PDA

View Full Version : Guide book recommendations

TurboPants
06-11-2013, 16:11
Should I go ahead and buy a 2013 AWOL guide book for planning a 2014 NoBo? I figure as changes and updates are released I can just write them in. I don't see any way of planning the 2200 mile trip w/out having the terrain and town maps in front of you. I wasn't sure when AWOL releases his new books so for all I know the new 2014 NoBo guide book may be available in July, but I doubt it. At this time, would you just buy the 2013 book and call it a day? Thanks all!

moldy
06-11-2013, 17:15
You should wait and order your 2014 book Next January when it comes out. You will want the latest info available. I can see why it's turbopants. A good look at all the internet sites will give you most of what you need for now. For the rest you can ask here.

kidchill
06-11-2013, 18:33
Yah, and not to rain on your parade, but there really isn't much planning to do. I would just worry about getting to Springer. The first outfitter/supplier is like 31 miles from Springer Mountain. Bring enough food to make those miles and you'll be fine. I know it sounds cynical, but I saw guys that spread-sheeted their entire hike with an agenda and it went out the window the first few days. Bring enough food to hit the next town, when you hit the town, buy enough food to hit the next town...If you get the new edition in Jan, you'll have plenty of time to look through it. If you just wanna know now, go ahead and buy it, it's only like $15 or $20 and not much info will change. The trail will probably get a little longer...just for you! lol

max patch
06-11-2013, 18:53
Yah, and not to rain on your parade, but there really isn't much planning to do. I would just worry about getting to Springer. The first outfitter/supplier is like 31 miles from Springer Mountain. Bring enough food to make those miles and you'll be fine. I know it sounds cynical, but I saw guys that spread-sheeted their entire hike with an agenda and it went out the window the first few days. Bring enough food to hit the next town, when you hit the town, buy enough food to hit the next town...If you get the new edition in Jan, you'll have plenty of time to look through it. If you just wanna know now, go ahead and buy it, it's only like $15 or $20 and not much info will change. The trail will probably get a little longer...just for you! lol

Can't disagree with anything there.

You will want to carry a 2014 book. If you feel the need to look at 2013 book now its not necessary but were talking $15 which in the context of a 6 month unpaid vacation is insignificant.

The only planning you need to do has nothing to do with the trail. How are you gonna pay the bills, what happens to the dog, what do you do with your mail, what do you do about your car, who watches the house and cuts the grass, etc. Make sure the home stuff is covered. Life on the trail is easy.

MuddyWaters
06-11-2013, 21:10
You are going to go on a 6 mo, $5000 hike, and you dont want to spend $12 on a new guidebook?

Really. Dont be ridiculous.

Buy the current one and start planning, buy the up to date next yr. If its out of your price range, you might reconsider the hike.

TurboPants
06-11-2013, 22:38
MuddyWaters, it's a 4 mo hike for me and will be around $3500. But you are right. The $15 for a book isn't really my concern as much as incorrect data to base a trip on. That's far more important than $15. I would doubt that much can change on the trail map in a years time but in this economy it wouldn't surprise me to see a few dozen hostels close the doors. I'm shocked they are still in business as is.

Anyway I think it's worth the gamble to just get the 2013 book and start planning ahead! Before coming to WB everyone said the companion was the book to have but at $300+ I can't imagine that justifies the cost. Seems everyone I've come across on the trail had the AWOL book and was content.

max patch
06-11-2013, 22:48
Before coming to WB everyone said the companion was the book to have but at $300+ I can't imagine that justifies the cost

The Companion and AWOLs book are similar in content and price.

You must be referring to the complete set of ATC state guidebooks and maps when you reference a price of $300.

shelb
06-11-2013, 23:05
While the ATC Guidebooks and maps are cool to see the topography, I feel the AWOL guide is sufficient.

My suggestion: Go on a Shakedown Hike in a 40-100 mile section, bringing topography maps. Otherwise, don't bother!

MuddyWaters
06-11-2013, 23:43
Awols guide is fine.

Except for when you get to New Hampshire. A better map of the whites is almost necessary there.

Dont expect many changes yr to yr, but take the most up to date data you can get. Even by the time you hike there will be changes to the 2014, reroutes, closings, new facilities, etc.

Sly
06-12-2013, 07:04
Should I go ahead and buy a 2013 AWOL guide book for planning a 2014 NoBo? I figure as changes and updates are released I can just write them in. I don't see any way of planning the 2200 mile trip w/out having the terrain and town maps in front of you. I wasn't sure when AWOL releases his new books so for all I know the new 2014 NoBo guide book may be available in July, but I doubt it. At this time, would you just buy the 2013 book and call it a day? Thanks all!

If you want to save a couple bucks, buy an $8 Thru-Hikers' Companion in PDF (http://www.aldha.org/companion.html) for planning and AWOL's Guide (if you must) for the actual hike.

Trillium
06-12-2013, 11:07
If you want to save a couple bucks, buy an $8 Thru-Hikers' Companion in PDF (http://www.aldha.org/companion.html) for planning and AWOL's Guide (if you must) for the actual hike.Turbopants, I would rather purchase a Companion and support ALDHA which is updated by all the wonderful hikers who send info to the editor, which I did, than a single hiker. The Companion is more than adequate if you have a set of maps which is definitely recommended.

slbirdnerd
06-12-2013, 11:54
AT Guide is also available in PDF for like $8 or $9 I think. I like this book.

bigcranky
06-12-2013, 13:04
+1 Buy the PDF version for half price for planning, then buy the paper version next spring before you leave.

Cookerhiker
06-12-2013, 13:44
...My suggestion: Go on a Shakedown Hike in a 40-100 mile section, bringing topography maps. Otherwise, don't bother!

I disagree about not bringing maps. This subject comes up time and again. If you know for a fact that you won't have to take unplanned/emergency detours off the trail, then you may not need maps. But the more realistic scenario is that at some point(s) during the course of your hike, you'll want to consult a map. You can buy the mapsets without the individual sectional guidebooks, thus saving some $$$. You might also be able to get recent-enough maps through e-Bay or Amazon.

I'm becoming more hardline on this admittedly. If I'm out hiking and a thruhiker asks me to look at my map because he chose not to bring any, I'm inclined to refuse. Live with the consequences.

Turbopants, I would rather purchase a Companion and support ALDHA which is updated by all the wonderful hikers who send info to the editor, which I did, than a single hiker. The Companion is more than adequate if you have a set of maps which is definitely recommended.

Well-said.:)

hikerboy57
06-12-2013, 14:01
not much to plan except maybe maildrops, and you can ge the info you need in the articles on the home page for resupply.awols guide is more complete than the companion for the trail itself
outside of maildrops, what other planning do you need?