PDA

View Full Version : Baaaaad Weather Coming

Mitey Mo
06-12-2013, 19:09
Does anyone remember the "derecho" of last June? Looks like another one is heading our way. I live in Northern Virginia and all kinds of weather warnings are coming out. I hope the hikers on the trail can find a way to get off for a day or two. I'm afraid there will be MUCH wind damage:eek:

johnnybgood
06-12-2013, 19:28
Hopefully the word can get out to Ridgerunners as these types of storms strengthen quickly, giving little warning. Last years Derecho caused significant damage throughout the state of Virginia.

HikerMom58
06-12-2013, 20:03
Does anyone remember the "derecho" of last June? Looks like another one is heading our way. I live in Northern Virginia and all kinds of weather warnings are coming out. I hope the hikers on the trail can find a way to get off for a day or two. I'm afraid there will be MUCH wind damage:eek:

I remember last year.. it's really hard to forget. My hiker friend came off the trail today b/c of this weather forecast so I think the hikers are aware of the storm warnings. I pray no one will be hurt, on the trail, from this storm.

moytoy
06-12-2013, 21:09
I am watching the noaa weather radar now. Looks like it could be nasty in Pa and Va tomorrow. Lickdale and Port Clinton have storm watch warnings out for tomorrow. Hopefully the hikers who left Duncannon yesterday will make it to Lickdale before the storm hits. Southern Pa. and N Va. are gonna get blasted.

Slo-go'en
06-12-2013, 21:17
I know a hiker who went home because he was tired of hiking in the rain --- good call! It sure has been a wild year for weather.

MDSection12
06-13-2013, 09:45
Dang, the worst of what's coming looks like it will be on top of the 'bubble' for thrus... I hope everybody hunkers down!

rocketsocks
06-13-2013, 11:13
Yep, I remember that last year....the whole thing (weather system) happened in a very short period of time and was not forecast till it was all most over, it caught many people of guard...including the national weather service. Usually wether systems travel at about 600 miles a day, (ie;Ohio to NJ) this coverd that distance in about 10 hours...crazy...stay safe today peoples!

rocketsocks
06-13-2013, 11:16
Dang, the worst of what's coming looks like it will be on top of the 'bubble' for thrus... I hope everybody hunkers down!worst place to be in high winds...in the woods with trees fallin all around, pretty freakin scary place to be. I'd head for a hotel and a meal.

hikerboy57
06-13-2013, 11:24
worst place to be in high winds...in the woods with trees fallin all around, pretty freakin scary place to be. I'd head for a hotel and a meal.
exhilarating!!!!!!!!

MDSection12
06-13-2013, 11:26
worst place to be in high winds...in the woods with trees fallin all around, pretty freakin scary place to be. I'd head for a hotel and a meal.

Yea, or at the very least get into a stand of small, young trees that will be able to take the winds without losing limbs. I'm usually paranoid about what's above me anyway, but today I'd be suspicious of every tree.

Sailing_Faith
06-13-2013, 11:33
Between the weather and the Noro virus, the class of '13 is having a rough time of it.

hikerboy57
06-13-2013, 11:38
Between the weather and the Noro virus, the class of '13 is having a rough time of it.
weathers definitely the worse of the two.if you get norovirus, its over in a day or so. the weather has been hammering class of 2013 for months.

rocketsocks
06-13-2013, 11:41
Yea, or at the very least get into a stand of small, young trees that will be able to take the winds without losing limbs. I'm usually paranoid about what's above me anyway, but today I'd be suspicious of every tree.yeah i don't care to have to look up at every creek or snap of a tree...makes yeah gun shy after a while or you just stop paying attention...even worse!

Between the weather and the Noro virus, the class of '13 is having a rough time of it.Lots of character building goin on this, it's good to have the dog knocked outta ya every now and again...but these folks are earnin it.....strong stock in the making.

rocketsocks
06-13-2013, 11:43
Lots of character building goin on this year, it's good to have the dog knocked outta ya every now and again...but these folks are earnin it.....strong stock in the making.
this year.......

rocketsocks
06-13-2013, 11:45
exhilarating!!!!!!!!freaking nerve racking

coach lou
06-13-2013, 12:33
will I get deleted if I talk about global raining?:(

rocketsocks
06-13-2013, 12:38
will I get deleted if I talk about global raining?:(No...It doesn't exist:D

MDSection12
06-13-2013, 12:44
will I get deleted if I talk about global raining?:(

Hilarious. Thanks! :D

slbirdnerd
06-13-2013, 12:54
This storm flew through here (north central ohio) last night. It wasn't nearly as bad as predicted so hopefully it will have weakened even more by the time it hits the trail. It did not become a derecho. We had high winds and thunder for a very short period, with some hail farther north. It is clearing but cool today. Be safe, all.

Wise Old Owl
06-13-2013, 12:59
its been a long time since Day turned to night... worse than a eclipse. Its the end of the world - pour me a beer.

Venchka
06-13-2013, 13:00
Where is a good, large Bald when you need it?
Be safe, Y'all!

Wayne

Smithwick
06-13-2013, 17:39
Yes, I went home due to the weather. I decided Mother Nature won. Glad I got off. Seems it has been more and more rain since I left the trail.

rocketsocks
06-13-2013, 17:50
Yes, I went home due to the weather. I decided Mother Nature won. Glad I got off. Seems it has been more and more rain since I left the trail.

No worries, you can try again sometime:)

johnnybgood
06-13-2013, 18:03
According to TWC, the Skyline Drive is closed due to fallen trees. Lots of thru hikers in the park now, hope everyone is alright.

Mitey Mo
06-13-2013, 18:24
I plan on hiking there on Saturday. Hope there is not too much damage. At my house we only got sprinkles. All around us were torrential rain and tornado warnings with one touch down

06-13-2013, 19:22
A forest ranger hiked south to warn the hikers on the at from James river to punchbowl, me daughter thru hiker attempt-er (Indigo) did not get finished with her day before it hit and she rode it out in punchbowl shelter got off at FS rd 39 little irish creek, now in the town that time forgot, "Glasgow". Staying with dinosaurs!
She got good and soaked but the quarter sized hail did not get her. The warnings timing was not so good it came earlier that expected. Just another day on the trial. So whats going to get thrown at them next week? earth quake? flash flood?

HikerMom58
06-13-2013, 19:26
A forest ranger hiked south to warn the hikers on the at from James river to punchbowl, me daughter thru hiker attempt-er (Indigo) did not get finished with her day before it hit and she rode it out in punchbowl shelter got off at FS rd 39 little irish creek, now in the town that time forgot, "Glasgow". Staying with dinosaurs!
She got good and soaked but the quarter sized hail did not get her. The warnings timing was not so good it came earlier that expected. Just another day on the trial. So whats going to get thrown at them next week? earth quake? flash flood?

Wow... I was right there just yesterday picking up a hiker. Love the dinosaur in Glasgow! :) I'm glad your daughter is safe!

Swordpen
06-14-2013, 02:35
So whats going to get thrown at them next week? earth quake? flash flood?

Volcano. .

Kookork
06-14-2013, 04:54
Special Man's patch for 2013 thru hikers seems more and more appropriate.

wornoutboots
06-14-2013, 09:29
I would rather hike in the Snow, Rain & Cooler temps than hike in the Extreme heat. It looks like the early starters could escape the heat if they can make it to the northern states soon?