PDA

View Full Version : Caratunk to Rangeley section hike this July

RyanK817
06-12-2013, 23:00
I'm heading up to Maine with a group of friends at the end of July, planning on doing the Caratunk to Rangeley section southbound. This was a challenging section during my thru attempt a few years ago, but I had 150 miles under my belt when I started it and really had my trail legs by the time I hit the Bigelows and the Saddleback range. I'm asking people who are more familiar with that area specifically: how tough is this section for a group of 30-ish guys in decent shape to just show up and start hiking? Our first day is going to be mostly flat, but I remember the hills getting pretty rugged starting up Little Bigelow. We're only going to average about 10-12 miles a day or so, but I know 10 miles in Maine doesn't equate to 10 miles most other places on the AT. Has anyone ever done just this approximate section and had a good experience?

We're looking to do a section around 70 miles, and this is one of my favorites, but I'm definitely open to any suggestions for other sections in Maine with similar mileage. We had originally planned to traverse the Whites from Pinkham to Franconia Notches, but I hear it gets pretty crowded that time of year. The AT doesn't really get any better than in Maine and New Hampshire!

SouthMark
06-13-2013, 07:00
My first section hike in Maine was at age 62 from Stratton to Andover. The Saddlebacks kicked my butt. If it had been my first ever backpacking trip, it would have been my last.

Cookerhiker
06-13-2013, 07:20
You're going in the right direction in that your first 2 days will be easier. But right off the bat, please don't go in thinking the stretch from Caratunk to Pierce Pond is "mostly flat." Sure, it's not as difficult as the Bigalows or Saddlebacks but it's still rugged footing and nearly all up and down.

I don't think Little Bigalow is as tough as the rest of the Bigalows, especially that first ascent from Safford Notch to Avery Peak; that ascent will make or break your hike.

I think that limiting yourselves to 10 mpd should make the hike more enjoyable. As you've said, Maine is one of the best. Lakes, moose, loons, blueberries, pancakes at Harrison Camps, views from the mountaintops. Just take your time and enjoy the beauty of Maine.

My NOBO journal from Rangeley starts here (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=114755).

Rain Man
06-13-2013, 09:09
We had originally planned to traverse the Whites from Pinkham to Franconia Notches, but I hear it gets pretty crowded that time of year. The AT doesn't really get any better than in Maine and New Hampshire!

I did NH (Hanover-to-Mt. Washington) last August and yes, there were plenty of people on the trails here and there, but I sure didn't feel it was "pretty crowded." For instance, I had weeknight reservations in two AMC huts and was able to "slide" each of them separately to later nights with no difficulty when my schedule slowed down. And I could have slept in the woods alone had I chosen.

The hiking in the Whites was brutal, ... but worth every minute. Only one mountaintop (Moosilauke) was covered in clouds and fog on my trip. Otherwise, clear blue sunny skies!

Rain:sunMan

Slo-go'en
06-13-2013, 09:49
Yep, the first couple of days won't be too bad, but after that! First the Bigelows, then the Crockers (or crokers as I like to call them), then Saddleback and quite a few little bumps in between. A difficult, but heck of a nice hike. But then, pretty much all of Maine is like that.

Figure for the most part you'll be going no more than 1 mph, especially if you don't want the group to get too far apart. That means 10 miles could take 10 or more hours to cover. Plan on only going shelter to shelter. Even though it might mean losing most of a day, you might think about doing a resupply at Stratton so don't have to carry a lot of food weight.

Cookerhiker
06-13-2013, 10:26
... Even though it might mean losing most of a day, you might think about doing a resupply at Stratton so don't have to carry a lot of food weight.

Good idea - I second this.

kidchill
06-14-2013, 17:54
Doing 10-12 miles a day shouldn't be too bad. It's doable. Just plan on getting up with the sun. Considering daylight hours, you'll be able to average a mile an hour and you're gonna want to enjoy the views. IMO, Saddleback is one of the best views on the trail. The Crockers weren't a bad climb (if it's the double peak I'm thinking of), but Avery was a biotch (for me anyways). Just take your time and you'll be fine. Also, yes, I would recommend stopping to resupply, even if it means loss of time. You will want your pack weight as low as possible if you're just hopping into hiking in Maine. I'd also recommend a shakedown and getting rid of useless items as well as being aware of how much water to carry. For some stupid reason I was always carrying water in Maine even though there was a source every couple of miles. By the time I hit VT I literally never carried water (until I hit PA) unless it was a long section, or I needed to carry it to camp (I tended to use campsites and hidden spots vs shelters).

RyanK817
07-07-2013, 23:15
Thanks for the advice all. We are definitely stopping at Stratton halfway through to resupply and spend the evening at Sue's hostel to relax.

Bumping this thread to ask: does anyone know what trail conditions are like in this section? The trail is washed out down here in GA, and I read a recap from someone's trip through the 100-mile wilderness last week that it was the worst trail conditions he had ever seen. We may need to allot an extra day or so if the trail is exceptionally water-logged 2 weeks from today.