PDA

View Full Version : I need help with inexpensive lodging in Bangor area.

NCMedic
06-11-2013, 11:52
Ok, so I have given notice at work and will find myself "homeless" next week as I prepare for my SOBO hike. So, instead of hanging out here till I start the trail I am looking into the possibility of heading to Bangor and exploring the area for 10 days before I hit BSP and begin. Does anyone know of inexpensive lodging in the area? is there an inexpensive but clean/safe motel that has cheap weekly rates? I have also thought about trying couch surfing but am really unfamiliar with how to go about that as well. Thanks.....

kidchill
06-11-2013, 17:35
I would contact Phil Pepin http://100milewilderness.info/ and see what he has available. He picked me up at Bangor airport, drove me to his cabin (where I stayed the night), and then took me to Baxter park to start my thru-hike. Also, he provides resupply in the 100 mile wilderness. I know he has one cabin and was working on multiple others (not totally sure where they were). The important thing is, he's all about the trail and NOT all about making money. He will go out of his way, above and beyond to get you there and prepared. Also, if he can't provide the service you're looking for, he may be able to recommend something for you. It's worth looking into.

Water Rat
06-11-2013, 18:21
Ok, so I have given notice at work and will find myself "homeless" next week as I prepare for my SOBO hike. So, instead of hanging out here till I start the trail I am looking into the possibility of heading to Bangor and exploring the area for 10 days before I hit BSP and begin. Does anyone know of inexpensive lodging in the area? is there an inexpensive but clean/safe motel that has cheap weekly rates? I have also thought about trying couch surfing but am really unfamiliar with how to go about that as well. Thanks.....

No offense meant to anyone living in Bangor (I live in the area), but I highly doubt you want to spend 10 days in Bangor before you hit the trail. Bangor is interesting to visit... But, not interesting enough to spend 10 days there.

What are you interested in exploring before the trail - city, or parks? Are you open to the idea of heading up to the park and exploring the park before you begin your hike? Have you thought about spending time at Acadia? Not wanting to be nosy - I am asking so I can get a little more information to (hopefully) answer your questions.

NCMedic
06-11-2013, 19:01
I am thinking of more of getting a local flavor of the area before hiking. I am planning a couple of extra days at BSP to explore around and was thinking of possibly jumping up to Bar HArbor as well. I don't have a locked in stone itinerary but was looking to do it on the cheap as to not blow a budget.

FWO
06-11-2013, 20:17
I spend most of my vacations in Bangor. I would move in a heart beat if I could land a job like my current one. I took a month off and stayed just outside of bangor in Glenburn. Loved ever day. But I had a car and was able to explore on my own. Lake water rat said, Acadia is a great place.

BigHodag
06-11-2013, 21:16
Why don't you:

"Join the Maine Trail Crew and work on Maine's Appalachian Trail. Help preserve this precious and wild resource for future generations of hikers. An Enthusiastic staff awaits your arrival and is looking forward to building trail with you."

Benefits
--------
Transportation to and from Bangor International Airport
All meals are provided, including off time between work sessions
Stay in mountain-side campsites
Receive a Maine Trail Crew t-shirt
Feel great about what you have done for the AT

June 15 to August 10, 2013 - You are welcome to join us for one or more weeks! Sorry, no pets are allowed.

http://www.ecoemploy.com/jobs/seasonal1212.html

NCMedic
06-11-2013, 21:21
Now that is an interesting idea! That may work!!

peakbagger
06-12-2013, 06:39
Bangor is nice town to spend a day in but the MATC option is going to get you in great shape for a thru hike and you will get to meet a lot of folks who are hikers plus some locals who can give you some local flavor.

Bangor has a very active summer concert series on the waterfront

It is worth spending a few days in Baxter State Park. You can normally hitch as 90% of the traffic goes to the main gate. There are some real nice backcountry spots like Russell Pond that are worth a hike on what are basically old logging roads. Probably one of the most spectacular ways to start a thru hike would be to hike into Russell Pond one day and the next day hike south via the recently reopened Northern Peaks trail, which traverses the Howe Peaks (all about treeline) to the summit and then hike down the AT (Hunt trail) to KSC. This route maximizes the amount of time you are up above treeline and the area north of Hamlin is very rarely visited so you may have the area to yourself. The alternative is to see if you can score a cancelation at Davis Pond and hike up out of the Northwest Basin.

Water Rat
06-12-2013, 07:48
Why don't you:

"Join the Maine Trail Crew and work on Maine's Appalachian Trail. Help preserve this precious and wild resource for future generations of hikers. An Enthusiastic staff awaits your arrival and is looking forward to building trail with you."

Benefits
--------
Transportation to and from Bangor International Airport
All meals are provided, including off time between work sessions
Stay in mountain-side campsites
Receive a Maine Trail Crew t-shirt
Feel great about what you have done for the AT

June 15 to August 10, 2013 - You are welcome to join us for one or more weeks! Sorry, no pets are allowed.

http://www.ecoemploy.com/jobs/seasonal1212.html

Shoot! I might have to look into this, myself. Thanks for posting this information. :)

Bangor is fun for a day, or so... But it doesn't sound like NCMEDIC will have transportation to get to the fun places and still use Bangor as a basecamp. What about spending a say, or two, at Acadia. Then, participate as a trail crew member?

You can catch the Bar Harbor Shuttle from Bangor International (www.barharborshuttle.com (http://www.barharborshuttle.com)) to Bar Harbor and then camp at Blackwoods and use the Island Explorer shuttle to get around the island... Take the shuttle back to the airport and get picked up by the Maine Trail Crew.

BradMT
06-12-2013, 08:49
While Bar Harbor gets the lion's-share of attention, the Schoodic Point/Winter Harbor side is great with far less people.