PDA

View Full Version : What size tarp?

Krista
06-12-2013, 13:20
Hey,
What size tarp do I need if I'm sleeping in a bug net shelter with a 3'6" height? This is the bug net thing I plan to use: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___84966?cm_vc=PDPZ2
Is 8x10 a good size? This tarp? http://www.amazon.com/Equinox-145775-Egret-Tarps-10-Feet/dp/B00205GHZU/ref=sr_1_10?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1371056639&sr=1-10&keywords=tarps+for+camping

Thank you, WhiteBlaze!
K

FarmerChef
06-12-2013, 13:32
8x10 should do you fine. Your bug net shelter can drape a bit as you configure the tarp to your preferred (or necessary) pitch. 8x10 gives you enough space for you, your gear and a bit of wiggle room. I've stuffed 3 kids, 2 adults and one dog into my 10x12 during a fierce thunderstorm. One of the adults was an impromptu guest as he was not prepared for the coming weather. ;) 8x10 is plenty big for just one. :D

Feral Bill
06-12-2013, 15:01
8x10 works well for me. Plenty roomy, and works well with a bug net.

Dogwood
06-12-2013, 15:08
8x10 is huge. Let's all head over to Krista's tarp palace!

Dogwood
06-12-2013, 15:10
I hope Equinox has done something to REALLY reinforce their grommets on their tarps. They have always ripped in short order for me. Krista makes sure you distribute tension evenly over all the grommets!

FarmerChef
06-12-2013, 15:28
Learn how to tie "ghosties" just in case. What's a ghosty? Well, take a small pebble or other non sharp but small object and put it under your tarp fabric. Now pull the fabric taught over the top of the object and gather the material under it forming a "ghost." Now tie your line around the object, cinching it tight underneath where the gathered fabric is. The size of the object will be too big to allow the knot to slide over it. Now you can put a tie out anywhere on the field of your tarp.

Feral Bill
06-12-2013, 15:37
Learn how to tie "ghosties" just in case. What's a ghosty? Well, take a small pebble or other non sharp but small object and put it under your tarp fabric. Now pull the fabric taught over the top of the object and gather the material under it forming a "ghost." Now tie your line around the object, cinching it tight underneath where the gathered fabric is. The size of the object will be too big to allow the knot to slide over it. Now you can put a tie out anywhere on the field of your tarp.

This definitely adds to the versatility of any tarp. Those on a budget can use any 4-6 mil plastic with them and do fine.

Two Speed
06-12-2013, 15:40
I hope Equinox has done something to REALLY reinforce their grommets on their tarps. They have always ripped in short order for me. Krista makes sure you distribute tension evenly over all the grommets!Oware (http://shop.bivysack.com/category.sc;jsessionid=57DEA8B30FECBD85ECE5232EBD0 8CDD2.m1plqscsfapp05?categoryId=6)

Dave will treat you right.

Krista
06-12-2013, 16:28
8x10 is huge. Let's all head over to Krista's tarp palace!

What's the minimum size I can get away with??

Thanks guys!
K

Krista
06-12-2013, 16:35
I hope Equinox has done something to REALLY reinforce their grommets on their tarps. They have always ripped in short order for me. Krista makes sure you distribute tension evenly over all the grommets!

Can you suggest a better tarp that's not super expensive? I was thinking about this http://www.mec.ca/product/5012-442/integral-designs-silponcho-tarp/ but its more expensive BUT I could ditch my raincoat.

Dogwood
06-12-2013, 16:39
Oware (http://shop.bivysack.com/category.sc;jsessionid=57DEA8B30FECBD85ECE5232EBD0 8CDD2.m1plqscsfapp05?categoryId=6)

Dave will treat you right.

Absolutely! Dave did a Cat Tarp for me with a few mods. GREAT customer service. He answered all my emails promptly and did very good work! He got it to me in about 4 days even w/ the mods. I got it in a silny 9 oz version from Oware for $98! At some of the prices for Oware's tarps IMHO I feel they can be a GREAT low cost UL BETTER MADE tarp PERFECT for someone just trying out tarps to see if they are worth adding to their shelter line up BEFORE possibly moving on to pricier cuben tarps or a minimalist sized tarp in a super UL wt. Nothing against Equinox flat tarps but for a bit more $ Oware makes a more durable and lighter wt tarp! Whenever you can get lighter wt with greater durability in an UL product that's a double plus in the right direction in my opinion.

