PDA

View Full Version : matthewski looking for angle invester to buy the doyle

mweinstone
06-12-2013, 13:36
the doyle needs work. i can do the work. i need angles

Astro
06-12-2013, 13:40
Matthewski, don't you mean "Angel" investors? :)

Rasty
06-12-2013, 13:48

What kind of work? Between the AT Community every trade must be represented.

I will throw in an 90 degree angle if needed!

MkBibble
06-12-2013, 14:08
Matthewski, I'm sorry to say that I can't help much with your Doyle project, but I DO want to say that I have missed your posts. Glad to see that you're still alive!

Malto
06-12-2013, 14:38
Sounds like he needs money not help?

Feral Bill
06-12-2013, 14:55
For a person with money to risk, (not me, for sure) this could be interesting.

Astro
06-12-2013, 14:58
Matthewski, I'm sorry to say that I can't help much with your Doyle project, but I DO want to say that I have missed your posts. Glad to see that you're still alive!

We know we are getting old when people tell us that they are glad to see we are still alive. :rolleyes:

flemdawg1
06-12-2013, 15:01
We know we are getting old when people tell us that they are glad to see we are still alive. :rolleyes:

Old people, you have to reassure them.

Odd Man Out
06-12-2013, 15:03
Old people, you have to reassure them.

His profile says he's 52. That's old? I'm in trouble.

Old Hiker
06-12-2013, 15:12
His profile says he's 52. That's old? I'm in trouble.

I'll see your 54 and raise you two.

I'm bent, but I'm no angle. If a serious offer, I may have a donation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEP_dPN3Haw

Water Rat
06-12-2013, 15:22
Not to be a killjoy... What is the total cost needed to purchase the Doyle and cover the cost of materials? That has not yet been addressed. There probably are many who would be willing to donate toward the cause, but where would they donate and how would they know their money would be used toward the purchase and fixing up of the Doyle?

Dreams are awesome and I am certainly not trying to squash anyone's dream! It just seems that some of the important information is missing...

Slo-go'en
06-12-2013, 16:51
To say the Doyle needs some work is an understatement. It needs to be gutted and rebuilt. To do that would take some serious money, which there is little chance of ever recouping. I doubt anything in that place comes even close to meeting modern building codes...

BZ853
06-12-2013, 16:56
What is the Doyle?

FarmerChef
06-12-2013, 17:17
The Doyle is a famous hotel (famous with hikers that is) in Duncannon, PA.

Tractor
06-12-2013, 17:19
( a qwick opinion/answer ) The Doyle is the most wonderful dive I have ever had the pleasure of staying! Great folks then and hopefully more great folks in the future.....

Tractor
06-12-2013, 17:22
Not just a hiker angle. Maybe a biker angle too?

Slo-go'en
06-12-2013, 17:23
What is the Doyle?

The Doyle is a hotel in Duncannon, PA. AT hikers have been passing through there since forever. It was built around the turn of the century by Anheuser-Busch, which of course, featured thier beer in the bar. At one time, there were quite a few of these types of hotels around. The Dolye is one of the last remaining Anheiser-Busch hotels, so it has some historical value. However, the building being over 100 years old and having gone through some very rough times with little or no up keep, the place is literally falling apart.

I'm glad I first experianced the Doyle back in the late 80's, before the latest renovations ruined much of its original character. If someone had a lot of money to spend, it would be great to have the place restored to it's original splender.

Tractor
06-12-2013, 17:29
There's the twist. If the Doyle were to be "restored to it's original splender" (which would be neat) then I can't see how it could then be hiker friendly...........unless there was another angle/angel

Slo-go'en
06-12-2013, 17:44
There's the twist. If the Doyle were to be "restored to it's original splender" (which would be neat) then I can't see how it could then be hiker friendly...........unless there was another angle/angel

In the interest of historical continuity, a few rooms could be left in thier current state for thru-hikers :)

Tractor
06-12-2013, 17:48
I like it! No. I love that!

Del Q
06-12-2013, 19:40
Hi Matthewski..............this is even above "angels"..........whole new level

What kind of money are you thinking that it would take?
How many strucutral issues are there really?

Ditto that, nice to hear from you.............

Wise Old Owl
06-12-2013, 22:32
what Matty is looking for is silent investors... takes cultivation...FYI - the Doyle will require lots of money if it changes hands, to meet code.

chief
06-13-2013, 00:57
Extreme Makeover is gonna call any minute now.

Lone Wolf
06-13-2013, 06:22
demolish it. start from scratch

mrcoffeect
06-13-2013, 06:35
hey lone wolf. hotels are for weenies.:D

tridavis
06-13-2013, 09:26
How about turning to A-B. If this truly is one of the last of its type they might be interested.

Pedaling Fool
06-13-2013, 10:07
So what's the status? Is the Doyle now closed? Or do they have a date to close it down?

Grampie
06-13-2013, 10:15
demolish it. start from scratch

Lone Wolf I hope you don't mean what you said. You wouldn't say the same about Dot's. They are both AT land marks and should exist as long as posiable.

