MuddyWaters
04-29-2018, 15:39
Indeed. That is the official definition.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/thru-hiking/faqs
There's no official definition.
That is the ATC definition.

And it's irrelevant because it's not used for anything.
Why they even think they should issue an opinion on it is questionable.

By their definition you could complete four section hikes in random order, with two month rest at home in between each and you would still have thru hiked.

Nobody else would really call that a thru-hike. Yes you hiked it all in a year. So what.

What it is intended to be generous enough that anybody attempting to hike the trail in a single season can easily fit it into that time frame. After that it's just an arbitrary time, because it takes you more than 12 months you weren't even trying to do it in a single attempt.

I don't really care if someone says they thru hiked... Then they did. I've met people that " thru hiked" 40-50 mile trails. A lot of people are itching to call themselves thru-hikers. They think it adds some street cred to them or something.

lonehiker
04-30-2018, 00:12
As long as the hike is continuous I don't see why there should be any qualifier for time i.e. hiking season, calendar year, or 12 months. The major debate, in my mind, would be to define continuous. I think it allows for minor periods off-trail such as an occasional zero day(s). But, as an example, any type of significant injury recovery would push you into section hiker status.

Malto
04-30-2018, 13:08
I self identify as a thru hiker therefore I am!