PDA

View Full Version : Frameless Pack Suggestions

redseal
06-12-2013, 19:03
So I am in the market for a new frameless pack. I have a few in mind. Can anyone recommend one over the others or have similar packs I should check out?

Granite Gear Virga
MLD Burn
ULA CDT

Thanks.

The Ace
06-12-2013, 20:51
You haven't mentioned volume, weight and price points, but you might check out the Gossamer Gear and Zpack and HMG offerings. You might also look at some of their offerings that have removable stays in case you want more options.

Slo-go'en
06-12-2013, 22:24
The Virga and CDT are about the same volume wise ~3200 cu-in, while the Burn is a full 1,000 cu-in smaller. Unless your going extrem minimualist, the Burn is mostly suited as a day pack.

I have a CDT and use it for sort summer hikes of one or two night duration. Personally, I like the design of the CDT over the Virga, which is why I have the CDT :)

daddytwosticks
06-13-2013, 07:21
Have an older model ULA Conduit (2008?). Love it. :)

CenAZwalker
06-14-2013, 13:52
You should give the Borah Gear Stealth some serious consideration. Here's a link to a write up I did on it. Great pack.
http://cenazwalker.wordpress.com/2013/03/07/borah-gear-stealth/

Shonryu
06-16-2013, 03:08
ULA CDT love the pack. I've had no issues with section hiking with it and loading up to 5 days worth of food between resupplies. Small packs make you weight conscious and keep you from loading it with a bunch of things you don't need. I would not recommend it if you don't have/ plan to use a UL setup. I think max base is around 10lbs and total weight around 25lbs but your really pushing it. I try to keep it under 20lbs and most packs in this range you will want to do the same. Also the Virga if I remember doesn't have much of a hipbelt. Depends on how you perfer to carry your loads. 3rd option I would avoid unless you know you can get your base to around around 7lbs or less and don't use a lot of things w volume.

Shonryu
06-16-2013, 03:16
I was we refering to option #2 in my last post.

redseal
06-17-2013, 21:05
Thanks for the tips. Maybe I will try out a CDT. Although the Ohm 2.0 looks nice as well :-)

Soulebrother
06-17-2013, 22:44
I am in the middle of a thru-hike and have been using the Granite Gear Virga for over 900 miles now and love it. I have a thermarest z-lite I put in the oak against my back to give it rigidity/support and it works perfectly. And granite gear has amazing customer service.

Lando11
06-18-2013, 10:27
I was making this same decision earlier this year, and ended up buying a GG Kumo. Love the features on the pack! If not the Kumo, I would have gone with the MLD burn. Either of these are the perfect size for any long hikes I plan on doing on the East Coast.
I didn't seriously consider the CDT or the Virga because I already have a frameless pack (older golite jam 2) that is pretty much the same size.

Ktaadn
06-18-2013, 14:59
I've had a Virga for a couple of years and I love it. It is really simple and easy to use. Doesn't have a single zipper on it.

redseal
06-18-2013, 17:00
Oh boy...more to think about! I wish it was easier to see these packs in person!

Dogwood
06-18-2013, 19:32
So I am in the market for a new frameless pack. I have a few in mind. Can anyone recommend one over the others or have similar packs I should check out?

Granite Gear Virga
MLD Burn
ULA CDT

Thanks.

Agreed, more info needed. Give us your priorities for a frameless pack. What are you attempting to achieve?

Oh boy...more to think about! I wish it was easier to see these packs in person!

Ain't gonna happen with ULA, MLD, and the Borah Stealth which is why it's all that much more important in getting your priorities and desires for a frameless backpack CLEAR BEFORE you buy.....unless you might like playing mail tag shipping unwanted packs pack and forth between the pack company and you!

daddytwosticks
06-18-2013, 19:47
Several quality outfitters down south here carry ULA packs that a hiker can see/feel/try on in person. Maybe some of the outfitters in the OP's neck of the woods carry them also? :)

Dogwood
06-18-2013, 20:06
I took notice of where the OP is from. If you know of a ULA dealer in Mass PLEASE inform me too. I didn't think there was one in Mass.

Wise Old Owl
06-18-2013, 20:27
Some frame-less have the same width of a rolled up Thermarest foam stuff and un-role and it works as a support anyway!

Drybones
06-18-2013, 20:46
These I own:
Deuter ACT 65
REI Flash 65
REI Flash 50
Gregory Z-pack
Granite Gear Crown 60
The Granite Gear Crown 60 is by far my favorite of the bunch...by far!

Dogwood
06-18-2013, 21:15
I think you would be hard pressed being allowed to carry on the Deuter and REI 65L and quite possibly the GG Crown 60L as I don't think they would meet the carry on size requirement max of United.

Dogwood
06-18-2013, 21:16
I think you would be hard pressed being allowed to carry on the Deuter and REI 65L and quite possibly the GG Crown 60L as I don't think they would meet the carry on size requirement max of United. WHEN FULLY LOADED.