Sly
06-13-2013, 10:19
It would take better part of $1 million to do the Doyle right. I'll add it to my list if I ever hit Powerball.

Double Wide
06-13-2013, 10:26
Too be fair, Lone Wolf has advocated demolishing all privies, so, demolishing the Doyle probably wouldn't be too much of a stretch.... :D

Mfrenchy
06-13-2013, 10:44
If you are serious, put it on Kickstarter.com

zelph
06-13-2013, 10:57
Looks pretty good:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cOGeAemCdU

rocketsocks
06-13-2013, 11:00
How about turning to A-B. If this truly is one of the last of its type they might be interested.
that's what I was thinkin.....

Lone Wolf
06-13-2013, 11:20
Lone Wolf I hope you don't mean what you said. You wouldn't say the same about Dot's. They are both AT land marks and should exist as long as posiable.

of course i meant it. it would be cheaper in the long run. and i don't care about dot's. haven't been in there in over a year

Astro
06-13-2013, 18:30
Matthewski, some solid ideas here. First approaching AB, I believe the Busch family recently sold out, so you might not have the sentimental angle you would have had a few years ago. But this still could be great publicity for them, and potential for some interesting commercials.

Second kickstarter.com could help you raise a lot of money from WB and ATC members and people who have hike the AT. Get lots of people to donate $5, 10, 20, etc.. and then have some big boys (like AB, hiking gear companies, etc..) match that.

Thanks for throwing this out there. It will be interesting to see what else the community can come up with. :cool:

rocketsocks
06-14-2013, 00:10
To say the Doyle needs some work is an understatement. It needs to be gutted and rebuilt. To do that would take some serious money, which there is little chance of ever recouping. I doubt anything in that place comes even close to meeting modern building codes...Right you are, and in most cases once a certain % of renovation is reached/needed/or desired, the entire building is to be brought up to code...in this day and age, not cheap....now making repairs are a different story all together, and don't generally require permits depending on what it is...

Bronk
06-14-2013, 04:50
Anheyser Busch isn't going to write a check to some guy they don't know to restore a hotel they used to own unless it is just a token amount. If they were really interested they'd buy the place and fix it up themselves.

rocketsocks
06-14-2013, 08:04
Anheyser Busch isn't going to write a check to some guy they don't know to restore a hotel they used to own unless it is just a token amount. If they were really interested they'd buy the place and fix it up themselves.
Perhaps if there were a great human interest story associated with doing so would/could foster a ad campaign...perhaps there's an add executive/or creactive amongst our ranks to pitch it.....

rocketsocks
06-14-2013, 08:04
Perhaps if there were a great human interest story associated with doing so would/could foster a ad campaign...perhaps there's an add executive/or creactive amongst our ranks to pitch it.....A habitat for humanity if you will.

max patch
06-14-2013, 10:02
this thread needs to be in the humor section.

yaduck9
06-14-2013, 11:36

Angles...........get a tie in with the bill bryson based movie, whats a letter to the executive producer cost, some time, a stamp, an envelope. low risk, low probability, but a possible big payout..........

Another........This Old House......The Doyle is old, ties in with Americana, ties in with the AT, and again, whats a letter, or short video going to cost......

Throw in a couple of Trail Legends into the mix.............the angles are endless:sun

Almost There
06-14-2013, 12:17
Keep dreamin' y'all, but nobody with money is going to invest tens of thousands of dollars or more in a backwater town with no upside. As for hikers coming to the rescue...most don't have that kind of money for a reason, their priorities are on quality of life and not money. Good Luck, though!

fredmugs
06-14-2013, 14:09
Angles...........get a tie in with the bill bryson based movie, whats a letter to the executive producer cost, some time, a stamp, an envelope. low risk, low probability, but a possible big payout..........

Another........This Old House......The Doyle is old, ties in with Americana, ties in with the AT, and again, whats a letter, or short video going to cost......

Throw in a couple of Trail Legends into the mix.............the angles are endless:sun

Great idea. Get Bryson involved. He can get the job 65% complete and then write a book about how the government prevented him from finishing it.

yaduck9
06-14-2013, 14:12
Great idea. Get Bryson involved. He can get the job 65% complete and then write a book about how the government prevented him from finishing it.

Thanks, I am happy to facilitate your snarkiness:D

Astro
06-14-2013, 16:13

fredmugs, That was really good! :clap:clap:clap

WalksInDark
06-14-2013, 17:33
The Doyle renovation idea has possibilities.:-?

Unfortunately, in order to get folks like me to throw their money in as "donations" most of us would want to see a detailed plan...as well as some guarantees that once the renovations are undertaken/completed the structure will continue to operate well into the future.

The last thing I want to do is be a "shill" for the Doyle renovation fundraising project..and find out that place is going to be sold or demolished anyway.

Based upon my cursory inspection of the Doyle (completed while having a burger and cold soda; the waiting for a ride with a trail angel), I too would expect that hundreds of thousands of dollars could go into the place before you even got to the "major renovation" work.

