PDA

View Full Version : Need help retrieving pack at Fontana/Smokies after Medical Emergency

JerseyBoy
06-11-2013, 22:16
This morning due to a severe medical emergency (huge kidney stone and the sickness that goes with it) I had to abandoned my pack within the first 8 miles of the Smokies from Fontana Dam trailhead. Yes, the pain was sufficient to warrant such action.

I'm in Bryson City now after going to the hospital here, and still need a couple of days to recover and pee out the last 2 stones. I'm hoping to find someone willing to hike the 6-8 miles up out of Fontana, grab my stuff, and bring it to me either at Fontana or Bryson City.

For this I would be willing to give $100 upon delivery for your time and effort. It's in a very specific, easy to find location.

Please let me know if you are willing to do this, or can suggest who I should contact (possible trail/ridge runners). Email me at [email protected].

Thank you.

slbirdnerd
06-12-2013, 12:05
Not nearby or I'd try to help! Hope you get better quick and can get back out.

HooKooDooKu
06-12-2013, 12:44
Sorry I can't help you directly.

But I did want to point out that Fontana Dam is a relatively remote section of the GSMNP.

However, your description makes it sound like your pack is located somewhere between Doe Knob and Mollies Ridge Shelter. If so, it should be noted that Doe Knob is about as far away from Fontana Dam as it is from the Gregory Ridge Trail Head in Cades Cove (a section of the park that is much more frequented).

So anyone with plans to be in Cades Cove could potentially help.