Good tip w/the "Ghosties"

FarmerChef
06-12-2013, 16:39
Krista - a 6x8 tarp would be acceptable though if you are tall it can sometimes be hard to get all the way in away from ground spray. That's more of a pitching issue than a space issue though. Have you considered sewing your own tarp? It's really quite easy and would only take an afternoon with a sewing machine, some grossgrain and your silnylon. All you'd have to do is hem all the edges, sew in your tie outs (and reinforcing patches if you choose to use them). You don't have to worry about special cuts (such as catenary) unless you really want to. Just a thought.

Dogwood
06-12-2013, 17:02
Krista that size 8X10 sounds fine. It's a plus having that extra coverage for gear, etc and as a person new to tarping. You're also in CAN where heavy rain, additional weather elements, insects, etc will be encountered. I tried pulling up the Campmoor bug net system you listed but wasn't able.

MAYBE, some have figured out how a poncho can double as a tarp in heavy rain WITHOUT getting drenched when you go to erect the poncho as a tarp but I haven't figured out how to do it. When ponchos are used as tarps they tend to be smallish as far as coverage too IMHO which I think you should avoid when starting out with tarps.

Dogwood
06-12-2013, 17:06
IMHO, it can be a mistake starting out with tarps by immediately opting for a TOO SMALL a coverage/minimalist style tarp especially if encountering inclement weather situations.

FarmerChef
06-12-2013, 17:15
IMHO, it can be a mistake starting out with tarps by immediately opting for a TOO SMALL a coverage/minimalist style tarp especially if encountering inclement weather situations.

Good point, Dogwood. It takes practice to pitch a tarp and even more to pitch it fast when the weather isn't cooperating (wind and/or rain).

Feral Bill
06-12-2013, 17:17
A few decades ago, before it had a floor, a friend and I were camping at West Mountain Shelter. The shelter was flooded, so we both slept in the rain under my 6x8 tarp. We slept okay, but I do not recommend such a small tarp, even for one.

Abner
06-12-2013, 22:44
I've been a tarpist for 30 years. I personally like a twelve by ten. And I prefer all my tarps with "batwings," or some dedicated closure for the open ends in inclement weather. See Ray Jardine's website for description of batwings. When it really starts a howling rain you will like a tarp that you can pitch within an inch or two above the ground on both sides, and still give you enough headroom to sit up in. If your ridgeline is ten feet you are going to need some tarp material that serves to "plug" either end from blowing rain. That's why I like twelve feet for the ridgeline. I mean really does a couple extra square feet of material add that much of a burden to your back, when you are already going to carry at least ten by ten feet of material. My personal answer is "no" and I have used a tarp extensively. Ten by ten with no provisions for the open ends has left me with blown in rain on me and my sleeping bag.

daddytwosticks
06-13-2013, 07:19
I've got great service from my Campmor (Equinox) sil-nylon 8X10 tarp with gromments. Good value for the money IMHO. :)

coach lou
06-13-2013, 07:42
22067 Campmor 8X10 sil-nylon with a Military surplus bug net strung under it, very versatile. When weather is really bad I close off one end with my poncho. The 'Ghosties' are tied off with a clove hitch. I don't think I've ever backpacked with a tent!:D

stranger
06-13-2013, 09:08
With that bug net you will have to set up an A frame, I would get something custom from Bear Paw Wilderness Designs, like 9 feet long, width at head 8 feet, width at feet 6 feet, with beaks...his prices are good and he welcomes custom work.

Also check out the bug shelters from Yama Mountain Designs, more expensive but more functional in my view.

stranger
06-13-2013, 09:11

Agreed...grommets in a ultralight tarp are silly, think about it, to grommet something you need to cut a hole through it...why companies don't use webbing is beyond me!