PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy LT map near trail head? Hiking tomorrow.

ic32987
06-11-2013, 09:40
Hi everyone,

I am 2012 AT SOBO thru-hiker about to hike the northern section of the LT...tomorrow. I just got ten days off unexpectedly, so I have not really been able to plan much. I'm going to plan for no resupplies, and hoping to leave Killington at a pace of 20 miles per day. This is on par with what I did on the AT.

My bigger issue right now is that I have neither a guide book or map, and I'd like at least one of the two. Neither REI nor EMS carry them near me, but I'm hoping someone knows the scoop on where to find them closer to the trail in VT.

Any general input/advice is also welcome.

Yukon
06-11-2013, 11:06
Off the top of my head, there is an EMS in Rutland which is a bus ride away from the Inn @ LT...or you could hitch from there. Where exactly are you leaving from, the Rt. 4 parking area?

thewalkingstick
06-11-2013, 11:46
Hi everyone,

I am 2012 AT SOBO thru-hiker about to hike the northern section of the LT...tomorrow. I just got ten days off unexpectedly, so I have not really been able to plan much. I'm going to plan for no resupplies, and hoping to leave Killington at a pace of 20 miles per day. This is on par with what I did on the AT.

My bigger issue right now is that I have neither a guide book or map, and I'd like at least one of the two. Neither REI nor EMS carry them near me, but I'm hoping someone knows the scoop on where to find them closer to the trail in VT.

Any general input/advice is also welcome.

I got the map and guide at a bookstore in Burlington, I would guess that bookstores or outfitters in the major towns would have them too. The GMC headquarters are in Waterbury if you have time to go there.

Slo-go'en
06-11-2013, 12:02
If your indeed in Boston, the EMS in Cambridge should have GMC guides. If your having someone drive you up there, stop in Manchester Center at either the outfitter or book store in the center of town.

BTW, good luck on the 20 mile days - the northen half of the LT is a LOT harder then the AT, although it might not seem that way until you get to Mt Abraham. Also keep in mind that camping is pretty much limited to the shelters up there, so the distance between shelters will determine the distance for the day.

ic32987
06-11-2013, 19:29
Thanks for the replies. I drove around and eventually found the little GMC guide. It has little topo maps, elevation profiles, and distances between points. I butchered it today for the parts I need, and I'm totally content with that. I did adjust my no-resupply plan however, and am mailing a box to Jonesville in the AM. Should let me move around a bit quicker, not carrying so much. I plan on leaving Rt. 4 tomorrow afternoon. Any input on getting to Burlington from North Troy? I don't quite have a ride back for when I finish yet...