Mother Natures Son
06-14-2013, 19:15
I'm in the construction field. While I haven't been in the Doyles in over ten years, I know any current public building like that would be shut down because of numerous code violations. All this reminds me of how bad the Ironmasters Hostel (Pine Grove State Park) was before it was shut down and then reopend by its current owners. The price tag to bring that building up to code and repair it because of the years of neglect and wear and tear was astronomical. The only way they pulled it off was intense lobbying for state and local grants and a lot of political influence to get the job done in a little over a year. From what I saw in the video, the Doyles is in ten times worse shape than Ironmasters was. Realistically, I don't know if it can be pulled off. Perhaps if we're seriously interested in saving the Doyles, we should consider contacting the group that now owns Ironmasters to see if they might be interested in saving this Old Lady of the Trail.

Toolshed
06-17-2013, 00:57
I had forgotten about the Doyle until I sae that Staiwell in Zelph's video...Then it all came rushing back!! :)

Half Note
06-27-2013, 20:36
I actually met Matthewski in Duncannon, I couldn't believe it. The Doyle definitely needs a lot of work, I'd start with the AC.

Wise Old Owl
06-27-2013, 20:52
There was AC?

Lone Wolf
06-27-2013, 20:53
There was AC?never.........

Wise Old Owl
06-27-2013, 21:01
Oh good... now I understand.

illabelle
06-27-2013, 21:04
I actually met Matthewski in Duncannon, I couldn't believe it. The Doyle definitely needs a lot of work, I'd start with the AC.

Seems like a vacuum cleaner and some rags would be a good place to begin.

Then take one room, paint it, and replace the carpet. Then another and another. Doesn't address the code issues, or the plumbing, but at least you would feel like you could sit down.

weary
06-28-2013, 12:05
I'll see your 54 and raise you two.

I'm bent, but I'm no angle. If a serious offer, I may have a donation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEP_dPN3Haw

I'll see your 54 and raise you 30. Having retired 22 years ago on a fixed, and not very big pension, I use any surplus on my local land trust trails, and Maine trails. But I enjoyed the Doyle greatly on my several visits, and thus hope that an angel responds.

ki0eh
06-28-2013, 13:13
Is it for sale or is this rhetorical? Pat and Vickey were very much around last week when I was there with Someday and HillBilly Bart.

Pedaling Fool
06-28-2013, 13:49
So what's the status? Is the Doyle now closed? Or do they have a date to close it down?

Is it for sale or is this rhetorical? Pat and Vickey were very much around last week when I was there with Someday and HillBilly Bart.
I asked a simalar question a while ago, never got an answer.

max patch
06-28-2013, 14:01
Consider the source. Do you really need to ask?

mkmangold
07-20-2013, 23:31
Me too, Matty!

IceAge
07-23-2013, 11:23
I just found out that one of my ancestors was a founding father of Duncannon. James Baskins founded Baskinsville which later became part of Duncannon. Unfortunately I haven't inherited any family fortune that would allow me to fund this enterprise.

turtle fast
07-23-2013, 15:13
Where many say its a total redo...you should get a second opinion. Much of the structure would be grandfathered for many things, but an electrical/plumbing/fire alarm redo would be in order. The removal of internal structures may not be necessary unless structurally unsound. A good cleaning and some intelligent paint choices....along with refinishing the floors would go a long way.

Bucketfoot
07-23-2013, 23:18
What do hikers pay to stay there now?I am sure that if it were restored they would be paying a lot more.It would be a completely different experience.

10-K
07-24-2013, 18:41
I just found out that one of my ancestors was a founding father of Duncannon. James Baskins founded Baskinsville which later became part of Duncannon. Unfortunately I haven't inherited any family fortune that would allow me to fund this enterprise.

Maybe he founded Baskin-Robbins too... :) Might get a free cone on your birthday at the very least.

Del Q
07-24-2013, 19:09
Matty...........how about the outdoor, rich, gear companies ENDORSE THE DOYLE. $10,000 each. Exclusive by category marketing opportunities

Or, crowdfunding.............anyone who has ever stayed (ate or drank there) there that would not donate $25-$50 should be deleted from WB

Q

Hoofit
07-24-2013, 19:37
Feel the same way - only more so about Doyles - shared some bourbon with Baltimore Jack at the bar last time I passed through , so much character in that place, has to be worth preserving...

Lone Wolf
07-24-2013, 20:23
- shared some bourbon with Baltimore Jack at the bar last time I passed through

no way! i bet you paid too :)

IceAge
07-25-2013, 09:34
I'll have to check into that! :cool:

Del Q
07-25-2013, 21:32
Like Lone Wolf (age wise), in my 54 years of life on this planet Earth, the Doyle is #1 in regard to the freakiest hotel place I ever spent a night at.

Lots of beers, shots, food, room, shower..........like $36 including a nice tip.............hikes NOBO in the rain the next morning after a great breakfast across the street leaving Duncannon happy. Door that would not lock, paranoid me............crammed the old chair under what door handle was available.

Was flying into Philly many months ago and flew over Harrisburg/Duncannon and just smiled.