PDA

View Full Version : Outfitter's Locations

Moose2001
01-02-2003, 19:02
Working on my plan for 2003, which I'm sure I'll dump as soon as I start. I'm planning on using AquaMira instead of a filter. I'm trying to reduce the number of maildrops and buy stuff locally. That got me thinking and looking at where all the outfitters are. Thought I'd post a list of where the ones are that I remember and see if you guys had any additons. Especially intersted in NH and ME since my 2001 trip ended before I got that far.

Walasi Yi
Franklin
NOC
Fontana Dam
Hot Springs
Damascus
Troutville
Waynesboro
Harper's Ferry
Port Clinton
Delaware Water Gap
Kent
Williamstown
Manchester Center
Sherburne Pass (Rutland, VT)
Hannover (I've heard this one is now closed??)
Gorham

Minerva
01-02-2003, 21:56
Front Royal has a new outfitter near the laudromat and health food store.

Lincoln, NH has a couple of outfitters.

Cin

peter2003
01-02-2003, 22:46
Check out the EMS at the Power House Mall in West Lebanon, NH (about 5 miles from Hanover, NH); they have a good gear selection and you don't pay a sales tax in NH.

Peaks
01-03-2003, 08:47
There is bus service between Hanover and the shopping areas in West Lebanon where the EMS is.

Also, Shaw's in Monson has a "gold" room with backpacking equipment.

Don't know what is at Steve Longley's place near Caratunk.

Blue Jay
01-03-2003, 11:32
There is another EMS just north of Pittsfield and just south of Cheshire Mass at the Birkshire Mall. They will pick you up and return you to either road crossing. You can often even talk them into a 10% discount, if you promise not to rat them out to the Manchester VT. EMS.

Jumpstart
01-03-2003, 14:55
There was new one in Daleville, VA this year...really nice people, and top-notch stuff.

Just an FYI..lots and lots of hikers this year used Aqua Mira, and as a result, the outfitters were CONSTANTLY out of it..they either had one bottle or not the other, or neither in stock, etc...and as a result of that we lent our filter out to LOTS of folks. One girl we hiked with could never seem to find it when she needed it, and we were in the middle of the pack the whole way. You might want to consider stocking up on it and putting it in your bounce box if that plans to be your only means of purifying :-)

Moose2001
01-03-2003, 17:09
Thanks Jumpstart for the heads up. Not what I really wanted to hear though but it's good to know. Might just have to rethink options on how to get AquaMira. Better to know now than not having it available on the trail.

PushingDaisies
01-03-2003, 21:18
Originally posted by Jumpstart

Just an FYI..lots and lots of hikers this year used Aqua Mira, and as a result, the outfitters were CONSTANTLY out of it..they either had one bottle or not the other, or neither in stock, etc...

Very true that many hikers used AquaMira this year (most were introduced to it at Neel's Gap). But AquaMira is sold in a set of two chems, so if the outfitter didn't have one they didn't have the other. One more thing - if you do use AM, make sure to rinse out your water containers often as the chem taste will accumulate.

As Jumpstart also stated, it would be a good idea to get a few sets if this is the way you want to go. Many of the outfitters that I talked to said they planned on ordering more of a stock for 2003. You might not have a problem if this is the case.

Moose- another outfitter to add to your list is the Happy Hiker in Gatlinburg. Barret, the owner, is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Jumpstart
01-04-2003, 10:42
Lot of the outfitters we dealt with this year were splitting up packages of Aquar Mira for needy hikers. Above and beyond the call of duty, if you ask me. Also, I second the Happy Hiker, those people were incredibly friendly, and Steve gave us a free (early-morning) ride back to the trail at Newfound Gap.