PDA

View Full Version : Leaving in 2 weeks, gear shakedown.

wesleygalles
06-11-2013, 15:03
I don't have weights on anything because I don't have a scale. This list is comprised mostly of things I saw other thruhikers carrying, feel free to tell me if I should drop some stuff or keep some stuff. Thanks!

Shelter
Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym Classic

Hennessy Hammock Hex Rainfly 30D Silnylon

CCF Sleeping Pad

Inflatable Pillow

Marmot Sawtooth 15* Down Bag

4 Tent stakes

Clothing
3 Polyester shirts

Knit Cap

BCG Hiking Running Shorts

Reebok Compression Shorts

2 Pair ExOfficio briefs

1 Rain Jacket

World Wide Sportmans Convertible Pants

1 REI Nylon Belt

2 Pair Darn Tough Socks

1 Fleece Jacket

Bandana

Head Net

1 Pair Flip flops for camp

Kitchen
MSR “Pocket Rocket”

MSR Isopro Fuel Canister

Snow Peak Titanium Trek 700

Spork

Magnesium Fire Steel

Portable Aqua or Aquamira

2 small BIC lighters
Miscellaneous
Gerber Fixed Blade Knife with Sheath

Ativa Portable Battery Backup

Outdoor Products Trekking Poles (Pair)

Black Diamond Headlamp

Outdoor Products Dry Bags (2 boxes, 6 bags)

Ascend Pack Cover

Gear Ties

Jungle Juice 98% Deet Bug Repellent

GO Phone
100 Foot Paracord

Camelbak 3 Liter Bladder

REI Crestrail 70

AT Guide

Journal and pen

Hygiene
1 Travel size bar of soap
1 Toothbrush
1 Travel size tube of toothpaste
First Aid Kit

hikerboy57
06-11-2013, 15:12
list looks fine. swap out the spork for a long handled titanium spork or spoon, much handier for freezer bags or mountain house, helps keep the food off your forearms.id also ditch the magnesium firestarter, take either vaseline coated cotton balls for tinder, or add a small bottle of hand sanitizer, an excellent firestarter.50ft paracord is more than enough.

wesleygalles
06-11-2013, 15:18
I don't actually have a scale, but I feel like I'm at about 35 pounds, does that sound reasonable?

wesleygalles
06-11-2013, 15:19
Edit: That's 35 pounds with 10 days worth of food.

Ironbelly
06-12-2013, 18:36
Why compression shorts and the exofficio briefs?

You could make do without the shorts if you want since your pants are convertible.

I would ditch one of the shirts, no need for 3. Hike in 1, sleep in 1 and wear the sleep one in town if wanted.

Recommend a bottle of hand sanitizer

Ditch 50ft of the paracord or all of the paracord and buy some mason line from the hardware store for a few bucks, same strength, much much lighter.

You may want to add a simple gatoraid bottle etc instead of just having the camelbak

You may want to add one of those blue dish sponges, cut in half if you prefer. But they are awesome for cleaning yourself up out on the trail and weigh next to nothing.

John B
06-12-2013, 19:07
A travel-size spool of dental floss. I'd do maybe 25 ft paracord at most. Wrap a couple of feet of duct tape around a hiking pole or GatorAde bottle -- stuff has a million uses, everything from repairing a tent tear to covering blisters on your feet.

MuddyWaters
06-12-2013, 23:18
The post office has a scale, and its free to use.
The poly bins they have laying around for mail work good to hold things like a pack while weighing too.

AngryGerman
06-13-2013, 10:57
I don't have weights on anything because I don't have a scale. This list is comprised mostly of things I saw other thruhikers carrying, feel free to tell me if I should drop some stuff or keep some stuff. Thanks!

Shelter
Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym Classic

Hennessy Hammock Hex Rainfly 30D Silnylon

CCF Sleeping Pad

Inflatable Pillow

Marmot Sawtooth 15* Down Bag

4 Tent stakes - ditch, not required with your hammock setup.

Clothing
3 Polyester shirts - Ditch one, wear one carry one.

Knit Cap

BCG Hiking Running Shorts

Reebok Compression Shorts

2 Pair ExOfficio briefs - Leave behind

1 Rain Jacket

World Wide Sportmans Convertible Pants - leave behind and replace w/ running leggings

1 REI Nylon Belt - leave behind

2 Pair Darn Tough Socks - wear one carry one

1 Fleece Jacket

Bandana

Head Net - subjective to when you start

1 Pair Flip flops for camp - cheap Walmart flip-flops

Kitchen
MSR “Pocket Rocket”

MSR Isopro Fuel Canister - Consider a homemade cat-can stove and a 20oz. bottle of fuel, much lighter than your current setup.

Snow Peak Titanium Trek 700

Spork - replace w/ a long handled spork or spoon

Magnesium Fire Steel - leave behind if your carrying two lighters

Portable Aqua or Aquamira

2 small BIC lighters
Miscellaneous
Gerber Fixed Blade Knife with Sheath - consider a small Swiss Army knife

Ativa Portable Battery Backup

Outdoor Products Trekking Poles (Pair)

Black Diamond Headlamp

Outdoor Products Dry Bags (2 boxes, 6 bags) - replace with trash compactor bagsx2 and ziploc bags for your clothes and various other items. I used a 10L Sea to Summit dry sack for my food.

Ascend Pack Cover - use trash compactor bags as a pack liner and ditch this.

Gear Ties

Jungle Juice 98% Deet Bug Repellent - Try using "Ben's Natrapel"; works way better than deet IMO

GO Phone
100 Foot Paracord - Make two survival bracelets; one w/the guts in it and one w/o the guts in it.

Camelbak 3 Liter Bladder - replace w/ two Platypus 1L bladders and one Smart Water bottle(1L)

REI Crestrail 70

AT Guide

Journal and pen

Hygiene
1 Travel size bar of soap - replace with hand sanitizer
1 Toothbrush - cut the handle down
1 Travel size tube of toothpaste
First Aid Kit - 1wks worth of pain meds, a few different types of band aids, couple safety pins, one small pr. tick tweezers and some cut ointment
It has also been said before, wrap duct tape around your trekking poles. Be a gram and ounce weenie when it comes to gear; the less gear you carry the more food you can carry. Also, weigh comfort of said items vs. discomfort of carrying said items. Good luck and keep on walking until you reach the other end!