PDA

View Full Version : VA AT Loop hike recommendations

Shonryu
06-13-2013, 01:56
My twin brother and I are looking for a preferred nobo loop hike north of Roanoke to do during the second week of July. We just completed the VA triple crown which I think was 32 miles and were able to extend it out to 74 and were able to knock it out in 3 1/2 days. We are looking for something similar to that experience. But since we are taking my daughter with us on this trip who is 11 we would like to keep it around 40-50 miles over 3 1/2 days. We are only going to have one vehicle so we won't be able to shuttle. Since we are taking my daughter knowing that there is going to be reliable water sources is also important. If you have any recommendations and can point those out as well it would be much appreciated. I have combed the net trying to find something that covers longer distances like I'm looking for that are loops but with no luck. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. If anyone knows a reliable shuttle service in the area that would be a big game changer. We would need to be shuttled back on July 10th around 5 and 7pm give or take.

Tuckahoe
06-13-2013, 06:57
I have not done this loop, I have only been looking at this potential loop as I planned next week's hike.

This loop would allow you to take in Dragons Tooth, McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs. You could park in Daleville and hike the AT SB towards Lamberts Meadow. Past Lamberts pick up the Andy Layne trail to the Catawba Valley trail then pick up the North Mountain Trail. Take the North Mountain trail to where Iit crosses Rt311 and picks up the Dragons Tooth Trail, and then that trail to the AT and then take the AT NB from Dragons Tooth, to Tinker Cliffs and past Tinker, you'll have closed the loop by hiking by Lamberts Meadow. Continue back to Daleville.

Shonryu
06-13-2013, 09:54
Thanks for the response. That's actually part of the VA Tripple Crown with Andy Lane extending into the Northern Mountain around to Dragons Tooth. If you haven't done that hike I would highly recommend it. Having done that one makes it difficult to find a section that comes close to that one.

scrabbler
06-13-2013, 21:50
I have not done this loop, I have only been looking at this potential loop as I planned next week's hike.

This loop would allow you to take in Dragons Tooth, McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs. You could park in Daleville and hike the AT SB towards Lamberts Meadow. Past Lamberts pick up the Andy Layne trail to the Catawba Valley trail then pick up the North Mountain Trail. Take the North Mountain trail to where Iit crosses Rt311 and picks up the Dragons Tooth Trail, and then that trail to the AT and then take the AT NB from Dragons Tooth, to Tinker Cliffs and past Tinker, you'll have closed the loop by hiking by Lamberts Meadow. Continue back to Daleville.

Do you know the distance of this loop, from Lamberts Meadow and back to Lamberts?? Looks great!

Shonryu
06-14-2013, 00:35
I have no clue. When we did it we took 311s in Catawba and parked at the trail head to Macafee. The tripple crown directions we used were Macafee > Tinkers Cliffs > Andy Lane > Northern Mountain > Dragoons Tooth. If you go that route and your on Andys Lane heading to the Northern Mountains head towards Turkey Trail. Total distance is 32 or 33 miles. Just make sure if you go that route you take plenty of water when you hit the Northern Mountain to Dragons tooth. There is a little creek on the way to Macafee and one I think at the shelter after Tinkers cliff. Once you get to Andy Lane I think about 4 miles in there was a really nice stream that had a bridge that my brother and I had breakfast on. Watch out for the cows out there once you pass the bridge and don't wear any red or take it off. Once you hit the Norther mountains there is no water for at least 13 miles until you reach Dragons tooth. You'll find plenty there at the base. If you olan on camping in the N Mountains try to do it in a valley. We made the mistake of sleeping on top and temps got to around 35 with gusts around 50 mph. After your done with Dragons tooth you can take the trail back to the parking lot where you started.